Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GFD70

Port Chester Firehouse

12 posts in this topic

A few weeks back I was in Port Chester and past an abandoned firehouse opposite the new shopping center in the downtown area. I was wondering what was up with it and why/ how long it's benn empty as well as what companies where housed there. Thanks!!

If I remember correctly, that was Putnam and Mellor Engines. The house was abandoned sometime in the 90's due to a "mudslide???" that undermined the structural integrity of the building.

There was a tin house that wasn't too far from there(I forgot the name of the street) that housed one of the engines. I don't remember which one.

South Main St fire house was closed due to the collapse of the sea wall behind the building in 1994,, after the collapse Puts(Putnum Eng co) was relocated to the brooksville Station and the village erected the" tin house" on Brick oven Rd. in the parking lot for Mellor Eng and Hose Co. Nothing has been done to the build because it is on the national historic building list.

Thanks. Thats too bad. It looked like it could be used again but just needed to be renovated.

The building needs suvere structrual repair, however both companies as well as U-65 are now housed at their new firehouse, station 2/3 on the end of grace church street.

is there any chance that firehouse will be fixed and utilty 65 can be put in there

Would this be the Firehouse that we are talking about?

IMG_3567.jpg

Dont you just love those old firehouses? Too bad todays modern rigs cant fit or weigh too much for them without major repairs.

Great photo of the Firehouse! Makes it look totally different and like it's in a different location other then congested downtown PC.

firehouse not owned by village anymore. they gave it away about five years ago to G & S who is building complex across street. talk about a restaurant or bar or may be a micro brewery! what ever they do I HOPE THEY SAVE IT.

A bar or a returant would be a great thing. I spent a lot of time there as a kid as my old man was a member , past Captain of Mellor Hose. Playing shuffle board , drinking yuhoo's on the 3rd floor on sundays was the best.

A private concern purchased the old Danbury Fire HQ and turned it into a steak house and then a club. They did a real good job on it . Actually became the anchor for thier entertainment district.