Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBE

Out and About, Back to California

13 posts in this topic

This trip was a few months in the making. Delays and events pushed it back a month, but here we go. I'm off to California for the 11th time in nearly 9 years. But first, a quick pit stop in Cuddebackville, the morning of the Middletown parade, and Port Jervis the day I left. Rescue Engine 805 and Rescue Engine 822. Could the PJ guys make this thing any more buffy with the compartment handles??

R-805.jpg

E-822.jpg

Handle.jpg

Next, we arrive in San Francisco to spend some time with my cousin. We stop at Engine 31, the house first due to where I was staying.

SFE-31.jpg

We also hit 14's, but I'm still getting used to the new camera and it was quite blurry. You guys deserve better.

So we were on out way over to Communications when we happened upon Engine 5. I kinda like this Anniversary paint job.

SFE-5.jpg

We came up on a pre plan drill they were having for one of the schools in the area and got Engine 21, Truck 10, Battalion 7 and a Medic.

SFT-10.jpg

SFE-21.jpg

SFB-7.jpg

SFBus.jpg

More coming..

After this, we ran over to get Engine 34 and the Coastal Rescue rig.

SFE-34.jpg

SFCR1.jpg

With Day 1 completed we head on home and map out day 2.

We really didn't do much in the way of apparatus photography since we took a tour of the ballpark and went to visit a friend of mine over at Public Safety Training Consultants.(PSTC) They do a lot of dispatcher related classes and merchandise. But we did catch Engine 16 and Presidio Medic 51. we also stopped by M5 Industries, home of the Mythbusters and they don't give tours, photos, autographs, nada. mad.gif

SFE-16.jpg

M-51.jpg

I bid San Francisco farewell and headed down to LA. I stopped in Command and Control to visit some pals, and unfortunately, turn down a job again. FDNY dispatchers went to wearing uniforms about three months ago, and the LA folks used to fume when they heard me say, as I walk in wearing shorts and a hoodie, "This is how I go to work"

The following morning, I happened to be leaving my hotel when I bumped into Anaheim Engine 3 testing hydrants and pumps. They have a Bronto Skylift on an E-One chassis as Truck 3. They normally don't pull rigs out, but they were working on it on the apron, so I lucked out big time. I got some shots of it as I was leaving a bar outside of Disney at 3am as well.

AT-3-2.jpg

AT-3.jpg

I ran up north to finally start shooting rigs in the North end of LA County. Territory I have never travelled before. Here's Engine and Light Force 82. Engine 82 is a CAFS equipped Engine, hence the Chicago style(poorly done, IMHO) paint job. Engine 282 is driving a spare.

E-82.jpg

LF-82.jpg

T-82.jpg

Next up, a little further north..

It is a little embarassing for a guy who gives directions all day to get lost, and sure enough, I did. But, I did get some really nice scenery shots on my way up to Santa Clarita and Lancaster. Here's my first stop, Station 126. Reserve Truck 5118 and Quint 126.

T-5118.jpg

Q-126.jpg

I then ran over to 73's and got the Engine, Squad and Water Tender.

E-73.jpg

Sq-73.jpg

WT-73.jpg

My time was getting short, and I got lost again, so as the sun was slowly starting to fade, I went over to Station 33. Squad 33 is the busiest Paramedic Unit in the country, they got back from a run as I was getting to the door, and I was luckily able to shoot them just before they went out on another run.

Sq-33.jpg

Quint 33

Q-33.jpg

Emergency Support Team 33

EST-33.jpg

Did I happen to mention I was in the desert, and jeeze does it get cold up there. My last stop for day 1 was Station 129. Sunlight had pretty much gone to poop, but I was able to snag Call FireFighter Engine 269 and Copter 14 before my fun was done for the day.

E-269-2.jpg

Copter14.jpg

Day 2 coming up...

After going to visit a friend or two at Long Beach Fire Dispatch, I called it a night and got up the next morning ready to have a productive day. I met up with Bernie Deyo, LA County Photographer, and Derek Cutler from FAJ. Our first stop was Station 105 on the border of Carson and Compton. They run an Engine, the Haz Mat, and a Deluge wagon. Here's Deluge 105. It's just an old Squad chassis with a honking big deck gun attached.

Deluge105-2.jpg

FS105-2.jpg

Haz Mat 105 was out getting the meal or something, so we went to see one of my pals at Station 10. Here's Engine 10. For those of you who know, Foam 10 was being covered by Foam 5127 while it is out of service yet again.

LACE-10.jpg

We went back to 105's to get the Haz Mat, and they got special called to a car wreck involving a DWI on the border of LA and Compton. Here's 105 at the wreck, followed by a Compton Medic, Squad and Truck 116. Truck 116 is the only Rear Mount Aerial in the County. you'll see why in a bit.

HM-105.jpg

Sq-116.jpg

T-116.jpg

Now right about here was where I got kicked off the scene by the cops. This accident was a fatal involving a car and SUV. The driver of the SUV was DWI. WHO THE HELL gets loaded at 11am and gets behind the wheel with their family in the car?? Sorry, no pix of that, but here's that Compton Medic!!!

100_3270.jpg

Next stop Station 30. Squad 30 is brand new and all LA County Squads will be delivered in this fashion, with the covered bed in the rear.

Sq-30-2.jpg

Sq-30Rear.jpg

Engine and Quint 30

E-30-3.jpg

Q-30.jpg

Next stop, 45's, a tight fit and move up city!!!

Station 45 is the first LA County house I ever did a ride along with, so this place has a special spot in my heart.

FS45-1.jpg

Old Squaddie helmet. A Captain who used to work here is the president of the Museum Association

45Helmet.jpg

45Helmet2.jpg

LACOE-45.jpg

T-45.jpg

SQ-45.jpg

We went over to 116's and traffic was bad due to an LA Galaxy game at the Home Depot Center across the street. Now, I said this place was a tight fit, and I wasn't kidding. The squad is backed in far enough to just clear the door, and the rear bumper rests on TOP of the front bumper of the Engine.

FS116.jpg

After this, we headed up to Station 36, right down the road from the famous station 127. Sorry guys, I've been there more times than I care to count, so no pix today!!

Here's Engine 236. This Engine does have a first due area in Carson, but they also go out on Strike Teams and they get relocated, A LOT!!! Their motto is "Seeing the County, One move up at a time!!"

LACOE-236.jpg

I did get some sweet video of 36 going out on a run, and the Squad was already out. So, I made a final stop over in Venice Beach, LA City Station 63. The first firehouse on the West Coast I ever visited on my first trip back in February of 01.

Due to crappy lighting and other things, this is the best I got.

LAFDE-63.jpg

After a whirlwind night of running back and forth between Yorba Linda, Anaheim, and then to Santa Monica, and back, my final stop the next day was Station 3. I got the Squad, and I like the gold leaf 3.

A few other missed opportunities and I bid farewell to one of my favorite buffing destinations, and headed on home where I was greeted with two all hands and a second alarm up in the Bronx my first night back to work(I was on a detail from Manhattan).

Sq-3.jpg

Almost forgot Battalion 7

B-7.jpg

Coast Guard Stuff too!!! Here's Station Golden Gate!!!

GoldenGate2.jpg

GoldenGate1.jpg

Huge thank you's to all who helped out. Enjoy!!!

AWESOME photos- very jealous!

What's with all the WOOD ground ladders? It looks like every rig has these.

Thx, glad you guys like. I have one or two places I want to hit the next time I head out there. I think my next excursion will be out to South Jersey and Philly, w/some Orange County.

jack10562 likes this

Great photos all around! You shot the moon, and then some! You got a great variety of LA County photos! THe Tiller Quints are impressive, at least, to me. I didn't realize Compton still had their own Fire Department. Congrats on such a great trip!

The burgundy San Francisco rig was particularly awesome! The color is so striking.

One question: Are the USAR and HazMat Squads in LA County like FDNY's Rescues or is the analogy not applicable?

Thanks for sharing! GREAT PHOTOS!

-Joe DA BUFF

The LA County USAR is like the FDNY Rescue/Collapse Unit combned. The Haz Mat is just like our Haz Mat, although I believe they go out with Engine 105.