Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY's Newest Ambulances?

7 posts in this topic

I've heard rumors from other forums that FDNY's newest ambulance bid may be different in several ways from previous bids. This includes chasis and manufacturer. Anybody that can elaborate and confirm or deny?

I know they've been with Horton for a long time, including the recent Haz/Tac and Rescue Medic ambulances. Before that, they aqquired ambulances from H&H which were Wheeled Coaches.

I would figure they would stay with Horton. Although I do remember Wheeled Coach caused a stir a few years back about only Horton getting the contract, and the NY Time did a pretty informative article about it.

2nd that.....

I spoke with the Horton dealer about a month ago and he told me that they are switching to the Dodge Chassis for the next round of FDNY trucks. He cited an unhappiness with Ford Service as the main reason for the switch.

I spoke with the Horton dealer about a month ago and he told me that they are switching to the Dodge Chassis for the next round of FDNY trucks. He cited an unhappiness with Ford Service as the main reason for the switch.

That should be interesting....with all the trouble Chrysler's experiencing and the temporary closing of plants this summer, I'd imagine it would be hard to get a Dodge chasis....I know there's been a big switch to Dodge chasis down here as well for the same reasons, however I've noticed a dwindling inventory on the Dodge truck dealers lots.

Every contract since I got on has been going to someone other than Ford, yet every year its more Ford. The FDNY ambulance spec is annoying with a lot of little things no one else does. Horton has developed a model thats for all intents and purposes the FDNY spec so its easy for them to get the bid. As far as I know they don't have a preference for any chassis so it can really go to anyone, but I'd be surprised to see something other than a Horton on the back.

2nd that.....

3rd That. P&L is garbage. Who here has P&L or Rescue1 apparatus that has major electrical problems?