Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bronxfireradio

Ridge Hill development in Yonkers & fire protection

7 posts in this topic

From the Westchester County Business Journal

First Look at Ridge Hill in Yonkers

By Bob Rozycki

FCRC agreed to contribute up to $3 million for a new firehouse when the city builds it, "but not necessarily on this site," Pesin said.

I read this in the WCBJ today. Anyone hear of a possible location or date of construction for a new firehouse? Or what company would be banded (or re-banded)?

Link to article:

First Look at Ridge Hill in Yonkers

I am sure that someone within the YFD is more qualified to answer these questions than anyone else. I, too, had originally read that when the Ridge Hill Development was being planned, that the developer agreed to build a New Fire House somewhere near the development, as part of adding to the fire protection needed for this new venture. There have been many who have posted on EMTBravo in the past, that it would be a New Ladder Company (possibly Ladder 77, since Ladder 76, 78 and 79 are currently either spares or reserves). What others have also posted is whether or not a New Fire Station for Ridge Hill would be for a Single Company (ie: A New Ladder Company) or for a Multi-Unit Station. Thus the "Rumors" (and I can only state that these are RUMORS) that "possibly" a New Station 10 would be constructed somewhere along Tuckahoe Road near the base of the Ridge Hill Complex (maybe near the current Water Works Building), which would then house Engine 310 and "Ladder 77?" (Then another rumor was mentioned that the current Station 10 would be the ideal place for the YFD Museum (rather than the Old Station 8 Carrage House, which appears to be beyond repair/renovation).

But, with the Economic Crisis in hand, I am not sure if the City of Yonkers is in a position to add the Manpower and Equipment needed to have a New Ladder Company for Ridge Hill (Remember, just a few short months ago, there was talks of layoffs, cutbacks in hours and demotions in rank that either happened or were talked about).

Let's hope that maybe Chief Fitzpatrick, Chief Flynn or maybe Commissioner Pagano can come on here and shed some light, given this updated information that you had found on the Westchester Business Journal relating to the "Update" on the Ridge Hill Project.

I am sure that someone within the YFD is more qualified to answer these questions than anyone else. I, too, had originally read that when the Ridge Hill Development was being planned, that the developer agreed to build a New Fire House somewhere near the development, as part of adding to the fire protection needed for this new venture. There have been many who have posted on EMTBravo in the past, that it would be a New Ladder Company (possibly Ladder 77, since Ladder 76, 78 and 79 are currently either spares or reserves). What others have also posted is whether or not a New Fire Station for Ridge Hill would be for a Single Company (ie: A New Ladder Company) or for a Multi-Unit Station. Thus the "Rumors" (and I can only state that these are RUMORS) that "possibly" a New Station 10 would be constructed somewhere along Tuckahoe Road near the base of the Ridge Hill Complex (maybe near the current Water Works Building), which would then house Engine 310 and "Ladder 77?" (Then another rumor was mentioned that the current Station 10 would be the ideal place for the YFD Museum (rather than the Old Station 8 Carrage House, which appears to be beyond repair/renovation).

But, with the Economic Crisis in hand, I am not sure if the City of Yonkers is in a position to add the Manpower and Equipment needed to have a New Ladder Company for Ridge Hill (Remember, just a few short months ago, there was talks of layoffs, cutbacks in hours and demotions in rank that either happened or were talked about).

Let's hope that maybe Chief Fitzpatrick, Chief Flynn or maybe Commissioner Pagano can come on here and shed some light, given this updated information that you had found on the Westchester Business Journal relating to the "Update" on the Ridge Hill Project.

Ove the last two or three years, there have been extensive talks and research involving YFD management, unions, elected and other governmental officials, as well as the developers themselves, regarding the issues you have raised. At this time, no final decisions have been made, and it would not be appropriate for those of us who have been involved in these discussions to divulge any of the details of what has been discussed on this site. Nothing is imminent.

Ove the last two or three years, there have been extensive talks and research involving YFD management, unions, elected and other governmental officials, as well as the developers themselves, regarding the issues you have raised. At this time, no final decisions have been made, and it would not be appropriate for those of us who have been involved in these discussions to divulge any of the details of what has been discussed on this site. Nothing is imminent.

Didn't mean to cause any disdain or trouble! Just wanted to know if anyone's heard any further than the article...

Didn't mean to cause any disdain or trouble! Just wanted to know if anyone's heard any further than the article...

QTIP, I'm not...you just asked a question, no problem at all.

I would guess that unless the City of Yonkers receives some additional Federal Grant Monies coming their way, as it relates to assist with the reported $3 million dollars that the developer has committed to the project) for a New Fire House for the New Ridge Hill Site, and funding for a "possible" New Ladder Company (L77?), it will be a long long time before we see anything happen, anytime soon. Same goes for the reported New Fire Headquarters along New Main Street and Neprahan Avenue, as part of the proposed Downtown Development (with the "rumors" of 2 new additional companies being added for that project (E301 and E302?).

I certainly feel that both the planned New Fire House/Ladder Company for Ridge Hill and the New Fire Headquaters (and possibly 2 additional Engine Companies) becomes a reality, because if Yonkers is going to grow, its Public Safety needs to grow with it.

But, unless the Federal Government is willing to provide Yonkers with the dollars needed, I don't see it happening, but this is just my opinion.

The article is inaccurate as they have lost all prospective tenants except for newly

announced Saks Fifth Avenue.

National Amusements is selling it's lease option for Ridge Hill along with a majority of their theaters.

Note that nobody in that story gave a projected opening date and good luck if you think the city

has a dime for any new fire stations, this one included.