Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Photounit

Assaulted while Photographing HVVFA Parade in Lake George

13 posts in this topic

I went up to Lake George yesterday to photograph the Hudson Valley Volunteer Fireman's Association parade..... I debated going due to the less than favorable weather forecast but decide to go anyway....... After finding a place to park, I set my equipment up on Canada St. in an unoccupied parking space some 1500ft from the reviewing stand so I wouldn't impact the judges..... Under threatening skies with one camera on a tripod and the other hand held, I began to photograph the parade.............. All is good....... No rain yet and good vantage point to get photographs....... Then without any warning, things got ugly...... After about 15 minutes into the parade as I was waiting for the next unit to march past, without any warning I was assaulted from behind......... I won't get into the mechanics of the assault but I will say that it was not only without warning, but it was also unprovoked, unjustifiable, unbelievable, and just plain wrong........ The worst part perhaps was who the person was that assaulted me......It was the "Outgoing" President of the Hudson Valley Volunteer Fireman's Association who was in his parade uniform. I was caught totally off guard by his actions as were all the spectators who watched in disbelief as the event occurred....... Many watched with young children who came to watch a parade but instead were subjected to an act of violence and aggression instead........ I was totally dumbfounded and as I write this, I STILL AM..... Nothing I did - AND I DID NOTHING WRONG - let me repeat myself, I DID NOTHING WRONG! could possibly justify what happened to me...... After the event numerous people came over to me to ask if I was OK several suggesting that I should call the police others volunteering their contact info- all were shocked at what they had witnessed........... I had to exercise great restraint in not responding back to his aggressions but I was able to do it which I assure you was not easy, but I knew I had to...... I began to pack up my equipment to leave because it was pretty obvious that I was not welcome here.....Then I realized that would be the wrong thing to do as then I'm in a way punishing myself and everybody else by not taking the photos so I stayed and continued on...... I was totally numb the rest of the day and was always looking over my shoulder as God knows what could happen next...... I could not think clearly but I managed to do OK and I will post the photos in the near future....... It was a great parade that was marred by an unfortunate event that we all should be ashamed of......... What kind of message did this send to all those kids that were watching? A big black eye for the Volunteer Fire Service and I feel terrible that I was part of sending the message...... :(:(:(:(

Sorry that you had such a negative time.

I understand you may have done nothing wrong...but in the same post you say you were apparently not welcome there....is there some past history or something there? Your post is rather vague but also confusing in some things you won't speak of and other things that you do describe.

And not for nothing...and again I'm sorry that you were subjected to something that obviously effected you in a very negative way....why would you not contact law enforcement but rather post your incident in an open forum? I highly doubt the person that you speak of just out of the blue decided to pick you out of everyone in the area to have an alledged altercation with.

Very saddened to hear this occurred - especially during something that i assume is supposed to be positive/fun event. I also am confused as to why you did not contact law enforcement immediately - you do what you have to do and feel comfortable with, but thats what the police are there for. At the very least, there would be a written record of what occurred. Glad that you are OK.

Sorry that you had such a negative time.

I understand you may have done nothing wrong...but in the same post you say you were apparently not welcome there....is there some past history or something there? Your post is rather vague but also confusing in some things you won't speak of and other things that you do describe.

And not for nothing...and again I'm sorry that you were subjected to something that obviously effected you in a very negative way....why would you not contact law enforcement but rather post your incident in an open forum? I highly doubt the person that you speak of just out of the blue decided to pick you out of everyone in the area to have an alledged altercation with.

There is no prior history ...... If someone came up behind you and grabbed you by the neck would you take that as a sign that you presence is not wanted? I'm not intending to be vague, it's just not necessary to go into all the minute details here... I didn't get the Police involved because it would have really ruined the day and probably put more of this in the public light.... Writing about this here is for the most part amongst us - Firefighters some of whom voted this guy into office....

And as far as out of the blue picking me out....... I don't know........ I was looking through the photo's...... This was one of the first few photo's I took of the HVVFA members marching ..... The first individual was my problem.....What do the facial expressions look like to you?

569914519_mpBEw-XL.jpg

Full image to give you an idea how far away I was from them

569911796_PudBB-XL.jpg

Crop of image showing facial expressions........ I have spoke to the fourth gentleman in line on several occasions and he always has been courteous to me...... I don't know about you but If I was able to see these expressions when I took the shot, I would have thought somethings up...... Please don't even bother trying to turn this around...... Even IF I did do something wrong, it couldn't possibly justify what happended......

Edited by Photounit

Damn Bill......that is CRAZY! I wish I was there with you...I would have throttled the guy for you...it would have been a good thing he was already wearing red!

Some "assualts" you and you come on here to complain about it but leave out the "mechanics"? Somethin dosent sound right.

me thinks there is a WHOLE LOT more to this story ..... I'm not saying you weren't assaulted but if you were a completely innocent victim then you would have called the police and pressed charges. From reading your post it almost seemed like you are trying to get out ahead of something before more of the story comes out... any way just my 2 cents

Maybe he is mad because your photos you take are the best in the world. Ok maybe I am kissing a little a**, but Bill you did the right thing. You were the bigger and better man. You are the man. We need to be safe out thier on a scene and off and seriouslly need to watch our backs. Everyone stay safe.

Thomas

me thinks there is a WHOLE LOT more to this story ..... I'm not saying you weren't assaulted but if you were a completely innocent victim then you would have called the police and pressed charges. From reading your post it almost seemed like you are trying to get out ahead of something before more of the story comes out... any way just my 2 cents

You guys are unreal....... Believe what you want...... Read my lips - THERE IS NO MORE TO THE STORY...... I'm done defending myself because I didn't do anything wrong.....

Why whould you post your story here? thats asking for it good or bad!

Which one of the guys came after you?

Why do all of them have a look of anger?

Were you also wearing a red coat?! :P

Are you a Crypt?!

Edited by Remember585