Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gpdexplorer

Old Rig Sighting North Haven CT

4 posts in this topic

While on a ride-along with a local PD at school today for my internship, we drove through an fire apparatus repair/dealer. In the lot there were mulitple apparatus including:

Wassaic's old tanker

White Plains' old TL-6 Sutphen

A rescue from Waldorf, MD that was in a roll over

A rescue from Rockville Centre

A ladder from Preston, AZ

Will try to get back there to take pics.

Sounds like you drove through New England Fire Apparatus, the local Smeal and SVI dealer.

http://www.nefea.com

Those rigs have been sitting out a LONG, LONG time.....some from when NEFA was off I-95 before they moved to North Haven. White Plains traded in that TL for the current TL-6, a American LaFrance/Smeal numerous years ago. Before that, it spent time sitting under a tarp besides one of WPFD's stations. I have some photos of these trucks on my site, x635Photos.com. There is quite a cool mix of apparatus.

I can't believe they are STILL sitting there!! I wish some collectors would pick them up, especially the WP tower and Wassaic tanker!!

You guys were at NEFEA off Broadway in North Haven (the other side of the bridge from NHFD HQ closer to Route 5. The facility is the old DMV emissions testing center and Jim purchased it several years ago fro his business. The have / had a lot of rigs there from NY, CT, MA, ME, VT and NH. Quite a facility. Branford's Engine 7 (the Sutphen that formally serve as Engine 1 before being replaced by the new Smeal) was actually refurbished, repaired and repainted at that shop. It was there when my vollie company was building out current pumper.

BTW Damon just made it 2-1 Yanks, solo HR.

And, on occasion, a Yonkers FD rig can be found getting prepped for delivery or warranty work. There should be a few Smeal engines for Yonkers in Izzy's neck of the woods there soon.......