Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Tasing of 72-year-old woman was appropriate, officials say

11 posts in this topic

What do you guys think of this?

I know this stretch of road is VERY dangerous. Also, the local media is now reporting that the woman, after doing numerous interviews that are now proved lies by the dashcam, has now refused comment and her lawyer has dropped the case after the dashcam release.

Tasing of 72-year-old woman was appropriate, officials say

Woman posed a danger during traffic stop on Texas 71, official says.

By Isadora Vail , Patrick George

AUSTIN AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Travis County law enforcement officials are standing behind the actions of a constable who used a Taser on a 72-year-old woman during a May traffic stop, saying the officer acted properly in a dangerous situation.

FULL STORY: http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news...610tasered.html

Suprising the lady actually was going too fast, elderly usually go slow

Alot of people are saying "why was it necessary to tase her, she was 72." The guy who shot up the Halocaust museum today was 88. Age is NO judge of potential harm.

Edited by SageVigiles

Alot of people are saying "why was it necessary to tase her, she was 72." The guy who shot up the Halocaust museum today was 88. Age is NO judge of potential harm.

Well said, Sage! Thanks!

Rather than let her harm him or herself, the officer Tased her. In the old days, I guess he would have either put her in a hold, given her a whack with a baton, or sprayed her. I think the Taser is more humane and less harmful than all of the above, having cared for multiple Taser patients who have never suffered more than tiny holes in their skin. Most don't even get a Bandaid after their mandatory ALS workup and eval at the local ED.

Rather than let her harm him or herself, the officer Tased her. In the old days, I guess he would have either put her in a hold, given her a whack with a baton, or sprayed her. I think the Taser is more humane and less harmful than all of the above, having cared for multiple Taser patients who have never suffered more than tiny holes in their skin. Most don't even get a Bandaid after their mandatory ALS workup and eval at the local ED.

Question:

You mentioned "mandatory ALS workup"....does that mean that every individual who has had the taser applied to them is evaluated by ALS and treated at an ER or is that just local SOP/SOG?

Second:

If in fact it is mandatory for ALS workup and ER visit, who foots the bill for the treatment, the government or the individual?

Question:

You mentioned "mandatory ALS workup"....does that mean that every individual who has had the taser applied to them is evaluated by ALS and treated at an ER or is that just local SOP/SOG?

Second:

If in fact it is mandatory for ALS workup and ER visit, who foots the bill for the treatment, the government or the individual?

The X62C series electronic control device manufactured by Taser International is what i've seen all cops use. That taser pulses 1,200 volts into your body. It makes sense to get an ALS work up...at the very least cardiac monitoring. That said, even from a sheer standpoint of liability it's a no-brainer.

As far as billing...i couldn't tell you. Maybe one of the LEOs can elaborate on that. Maybe it's the perp's responsibility because he/she was being a moron?

Edited by Goose

Generally the reason for the ALS assessment/transport is not so much the actual tasing, but the reason why they were tased in the first place. The vast majority of deaths associated with taser patients have been due to agitated delirium; the patient is in a medical condition (drugs, psychiatric, etc) that caused the actions leading to them being tased. We teach our medics that it is not the shock we are concerned about; it's the big dose of cocaine (or hypoglycemia, or acute psychosis, or half a dozen other causes) that led to their agitation in the first place.

Did anyone notice the video has been edited? There is a good chunk missing. I wonder what the associated press edited out?

Skooter, what is the "mandatory ALS workup" consist of and eval at the local hospital at the hospital is required for ALL taserees?

Generally the reason for the ALS assessment/transport is not so much the actual tasing, but the reason why they were tased in the first place. The vast majority of deaths associated with taser patients have been due to agitated delirium; the patient is in a medical condition (drugs, psychiatric, etc) that caused the actions leading to them being tased. We teach our medics that it is not the shock we are concerned about; it's the big dose of cocaine (or hypoglycemia, or acute psychosis, or half a dozen other causes) that led to their agitation in the first place.

This makes sense - don't treat the shock but rather the underlying condition(s). Just out of curiosity, what percentage of taser suspects do you actually transport and of those how many are ALS?