Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

You think your EMS salary is bad?

8 posts in this topic

I always hear people around hear grumbling about how low their (EMS) salary is around here.

Well, in my research for a possible move to the LA area, I've uncovered something quite sickening, something that makes my stomach turn.

Paramedics, working for a commercial ambulance service in the LA area, on average make $10-12/hr to start. $10 an hour, for a medic!!! The pay varies a few cents depending on whether you work a 8,12, or 24 hr shift. Well, thats only starting pay, you say?? After 10 years, the average commercial Medic, on average, is making only$16.00/hr

EMTs make minimum wage-$7.00/hr to start. Dispatchers start at $12.00/hr, much more than a Medic.

The cost of living in the LA area is quite comprable to here in Metro NY, which is why I find the difference in pay so digusting. I make almost double-triple what I would make out there. $11 an hour for a highly trained proffesional? Are they kidding?

AMR pays the highest out of all, and is considered the EMS provider to work for out there. There are few, if any, third service municipal stand alone providers. In a lot of areas, FD provides EMS, and in some communities, the commercials provide the transport.

In sharp contrast, a Firefighter/Paramedic makes, starting, anywheres from $70,000-$100,000 a year starting.

I'm still researching this issue. However, this information I have learned has really made me appreciate how much I do get paid here in the northeast!! Definetly an eye-opener.

They need a good UNION to negotiate fair wages and benefits, for crying out loud they probably qualify for goverment cheese. :yikes: :roll:

They need a good UNION to negotiate fair wages and benefits, for crying out loud they probably qualify for goverment cheese. :yikes: :roll:

They are trying. Unfortunetly, it will be years before the wages are anywhere near what they should be.

With the amount of money a paid ambulance service charges... its crazy. There are some people that have huge pockets because of all of this.

Why do you think I like working for a not-for-profit.

Take the Dispatcher Job, they pay much better. Then on your days off you can do EMS or go work for the LA County Coroner.

Dispatching's good and all, but sitting behind a desk gets crappy... in terms of entertainment, health, etc.

doin road work and dispatching... get a nice mix of both :D