Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KC2OBW

Trial By Fire: The New York City Fire Museum

9 posts in this topic

amsome video. anyone ever been there???

I want to go there..I think the next time I take a trip down to Manhattan I'll go and check it out.

I went there two years ago with my Wife while touring NYC on our anniversary.

It was not all that I had expected, but there are alot of historical items on display. There are brochures about the Volunteer Company's (pre-Career) attending and hosting parades, along with other historical items from the Volunteer era. There is an awesome room dedicated to 9/11. A very solemn place.

Here are some pictures of a silver serving tray representing the Volunteer Company's of the era. The first picture is of the plaque that is attached to the display of this tray.

post-27-1247704897.jpg

post-27-1247704910.jpg

Each goblet stem is a Fire Chief with a trumpet.

post-27-1247704921.jpg

Note the intricate detailing on the "helmet" ladle above, and a closer view below.

post-27-1247704931.jpg

post-27-1247704942.jpg

Note the hoses attached to the fire hydrants (plugs).

This last picture is not at the Museum, but we walked by here and I had to take the picture.

post-27-1247705869.jpg

I visited down there in July 2007. Lots of history, and very informative, and nice staff.

n500429990_91402_6381.jpg

The real treasures are where eyes will never see them, the basement. There is more uncataloged history of the FDNY in the basement than a life time of researching could provide.

Word? whats in the basement

Edited by KC2OBW

When we were in the basement there were rooms stacked to the ceiling with company journals. Shelves with every inch stacked with boxes of photos, old helmets, boxes, tools and even parts of hand drawn wagons. There was stuff that people found in attics of relatives that were brought there and stuff from make shift 911 memorials. It is very humbling. I didn't watch the entire video but I believe the gentleman in the video worked in the Tin House during the war years. He is walking talking FDNY firefighting knowledge and history. He has truly forgotten more than I will ever learn.

so after liking the video so much i took the 95 mile drive and 25 min train ride and 10 min subway and the 5 min walk to go to the museum and i was amazed at the info and artifacts of the fdny and nyfd deffinatley something i think everyone should go see.