Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nwpfdjr27

Response Codes

8 posts in this topic

I was recently reading the incident alert for the traumatic fall in Carmel, and the dispatch is listed as a "Delta level" call. I work for a paid EMS agency in the Capital region and in the Albany/Schenectady area, responses are coded as Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, and Echo with Alpha being the least serious and adversely Echo being the most serious (there is some variation in the codes as to priority 1 or priority 2 depending on the fire/EMS agency involved). I was just wondering first of all if this is the type of "level" that is being referred to, and second if this is correct, do any other agencies in the area use a dispatched "response code"? Thanks all in advance.

That is correct. In Putnam County we use the ProQA EMD system which after asking certain questions it provides a response level:

Alpha- being the least level in which only a BLS ambulance is sent(although it is dispatcher discretion to to upgrade to send a medic.

Bravo- BLS & ALS

Charlie- BLS & ALS

Delta- BLS & ALS

Echo- BLS & ALS which is usually Cardiac Arrest or current Choking

That is correct. In Putnam County we use the ProQA EMD system which after asking certain questions it provides a response level:

Alpha- being the least level in which only a BLS ambulance is sent(although it is dispatcher discretion to to upgrade to send a medic.

Bravo- BLS & ALS

Charlie- BLS & ALS

Delta- BLS & ALS

Echo- BLS & ALS which is usually Cardiac Arrest or current Choking

OK? What's the difference between Bravo, Charlie,Delta and Echo responses? I know in the Medical Priority system has a similar ALS/BLS triage system and how they respond (not at all, emergency or cold) was determined by the card.

Edited by antiquefirelt

OK? What's the difference between Bravo, Charlie,Delta and Echo responses? I know in the Medical Priority system has a similar ALS/BLS triage system and how they respond (not at all, emergency or cold) was determined by the card.

It's kind of like the "expedite" button. Maybe somehow it is supposed to make you get there faster or something. I don't actually understand it. Either you're going or not. If you need a medic, call one, or send them back if you didn't need them.

Thanks for the information, I was unaware of any other area that used that type of system. Antiquefirelt to answer your question for where I work in this system Alpha and Bravo responses are non-emergency responses and Charlie, Delta, and Echo are all emergency responses. Since ALS is provided by the fire departments, a medic is always sent, the coding of the call usually corresponds to the severity of the incident (as PC_420 said, Echos are usually for cardiac arrest pts). Thanks again for the input.

In Dutchess, we use

Priority 1 - Life threatening

Priority 2 - Serious / may be under care of a doctor

Priority 3 - BLS medical emergency

Priority 4 - Low urgency BLS call - non emergency response

So the priority's are just the opposite of the alpha system

........so much for NIMS !

According to the county structure,

Alpha is 'BLS cold'.

Bravo is 'BLS hot'.

Charlie is 'ALS cold',and

Delta is 'ALS hot'.

Echo is really really hot

At one time it was the intention that ALS not respond to Alpha or Bravo calls, but given the relatively low volume in the system, it was decided that medics could be dispatched to Bravo level calls. It's a poor system. Any system is only as good as its weakest part. At some point a hysterical, untrained, civilian[ the caller] is part of the process. In the end, EVERYONE has difficulty breathing, and bleeding is always severe. EMD adds 3 to 5 minutes from time of call to time of dispatch, and adds nothing to the process. For a while, as an experiment, I kept a bag with weighted choices [ 5 alphas, 4 bravos, 3 charlies, 2 deltas] and drew one for each call. Randomly selecting a response is about as accurate for what the call actually turns out to be as it is using EMD.