Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY's New Fire Boat to Launch Friday (9/11)

23 posts in this topic

I'm suprised it took so long for FDNY to get a modern fireboat of this caliber, and am excited it is almost done!

FDNY's New Fire Boat to Honor 343 Bravest

Posted: 09-10-2009

BY PAUL PELUSO

Firehouse.com News

More than a thousand miles away from Ground Zero on Florida's Gulf Coast, FDNY officials will be honoring their fallen comrades in a different way this Sept. 11.

At 10 a.m., members of the department's special operations and marine operations divisions will attend a ceremony in Panama City to launch the FDNY's first new fire boat of its size in 50 years.

The "Three Forty Three" -- a reference to the number of firefighters and paramedics killed in the 9/11 terrorist attacks -- will serve as a monument to the department's fallen comrades.

FULL ARTICLE: http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/a...41&id=65446

FIREBOAT SITE: http://nycfireboat.com/

It's all about the money, this boats have long been needed for what they cover. Because of 9/11 and the grants they got it became real ! Sad to see the old boats go after all these years of service.

Edited by PCFD ENG58

I hope they keep the old boats and don't scrap them. They should be preserved as historic "water"-marks (play on landmarks).

I hope they keep the old boats and don't scrap them. They should be preserved as historic "water"-marks (play on landmarks).

Looks like it is going to be really nice. Hopefully they will save the older fireboats. Its going to be interesting to see what type of equipment is on it.

Apparently, this boat will have a twin, the "Firefighter II" according to the http://nycfireboat.com/ site. Anyone know the timeframe on that?

Also, what's the delivery schedule for the 343? I assume it's got to go through some testing first, and looks like some more work needs to be done. I'm sure FDNY needs to do their own inspection in NYC, some equipment installation, and extensive training, and winter is not too far off. Will this boat be able to operate in an icy Hudson or East river?

Apparently, this boat will have a twin, the "Firefighter II" according to the http://nycfireboat.com/ site. Anyone know the timeframe on that?

Also, what's the delivery schedule for the 343? I assume it's got to go through some testing first, and looks like some more work needs to be done. I'm sure FDNY needs to do their own inspection in NYC, some equipment installation, and extensive training, and winter is not too far off. Will this boat be able to operate in an icy Hudson or East river?

Article attached to the video says that 343 will arrive in NYC in December and go in service in April. Firefighter II will have it's keel laid shortly.

Seth,

According to the wjhg.com link from post #6 here is the info on delivery.

Every time this boat goes to work it will honor those who gave their lives, while fighting to save others. The "343" will make the 8 day trip up the east coast to New York City during the second week of December.

FDNY will spend three to four months training with the vessel before it's put into service in April. Eastern shipbuilding has already begun work on the 343's identical sister ship, "the firefighter ii", which will replace one of New York City’s 70-year-old fire boats.

FYI mfc2257, according to the pictures at NYCFireboat.com the keel for Firefighter II has been laid and it is well on its way to completion.

Edited by SteveOFD

Seth,

According to the wjhg.com link from post #6 here is the info on delivery.

FYI mfc2257, according to the pictures at NYCFireboat.com the keel for Firefighte II has been laid and it is well on its way to completion.

I stand corrected.

The "343" will be assigned to Marine 1 and the "Firefighter 2" will be assigned to Marine 9. Marine Co.'s 1,6 an 9 are fully staffed 24 hrs a day year round. I believe that staffing is: 1 Officer, 1 Pilot, 1 Engineer, 1Wiper and 2 Firefighters. Correct me if I'm wrong.

She's definitely a beautiful boat and much needed! Word around says that Marine 9's "Firefighter" won't make it through another inspection without a full re-plating of the hull.

After a few delays 343 is scheduled to arrive in NYC the first week in March. The expected in service date is some time in June assuming no major problems are found.

On the topic of the fireboats what is the duty of a wiper on the boat?

man that looks more like a military attack vessel.... very modern... good luck to those who will enjoy working on it, it's got to be a dream...

On the topic of the fireboats what is the duty of a wiper on the boat?

This term comes from the tasks of an engineer's apprentice. Back in the day's of steam powered vessels, the engine room was a very dirty and steamy place and all of the machinery required a lot of attention. The Wiper got his name from having to carry around a rag and wipe steam off of the gauges for the engineer to read them. He would consequently be learning from the engineer the whole time.

Wiper is a promotion from FF. Engineer is a promotion from Wiper.

New boats have been scaled back due to latest round of budget cuts.

563.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/03/28/2010-03-28_newest_biggest_and_most_powerful_fdny_fireboats_pay_tribute_to_world_trade_cente.html

One of the boats will hit the waters next month and the other will be in use by late summer. The $27 million fireboats, purchased in part with money from the Department of Homeland Security, replace one ship that was dedicated in 1938 and another activated in 1954, Dalton said.

The Engineer is a licensed officer usually a limited horse power license by the USCG.

A wiper is an unlicensed working in the engine room.

Wiper is a promotion from FF. Engineer is a promotion from Wiper.