Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBE

Making Life Easier, Part Deux

6 posts in this topic

I've been working downtown in the Training Unit for the past couple of days, teaching probie dispatchers how to properly talk on the radio. I feel kind of hypocritical telling some people, "Do as I say, not as I do, or did" When I was a regular dispatcher, I will admit to being a bit of a cowboy on the radio,(There are at least a few people out there who can confirm this!!!) addressing voices I recognized as Chief, Cap, Loo, etc. Now I'm in a position where I have to tell these probies, "You WILL do it like this" My co instructor brought up a good point. "There's X amount of members out there listening to your every word, along 300,000 buffs" He is so right.(Some dispatchers have "Fan clubs")

Here's a few more helpful hints for you dispatchers out there. Some of these are really basic stuff you pick up on day one, but it's always nice to get a refresher.

CONTROL: You're the one on the radio, you're in charge of that radio. The office could be going to hell in a handbasket, but if you maintain your calm, the guys and gals out in the field will never know. Inversely, if you sound like you're scared, or lost in the shuffle, it doesn't matter how the rest of the crew is doing.

CONTROL CONT: Prioritize your messages. You've got four incidents going, a Raging Fire in a vacant building with exposure problems, a car wreck on the highway with minor injuries, a small brush fire in the local park and an engine out on an EMS assignment. The engine on the EMS run calls, presumably to see if EMS is responding, just as a chief is calling with a request for more help, or a progress report. Who are you going to answer first?? The answer is obvious. Now, if you're in a situation where you're getting info from your supervisor or fellow dispatchers and the radio is buzzing with activity, don't hesitate to have all of those units standby unless urgent. Get the info, and then answer units in the priority in which they are calling.

DEMEANOR: This correlates with the calm mentioned in the first section. Be as pleasant as you can. Don't go so far as to let an "OK hunny" pass your lips (Don't laugh, it's happened!!!) If you're in a rotten mood, it's gonna show. Honey/Vinegar once again, folks. Everything in moderation.

FIND YOUR GROOVE: This is something I try to impress on newbies. You'll get into a style of talking, or more accurately, a tone of voice that keeps you comfortable, but can also calm jittery voices you hear out there. Especially when it's hitting the fan. You stay with a simple smooth demeanor, you can have a chief screaming for help in one breath, and in a few minutes time, they'll be purring like a pussycat(for lack of a better term). It is infectious.

UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING/HEARING: Another very important lesson. This goes back to my earlier thread involving firehouse visits. Understand what the field forces mean when they give a report. To the untrained ear, a progress report such as the one I will use as an example would sound like complete gibberish.

We've got a fire in a two frame 30 by 50. Fires out the windows on the exposure four side. Two lines stretched, two in operation, Trucks and Rescue are doing VES and checking for extension, primaries in progress.

Joe $#@% the Ragman, and his cousin Jane Q. Public may have no clue what this means, but you should.

Understanding the responsibilities/duties of units you dispatch takes the weight off when you're confronted with a situation such as this.

BE FLEXIBLE, AND ANTICIPATE: You have to be ready for just about anything that comes your way. You have a set response policy for a building fire, you're getting numerous calls for it and in your judgement, this is going to be a situation where the units responding are going to need more help. Now, for those of you who dispatch larger departments or paid departments, you, as incident commander prior to a unit arrival, may want to pad the response. Add an engine, a truck, a rescue. This is a simple theory, you have the toys in the toybox, take them out to play, but don't go crazy. Just know how many you can take so as not to deprive other kids in the neighborhood, and that you have the option to put those toys back.(Thank you SFAD G. Morstatt for that one)

In NYC we have a system known as CIDS(Critical Information Dispatch System) This alerts us and the members to various aspects of specific structures, such as construction, possible heavy fire loading, collapse potential, and other hazards, such as unruly inhabitants who have a penchant for throwing things at people or the building may be booby trapped by drug dealers, or pit bulls, etc. Due to CAD limitations, a lot of stuff in these information tidbits is abbreviated, HORRIBLY!!!! Before you read it out, read it to yourself, to make sure you understand what it says/means. If you don't understand it, ask for a little help as so not to sound unprofessional. This can cause problems, if something comes out wrong or it's misunderstood by the field forces. It may at times seem inconsequential, but I can tell you from personal experience, proper and timely announcement of pertinent information can, and does save lives, civilian and uniformed.

I think this about covers it for now, if I pick up anything else that is useful, I'll add to this thread or post a new one. Feel free to comment on this here or PM me.

JBE is a fountain of knowledge

Excellent article, and excellent advice!!! =D>

I absolutely agree with all your points and tips.

I have always tried to do everything described below, it really does work.

JBE,

Good stuff to remember! I'll be passing this on to our newbies at the new P.C. 911 (coming soon!)

40-301 [-o<

Heck, I'd be more than willing to come up on my own time and talk to your folks. I did take the test for that job in 96.