Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Veteran Fort Worth firefighter fights to take control of his life after becoming homeless

7 posts in this topic

Very sad.

Veteran Fort Worth firefighter fights to take control of his life after becoming homeless

Posted Monday, Oct. 26, 2009

By ALEX BRANCH

abranch@star-telegram.com

FORT WORTH — From his bunk in the Salvation Army homeless shelter, Greg LaRue can hear the wailing sirens of fire trucks as they roar down East Lancaster Drive.

For most homeless people, it is background noise. Another fire. Another person sick. Another person injured.

But to LaRue, the sound is a stabbing reminder of the life he had, the career he cherished and the challenges he must overcome.

http://www.star-telegram.com/metro_news/story/1712793.html

I am glad to see him making some progress in his life. When I was a kid, I had occasion to meet a homeless ex-firefighter who had been fired for similar reasons. Sadly, he never recovered from his demons and was burried with little ceremony as an indigent.

Sad story. It's a shame that neither the department or the union did anything to help him along the way and just cut him loose after failing the drug test.

Sad story. It's a shame that neither the department or the union did anything to help him along the way and just cut him loose after failing the drug test.

They didn't cut him loose. He resigned as per the article.

I'm sorry that he's destitute and living in a bunkroom at the Salvation Army, but when you're in a public safety position, there is generally zero tolerance for drug addiction and abuse after it comes to light second to mandatory testing. Chances are, the department or the union would have "done the right thing" if he would have been proactive about his addiction and sought help for it, either by checking himself into rehab or approaching the agency's employee assistance unit. It's unfortunate that he learned that lesson too late, but personally, I'd rather have one extra homeless person on the street than have anyone in the field of public safety conduct his or her job while under the influence of any controlled substance, whether it be alcohol or narcotics. That may sound cold-hearted, especially since the Holidays are upon us, but it's a cold reality that should serve as an example to the rest of us in this field.

Edited by FFLieu

Substance abuse is a disease. There are lots of emergency services workers all over that are plagued with it, and goes unoticed. I'm sure there are plenty of "functioning alcholics" and drug users that go into work, and plenty of people that suspect but don't say anything. It's not something that is malicously or intentionally done in most cases.

Although my situation was different in many ways, losing my job as a firefighter and having to basically start over was devastating to me. Especially since I didn't do anything to lose it and waited and worked so hard to get it, and was cut loose because of the injury I suffered on department property. If it wasn't for the support of my wife, I might have been homeless as well. It is something that is really hard to cope with, and even though I love my new life and job in Texas, it's still hard thinking about Hartsdale, or seeing where the probie I started with is in his career, and the great job that was stolen from me because of an injury which caused a medical condition that I had no control over.

I really sympathize with this guy.

They didn't cut him loose. He resigned as per the article.

What was his alternative? To be terminated.

I've heard of jobs providing counseling and other assistance to people in similar situations and its sad that didn't happen in this case.