Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

‘Hercules' anti-terror cops out in Westchester tonight

5 posts in this topic

‘Hercules' anti-terror cops out in Westchester tonight

September 29, 2009

Post a Comment RecommendPrint this pageE-mail this articleShare

Del.icio.usFacebookDiggRedditNewsvineBuzz up!TwitterText Size: Normal | Large | Larger

A special team of heavily armed police officers formed to combat terrorism will be deployed to various locations in Westchester County this evening as part of its ongoing training.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20090929/NEWS...ester%20tonight

I have a few questions that I don't think will violate OPSEC to answer.

I know NYPD came up with this idea originally, are they participating in the exercise in Westchester?

What other agencies are taking part in this (hopefully regional) team?

Great idea if the various special ops units in Westchester (WCPD, YPD ESU, MTAPD ESU, Greenburgh, MVPD, etc) all got together to for a regional counterterrorism initiative, since there is obviously less security on the other transit hubs in the metro area, stands to reason that terrorists would exploit that, because the time that the problem was known, it would be too late. I like to see this kind of thinking moving outside of the big cities.

Where did they end up coming up with the name Hercules?

What about the "everday harm", like the 44 people who've been shot in Yonkers so far this year? I think a team needs to be dispatched to combat that, or does Westchester not really care about the citizens living in these urban areas being terrorized by gangs and thugs every day?

Its not that the government doesn't care, its that DHS doesn't hand out grant money for that as often as they do to fight terrorists.

I have a few questions that I don't think will violate OPSEC to answer.

I know NYPD came up with this idea originally, are they participating in the exercise in Westchester?

What other agencies are taking part in this (hopefully regional) team?

Great idea if the various special ops units in Westchester (WCPD, YPD ESU, MTAPD ESU, Greenburgh, MVPD, etc) all got together to for a regional counterterrorism initiative, since there is obviously less security on the other transit hubs in the metro area, stands to reason that terrorists would exploit that, because the time that the problem was known, it would be too late. I like to see this kind of thinking moving outside of the big cities.

Where did they end up coming up with the name Hercules?

NYPD does the NYC thing and the PD's in Westchester do the Westchester thing. There's a tremendous collaboration on intel, info, and training to name a few but just as we don't patrol NYC, they don't patrol up here.

As for the name Hercules, that comes straight from NYC so we'll have to see if someone down there can give the rationale for that name.