Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Biggest Advancement in Modern Firefighting?

36 posts in this topic

post-1066-1251738339.jpg

The truss manufacturers go to great lengths to insure they are delivering a structurally sound , reliable product.

Quality control is paramount.

Here's a load of trusses going from the factory to your next fire

Those old enough to have actually used the Detroit Door opener know that it will do either of two things:

1. Break off the doorknob

2. Crack the terrazzo floor

It will rarely open a door, except, maybe in Detroit

Exactly Chief, they only worked in Detroit right! I figured if anyone in here had the experience with it, it would be you. (I still think your post about the Halligan tool was one of the best ever BTW)

We used to drill with the D.D.O.; it was always a running gag around the firehouse to refer to it (with the senior guys naturally). Actually Henry Campbell (my probie school Chief) was the first person I ever heard about it from. I think Henry was Chief in Detroit in 1885 when it was 1st invented (and you guys thought he did most of his time in FDMV)! B)

post-1066-1251738339.jpg

The truss manufacturers go to great lengths to insure they are delivering a structurally sound , reliable product.

Quality control is paramount.

Here's a load of trusses going from the factory to your next fire

TRUSS CONSTRUCTION: STILL KILLING FIREFIGHTERS.

You know this thread is about the biggest advancement in modern firefighting. Let me digress for a second: THE GUSSET PLATE has proven to be one of the biggest SETBACKS to modern firefighting; and the failures of same have cost too many brothers the ultimate sacrifice.

Knowing the construction type of the fire building BEFORE entering, should be as important and on everyone's mind, as is the air-level reading on their SCBA. Identifying and passing on construction characteristics to the IC could be firefighter life-saving information.

Although the Imaging Camera was my first choice (already taken); I must add that there is more focus now than every before on utilization of the TIC - making certain all interior crews are equipped with one (if available). Not too long ago, my district only had 1 TIC and due to the overwhelming advantage the firefighter has (if used properly of course), we now have someting like a dozen - one on each first due engine, the ladder, fast and squad units. Some may call it overkill - I call it SMART and READY.

one on each first due engine, the ladder, fast and squad units. Some may call it overkill - I call it SMART and READY.

Those that call it overkill are wrong. (Edit: Just IMHO of course)

Edited by efdcapt115

Thermal Imaging Cameras......

I have to agree thermal imaging cameras , the fit 5 for sure within these past few years and the advancement in gear are all great modern things