Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ems-buff

The Lion of the Senate, dead at 77

16 posts in this topic

Massachusetts Sen. Edward Kennedy died late Tuesday at his home in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts, after a lengthy battle with brain cancer. He was 77. "We've lost the irreplaceable center of our family and joyous light in our lives, but the inspiration of his faith, optimism and perseverance will live on in our hearts forever," a family statement said

Well, it's a shame, but we all new it was coming sooner or later...

Well, it's a shame, but we all new it was coming sooner or later...

May he rest in peace.

Although I disagreed with a good amount of his ideas, it's still a sad day in American politics. Rest in Peace, Sir.

This man came from a family of degenerates, substance abusers, and womanizers. He was responsible for the death of Mary Jo Kopechne under more than questionable circumstances and he never had to pay for it. I find no romance, allure, or otherwise honorable traits (except those listed below) to associate with the Kennedy family.... Especially Ted.

John's service in the Navy (PT109 went down off the Solomans) and Robert's efforts to eliminate organized crime were honorable. That's about it.

Daddy Joe was a crook who didn't want to deal with his own mentally handicapped daughter, John botched the invasion of Cuba, and Teddy didn't have the balls to call for help when he put Mary Jo roof down in a creek after he rolled his Old's off a bridge.... Not to mention what all the little Kennedy's have done since to hold up the family legacy.

May his family members find comfort in the fact that God is merciful to those who repent. One can only hope that Senator Kennedy realized that before he was taken.

"Senator Kennedy has also led efforts to bring improvements to fire fighter pay, retirement, benefits and health and safety. His work included guaranteeing fire fighters overtime pay under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA); establishing a medical monitoring program for fire fighters responding to disasters; protecting fire fighters against infectious diseases under the Ryan White law; creating the Public Safety Officers Benefit (PSOB); protecting and expanding fire fighter deferred compensation plans (457 plans); improving federal fire fighter pay and protecting fire fighter jobs against contracting out; establishing tuition assistance programs for fire fighters; creating the nation’s first plan to respond to bioterrorism; and expanding OSHA coverage to include fire fighters."

Taken from the IAFF Website.

"Senator Kennedy has also led efforts to bring improvements to fire fighter pay, retirement, benefits and health and safety. His work included guaranteeing fire fighters overtime pay under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA); establishing a medical monitoring program for fire fighters responding to disasters; protecting fire fighters against infectious diseases under the Ryan White law; creating the Public Safety Officers Benefit (PSOB); protecting and expanding fire fighter deferred compensation plans (457 plans); improving federal fire fighter pay and protecting fire fighter jobs against contracting out; establishing tuition assistance programs for fire fighters; creating the nation’s first plan to respond to bioterrorism; and expanding OSHA coverage to include fire fighters."

Taken from the IAFF Website.

Do you think the IAFF website would have similar accolades if it had been a republican who had done the same for the service? I'm sure they are out there.

As Chief Flynn would remind us.... QTIP

Do you think the IAFF website would have similar accolades if it had been a republican who had done the same for the service? I'm sure they are out there.

As Chief Flynn would remind us.... QTIP

Too bad this is starting to become political. The moderators may as well lock down the thread now before it really gets carried away.

Too bad this is starting to become political. The moderators may as well lock down the thread now before it really gets carried away.

I haven't said anything overly political and this isn't a condolences thread. I don't see any reason to lock it down.

I based my opinion on the family's history which is public knowledge. If our friends, neighbors, and co-workers acted in the way that most (not all) of the Kennedy’s have over the years, we'd probably re-think who we spend our idle time with. They get a pass because they are de facto members of Americana at this point.

I also asked a question based on another post which was not intended to spawn an argument but merely to raise the question given the IAFF's history of supporting liberal candidates (notice I didn't say the IAFF's members vote that way).

I haven't said anything overly political and this isn't a condolences thread. I don't see any reason to lock it down.

Up until your first post, it was a condolence thread.

Ted Kennedy for better or worse is quite a controversial public figure...I can imagine there are quite a few posters on this board who offer no condolences to this man or his family. I am usually against locking threads but I can see this getting out of hand.

I was not a fan of Kennedy ( or the Kennedy's for that matter). May he rest in peace.

The thread was started with a quote from another source. Had it specifically been started as a condolence thread I would not have offered my opinion.

You appear to be offended by my point of view. If that is the case, I am sorry you feel that way.

If the moderators wish I or they can remove my posts instead of locking the thread, however nothing I wrote is untrue, nor have I written anything derogatory toward other members of this forum..... In my opinion this means that you and I should just agree to disagree.

Senator Kennedy and many of the Kennedys were public figures who while often scandalous left a massive impact on this country. The voting rights act, anti-apartheid legislation, and title IX all bear his mark. COBRA insurance protection and the National Cancer Institute exist in part because of him. He's a "bleeding heart liberal" regularly slammed by conservative think tanks and the NRA and praised by liberal groups and the ACLU. That still didn't prevent him from going against his own party and reaching across to Republicans to achieve what he felt necessary. Imagine if more of our politicians could be like that, independent thinkers rather than whores to the party. Love him or hate him he had convictions and he stood up for them.

Edited by ny10570

two words...

Mary Jo

now she can finally rest in peace

Edited by e290l103