Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IFCLIDF

Passing of Betty Lewit

6 posts in this topic

It is with deep regret we announce the passing of Elizabeth Lewit. A Founding member and former Captain of the Irvington Volunteer Ambulance. Betty was a Red Cross Certified instructor for first aid and CPR for many years, and was one of the initial trainers for IVAC in it formation stages in the early 1960's. Betty would become a riding member of the corps in it foundation and served as a training officer for many years. In addition to the training of corps members, Betty provided first aid and CPR courses to the public for decades. Betty would take duty daytime, nighttime, weekends, holidays, and would fill empty spots on the schedule like nobody could imagine. Betty served as Captain of the Corps in the mid 1980s and has served on the board of directors for many terms during her years as a member of the corps.

The training center at Irvington Volunteer Ambulance Corps was named after Betty a few years back as a recognition to her outstanding years of service to the organization she helped in establishing.

Betty joins her husband in heaven, and we keep her children and grandchildren in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

Please remember Betty's family at Irvington VAC as well. Betty was a true living saint, and heaven is lucky to have an angel such as her join their corps.

Respectfully Reported;

Peter J Roy, EMT-B

Irvington VAC Ex-Capt & Life Member

My sincere condolences to The family and friends of Former Captain Lewit, and may she Rwst in Eternal Peace. And May God grant you all the strength to get through this difficult time.

Having helped Judy Mayer in my teenage years with EMT classes at Irvington VAC, I got to know Betty. She was truly a wonderful person. Irvington VAC is what it is today because of her, and she's produced many fine EMT's and several who have gone on to Paramedics. It's a real loss to the Irvington community, she was truly "old school" Irvington that had the working class, helpful mentality.

Condolences also go out to her daughter, Ellen Lewitt, who was/is a Greenburgh PD Officer.

There will be nobody ever better than Betty "MA" Lewit. She made Irvington Volunteer Ambulance Corps. Her caring for others, and her strength will never be matched. IVAC will never be the same with out her. Heaven has the best EMT, and soul up there. We all love you Ma and will never forget you.

Betty was the best! When I look back on all the influential people in my life, she is at the top of the list. The lessons that I learned from her as high school student - the EMS lessons and most importantly the lessons about life and serving your community- have served me very well in the past 20+ years.