Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MGMedic

Hosp-itality Abuse

6 posts in this topic

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07122009/news/...8789.htm?page=0

I have "treated" both of them. The one on the right currently "lives" in my primary area. We have had "intense" discussions in the past regarding his abuse of the system. I hope it was I or my partner he was thinking of when he mentioned the medic "chewing him out".

I wish this caused some sort of public outcry.

Granted, I don't know the situation that led some of these people to their status now, but this is how I see it.

Working in the ER, I see this exact situation on a daily basis, more often during the winter, for a nice warm soft bed. What REALLY irks me, is that all the money I pay into taxes, that go to pay for these bums, come from me serving them in the ER. So when I am paying taxes by working, and they are benefiting, it is doubly killing me. I am paying them, to come in, and be served BY me!!!!!

Unfortunettly, this problem is really widespread. I've been seeing hospitals around here developing programs where social workers intervene, but these people still call EMS regardless. As long as there are lawyers still around, and refusing transport stands a fine line legally, this problem is never going to go away.

What sucks even more is having to go code 3 to these jobs (because the callers up-triage themselves after years of experience) only to find out it's the same guy that another one of your crews took to the ER 6 hours ago and was released 4 hours prior. Then you have to deal with the flak from the hospital, as if we have some choice in this whole matter.

This is an instance where i would not be oppose to seeing society turn their backs on these types of bottom feeders. Maybe then they would get the idea?

What sucks even more is having to go code 3 to these jobs (because the callers up-triage themselves after years of experience) only to find out it's the same guy that another one of your crews took to the ER 6 hours ago and was released 4 hours prior. Then you have to deal with the flak from the hospital, as if we have some choice in this whole matter.

This is an instance where i would not be oppose to seeing society turn their backs on these types of bottom feeders. Maybe then they would get the idea?

All true but until the entire social services system gets an overhaul and people are actually accountable for their actions (or inactions) this is what we've got and the healthcare industry shoulders the load.

There have been system abusers for as long as there has been a system. Sadly, nobody seems to want to fix the problem.