Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RescueKujo

San Diego Fire Department New Deliveries

8 posts in this topic

The San Diego Fire Department is taking delivery of 14 Pierce Arrow XTs this year. I was abl to get to the shops today and get a few photos. Here's a teaser, as I am still working on the photos...

post-5252-1256866752.jpg

Looks good! Question....does San Diego have the money to staff them, lol? Last I heard, comparatively to other SoCal cities, they were short 20 engine companies worth of manpower.....

What engines are they going to apart from engine 26?

I like the Arrow XTs except for one thing, those ugly large AC units on the roof!! Pierce could have designed something better. But then again its a working fire truck and not a parade piece.

Looks good! Question....does San Diego have the money to staff them, lol? Last I heard, comparatively to other SoCal cities, they were short 20 engine companies worth of manpower.....

Seth, that was an assessment of the department right after the 2003 Firestorm. The team stated SDFD is 20+ stations short of what is needed. There will be major cuts in the budget for all departments in the city in 2010, and the mayor has stated that SDPD and SDFD are not exempt this time. Nothing has been announced yet, so it'll be interesting to say the least...these Arrow XTs are replacing 1990s era Saulsburys...

As for the list, I'll post it later (have to look through my emails).

Duane

I like the Arrow XTs except for one thing, those ugly large AC units on the roof!! Pierce could have designed something better. But then again its a working fire truck and not a parade piece.

I believe that is the place for the Light tower, just like you would see on larger rescues and such. The AC Unit should be behind it or on the raised roof...and that's only if this unit was equipped with AC.

The A/C units on the Arrow XT are built on a heavy duty spec, and were (the Arrow XT's) originally designed with the LA City FD contract specs in mind. They are able to cool a cab to a certain tempature within a certain amount of time, and are modular so they can easily be swapped out for maintainence (or so is the theory)

Here's the rest of the photos...Engine 23, Engine 36, Truck 1 and a Medic Rig from the combined Rurual Metro/SDFD-The provide response under the San Diego Medical Services Enterprise name...

post-5252-125776935767.jpg

post-5252-125776937958.jpg

post-5252-12577693897.jpg

post-5252-125776939771.jpg