Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudson144

New Haven 20: Pending Promotions

14 posts in this topic

It appears that the order for promotions will be out soon for the promotions of the much deserved members of the New Haven FD. Its almost 4 1/2 months after the landmark case was ruled in favor of the Firefighters in the US SUPREME COURT. Hopefully the members will all get their promotions and whatever else they are entitled to! CONGRATS! jjc

That's debatable. More members of the Firebird's Association filed lawsuits within the past couple weeks to allege that the City's test was discriminatory by being 60/40 written/oral. Could hold things up. I was told by a high ranking official in New Haven that the promotions could take up to 2 years, which would also be the next time they will be hiring.

Not according to the court order I reviewed prior to posting this info!rolleyes.gif

<STRONG>ITS OFFICIAL----PROMOTION TIME! CONGRATS !!!

Judge orders New Haven to promote firefighters

Published: Tuesday, November 24, 2009

NEW HAVEN — A U.S. District Court judge, under instruction by the Supreme Court decision, today issued an judgement finding the city violated the civil rights of a group of white firefighters when it threw out two promotional exams in 2004, and ordered the city to promote 14 of them.

The two-page, bare-boned judgement issued late this afternoon was the culmination of five years of litigation that wound all the way to the nation’s highest court — and has been the target of a recent flurry of legal wrangling trying to prevent the promotions from being made.

RELATED STORIES: Read the case history

RELATED STORIES: The case and Justice Sonia Sotomayor

Judge Janet Bond Arterton, who in 2006 threw out the firefighters’ lawsuit only to have the decision ultimately overturned by the nation’s high court in June, laid out the city’s road map. It left no ambiguity:

The judgement says the city’s Civil Service Commission “shall certify” the results of the contested 2003 promotional examinations for fire lieutenant and captain and “shall certify” promotional lists and then promote 14 members of the so-called New Haven 20.

Karen Torre, the attorney for the firefighters, declined comment Tuesday evening.

The order comes just weeks after seven black New Haven firefighters filed a motion seeking to intervene in the case and delay any order from Arterton, and days after Torre requested a status conference to find out the judge’s intentions.

The New Haven Register is seeking comment from the city of New Haven.

The lawsuit of Ricci vs DeStefano claimed the city violated the rights of the plaintiffs, 19 white and one firefighter who is both Hispanic and white, when it tossed the results of two promotional exams because blacks fared disproportionately poorly and wouldn’t be in line for immediate promotion. The city lobbied the commission to toss the test out of concern, it stated, that certifying the lists could open the city to an disparate impact lawsuit from black firefighters. Instead, the white firefighters sued claiming the city violated their rights against disparate treatment.

Arterton threw out the case in 2006 and in 2008 the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit upheld the decision. In a landmark ruling in June, the Supreme Court reversed the decision and also ordered the lower court to enter a judgement in the white firefighters’ favor, which Arterton did this afternoon.

Being promoted to lieutenant will be Frank Ricci, Michael Blatchley, Greg Boivin, Michael Christoforo, Ryan Divito, Steven Durand, Christopher Parker and Mark Vendetto.

Advancing to captain will be Gary Carbone, William Gambardella, Brian Jooss, Matthew Marcarelli, Timothy Scanlon and Benjamin Vargas.

function alternatecolor(id){ if(document.getElementsByTagName){ var table = document.getElementById(id); var rows = table.getElementsByTagName("tr"); for(i = 0; i < rows.length; i++){ if(i % 2 == 0){ rows.className = "odd"; }else{ rows.className = "even"; } } } } window.onload = alternatecolor('alter_rows');

AWESOME! Congrats to the New Haven 20! I know a couple of these guys from when the come into work. I'm glad its finally over. You CAN fight city hall after all!

PROMOTIONS; WED DEC 2,2009 3:30 PM @ The Fire Training Grounds located at Ella T. Grasso Blvd, New Haven Conn. A request is out to wear either a dress uniform or any of the NH20 T-shirts/Sweatshirts etc. Congrats again!

Congratulations to the New Haven 20! Take Care and Be Safe in your newly promoted roles!

-Joe DA BUFF

Due to logistical problems the ceremony for promotions scheduled for Wed 12/2 are off, they will be within the next few weeks or so and will be announced asap. jjc

New Haven and Bridgeport Firefighters get Promotions

New Haven’s Board of Fire Commissioners met Tuesday and officially promoted 14 firefighters.

The men sued the city for those promotions and ended up taking their case all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Outside of the meeting, held in a conference room on the second floor of the Grand Avenue firehouse, two newly promoted captains embraced.

"We're captains," they sighed.

It took six years to get here - but only a few minutes for it to be over. All ten fire commissioners voted in favor of promoting the 14 men who make up a part of the New Haven 20.

Six are now captains, eight are lieutenants.

Mount Vernon next? :rolleyes:

http://www.narbosa.com/2009/12/new-haven-and-bridgeport-firefighters.html

By the way, another 10 are being promoted along with the 14 ordered by the court, some Captains some Lieutenants. The problem would have been if they only promoted the 14 ordered by the court, they would have skipped over other people on the list, as the 14 in the suit were NOT the first 14 on the list. So all in all I believe 24 will be promoted. The ceremony is scheduled for Thursday. The caveat is that the 10 others had to sign a waiver saying they would not sue for back pay. Most of them don't care though, as a few have been paid their higher rates for years because they were Captains until the political fecal matter hit the oscillating climate control device a few years back. By and large though, from the ones I've talked to (they all come to get their uniforms where I work) its all about the jobs and their Captain or Lieutenant badges, not the money. Anyway, Congratulations to all!

If New Haven's political powers (not FD) didn't throw out the test in the first places, everyone would have been promoted already!!!!!!!

An emotional and classy ceremony to honor the members of the New Haven 20 and others, many from the NY,NJ,Ct area there to see history take place. It was a great day for all and a great celebration afterwards. God Bless the NH20 and good luck in your well deserved promotions!rolleyes.gif

Best of luck to the NH 14 who were promoted and the so-called "New Haven Other 10" who also got their badges!!!

A picture with a 1 word says it all!

post-103-126063742027.jpg