Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firefighter35

Extrictation Tool Thoughts

16 posts in this topic

Looking to get input on people’s thoughts on hydraulic extrication tools, We’re in the process of looking to replace ours. What are your likes and dislikes, what do you think is comfortable and easy to deploy. Thanks for the input.

Ditto on Holmatro

The pump unit is pretty quiet as well.

Another one for Holmatro Core. We just replaced our Hurst tools last fall with Holmatro after looking at many others and evaluating Amkus and Hurst. We run the small gas power units (DPU 31's) which are under 40 lbs, have Honda motors which start on the first pull and fully power two tools each.

Specifically we liked the twist throttle type controls as the thumb actuators tend to cause soreness fairly quickly. The Amkus was a close second but the moving handle was odd feeling, never in the right spot and moved too easily. Also the Core hose is great. No dump valve!! Plug and play.

I also must say that holmatro is they way to go. We have a full set of holmatro tolls on our rescue and a pair of jaws on our pumper rescue. We love them and have had no issues with them. There very light and easy to use compared to the hurst system.

can't speak on holmatro because I have not used the, however we just placed a new set of Genesis tools into service and are awaiting our other set. The new tools have genesis's OSC coupler that is a single twist and look coupler and it also allows for the tools to be hot switched, and the new tools have a stronger cutting force.

One a side not our Asst. Chief is on of the big auto extrication teachers and a couple years ago he broke multiple sets of holmatro tools at state fire school that holmatro brought for his class to demo.

We run Lukas which was bought by Hurst a couple years back and we've never had a problem. They are lighter than the Hurst tools and have twist controls which are real easy to use. They also have the cutters that cut thru the new gen metal thats out there (I's sure others do too ). I've used Hurst , Lukas and holmatro and out of them I like the lukas and not just because we have them. I think , but I'm not sure Putnam Valley has Lukas and they would be the ones to ask being as they probably use them once a week on the parkway

I have used bith Hurst and Holmatro and like both. Each has its advantage but the Core Technology Holmotro has makes for qucik set up and usage in my opinion. At work we have ou rescue-engine with a full set of Hurst and our primary attack engine with a Holotro combi tool.

Personally I am a Holmatro fan and have been for many years since they first broke out into the market. Much for the same reason as the others have mentioned. I prefer the twist handle, the core technology was a huge advancement. As an extrication instructor I had access to their 27" spreader which was one of the best sizes I came to like as it gave you enough spread to be effective and it was decent sized for use. Holmatro also had one of the longest continuous rams on the market.

Hurst does have the strongest tools on the market and although they have gotten lighter they still are often the heaviest tools out there.

Lukas...one of the departments I operate with has been a Lukas user and a former department used Amkus until they switched to Holmatro (I got to write the spec for the that one :D ) and wasn't all that impressed or had any real negatives about them other then their weight and again I prefer the twist handle as I feel it is more ergonomical.

If you PM me..I can give you the name of a well respected colleague of mine who is one of the best extrication instructors I've ever met and has looked at every tool out there as he was responsible for purchasing them for a large department.

We have run with holmatro , TNT, and Lukas and in all the tnt portable tools work extremely well , holmatro is also very good however the ones we had didnt have the power the tnt and lukas had. out dept is also looking to upgrade and we did a demo with hurst and the new high pressure tools and they were amazing the whole set up is perfect for low manpower situations and the toold are lighter then the ones we have now so i advise you to look into hurst and ask for a demo from them

+1 for Holmatro

We currently use Amkus Tools and are happy with their performance. A few of us went to Fire Expo in Baltimore last year and took a 2 day Extrication Class in which all manufacturers were present and everyone had a chance to use all of them. At the end of the day we still preferred the Amkus System. We actually have a new Rescue being built at present with the Amkus Ultimate System on board and 4 reels. It cuts even quicker than the current Amkus pumps that we have in use. Cant wait. That in addition to a new technology cutter (AMK-22) capable of a cutting force of over 200,000 lbs, and some other new tools, we should be in good shape. I would invite anyone down to take a look, but it wont be delivered till January.

I see that a bunch of guys here like the Holmatro, but personally I didn't think compared overall side by side to the others. Hurst was good, but like others said, the weight of the tools is their downfall. I heard that they (Hurst) were putting out a new add-on connector that you put on the end of each tool and line set and it allows for a 1 - hookup connection (similar to Holmatro). Not sure how that worked out for them.

Good Luck. I am sure whatever you end up with you will like.

I got to use the TNT system at a recent class and was very impressed with it. Very powerful system. I was particularly impressed with the multiple outlet ports allowing for multiple tool operations off of one rather light weight power source. Its currently being field tested by the rescue companies in the city and all the reviews have been very positive. I have also used Hurst & Holmatro quite extensively and feel they are both quality products. Each system has their inherent pro's and cons.

Hurst

Hurst Centaur (Lukas)

Holmatro® Rescue Equipment

(CORE Technology)

Amkus Rescue Systems

TNT Rescue Systems

Which one is better?

I get this question all the time.

All of these tools will get the job done and they all have plusses and minuses. I think the most important factor with all of these tools is training, training, training if your department has the best and strongest tool but doesn’t train with the tool what’s the point? And I mean train regularly with cars, vans, trucks and busses. Just starting the tool once a week, checking the fluid levels and cleaning the hoses doesn’t count as training that’s maintenance.

And don’t forget Modern Car Technology (that’s a subject for another day)

Ill concentrate with the top two in my opinion: Hurst and Holmatro

You can’t go wrong with either one of these brands

Hurst Centaur (High Pressure low Volume 10,000 psi) is the strongest and almost as maneuverable as the Halmatro Tool. If you want to see a nice new setup I think Millwood has a nice setup.

Hurst (Low pressure High Volume 5000 psi) almost as strong as the Centaur, Its weight holds it back a little in my opinion.

Many departments in Westchester and Putnam have nice Hurst tool set ups, Lake Mohegan’s rescue engines are nice examples of how it can be done.

I hear a lot of complaints about the weight

With proper training and team work I don’t see that as a negative, and really guys the only time you have to hold the tool for extended periods of time is in training.

Holmatro’s Core (High Pressure low Volume 10,000 psi) is a strong tool, the cutters and spreaders weight makes them much more maneuverable than other tools, and the Core Technology couplers are fantastic.

The only minor problem I have with Holmatro is the Deadman's handle with positive grip make it possible to get your hand trapped between the car and the handle when the tool starts to torque towards the car under power. (I’ve seen it happen many times)

With proper technique and training this can be prevented thanks to Capt. R. Benz FDNR

Many Departments in Westchester are switching to Halmatro even the Westchester County Fire Training center has a nice setup on L-7

I've used Hurst and Holmatro in the past in the fire service and I've had the opportunity to play with Amkus in the Past. The tools and metals have changed over the years and now I'm curious to see whats user friendly that will also work with the new metals, the manufactures will say there tool will do it, but I would like to hear from the end user out in the field. Thank you all for the input.

yeah, our dept. has hurst. On our main/first due piece of apparatus, rescue/ third due piece of apparatus we have this. We are pretty content with what we have.