Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

Judge rules FDNY exams discriminated against minorities

7 posts in this topic

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/22/firefi...tion/index.html

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A federal judge ruled Wednesday that the New York City Fire Department used recruitment exams that discriminated against African-American and Hispanic applicants.

U.S. District Judge Nicholas Garaufis found that the written tests had "discriminatory effects and little relationship to the job of a firefighter." Garaufis also concluded that the "examinations unfairly excluded hundreds of qualified people of color from the opportunity to serve as New York City firefighters," thus, he said, constituting employment discrimination.

Oh boy ! Here we go again !

unreal. i wont go any further and get myself in trouble.

Amazing how the City has 2 million for a reruitment drive but wanted to close Stations and Companies! What a waste of taxpayers money! Do you know that as part of the recruitment drive they give applicants wake up calls and rides to the test sites. Why doesn't the media publish the number of minority applicants that actually showed up to take the test, as to the total number who signed up for it. A test where you can't give a wrong answer. What a disgrace. God help the taxpayers of NYC.

So anyone know if they have any plans to put another test out in the near future? Or are they going to sit around and do nothing for 3 years?

unreal. i wont go any further and get myself in trouble.

i second that

I didn't know skin color mattered in being a firefighter. Last I checked we are all black on the street (tan in my case) because that's what color our turnouts are. In the station, we're all blue, because that's what color our uniforms are. I doubt the people who need our help care what color our skin is..... Those that are so worried about skin color are detracting from our true mission: helping people, regardless of race, creed, politics, etc.

Edited by mbendel36