Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Rochelle Possible Layoffs?

13 posts in this topic

now that NRFD is getting a new rescue, I saw a very disturbing sign less manpower = higher risks. What's the sense of getting a new rig and then possible layoffs? Doesn't make sense.

Does anyone from New Ro have any info on this?

So are you advocating that we don't buy new equipment in oder to save jobs? I don't think that is the answer, but you raise a valid question at this point in time. We are in an interesting time when many cities/towns/states are finding out that they have bitten off more than they can chew in terms of providing services. You are going to see many FD's scaling back in terms of both manpower and equipment in the years ahead. I am not a chief/officer but looking down the road some very hard choices are going to have to be made about resources allocation.

Funds for the rescue were already allocated and paid for prior to the current fiscal crisis. Funding for staffing is a whole other issue.

What source are you citing for possible layoffs?

I hope they are not planning anymore layoffs New Rochelle is understaffed as it is

Funds for the rescue were already allocated and paid for prior to the current fiscal crisis. Funding for staffing is a whole other issue.

That's just it, I don't think that refering to this as a fiscal crisis is approaching it from the right viewpoint, many cities do not have a SUSTAINABLE LEVEL of city services in such times as an ecomonic downturn and we are now seeing much larger than neccessary budget cuts to make up shortfalls than is safe. I am just saying that we shouldn't get tied into long range plans to grow services or expand dept's because I will bet that even if cuts aren't planned they may be coming in the future.

The City Council meeting of Nov. 24, 2009, the city manager presented 3 scenarios. 1) a 21 % tax increase and no reduction in any city services. 2) approx. 8 % tax increase and there will be a reduction in ALL services. The F.D. would lose 10 position. 3) a tax increase in relation to the C.P.I. and other factors would increase taxes approximately 3.9 % and the F.D. would lose 11 position. This is on top of the vacant position do to the hiring freeze. With some retiring in 2010, this would reduce the number of lay offs but not the total positions.

This is what I remember from the council meeting. If the numbers ( % ) are not correct, they are close. The city manager has stated that they will not raise taxes by 21%, so there will be some loss of positions. Hopefully it will be positions lost through retirement and not lay offs. Any way you look at it, the F.D. will have to do more with less. This includes reduction in services to maintain the core services of fire supression.

Some of the council members asked about the use of mutual aid to assist in the manpower reduction. The city manager stated that they will not use that as an option. He said mutual aid is a 2 way street and we need to find a way to maintain New Rochelle level of service without the use of mutual aid.

PCFD ENG58 likes this

Some of the council members asked about the use of mutual aid to assist in the manpower reduction. The city manager stated that they will not use that as an option. He said mutual aid is a 2 way street and we need to find a way to maintain New Rochelle level of service without the use of mutual aid.

I am glad to hear the city council is aware that mutual aid is a two way street. I just hope that this city manager isn't overruled by the council and told to make cuts anyway. I hope NRFD is able to deal with what is coming down the pike without loss of life. This is a scary time for the fire service, people are no longer willing to pay for the service they MAY need someday. I am totally at a loss in terms of how to show that much of what is being cut or eliminated is needed because something might happen, that is the problem

Edited by Mark Z

People have to start realizing that staff reductions will cost lives and New Rochelle is one of the best FD's in the State. Yes, the city could increase its head count to man Rescue 4 "full time" (today, they use the manpower from Ladder 11 to run the Rescue, when it is called upon). I think that it may be possible that members of the New Rochelle City Council are trying to wedge in the "Regionalization Project", which could be done, but it will take some time and effort to pull it off (not to count the political red tape that such a project would have to go thru). But, as everyone has read on EMTBravo.net, the Proposed Regionalization Project calls for only 1 Rescue Unit in the Southeast Corridor of Westchester County and it would be in Pelham. So, what becomes of the New NRFD Rescue 4 and FDMV's Rescue, if such a Regionalization Plan becomes reality?

Until such a plan can be properly put into place, it is my opinion that the New Rochelle City Council needs to stay away from cutting from the FD and find other ways to close in on next year's budget. Again, just my opinion.

New Rochelle's present Rescue 4 is a 1991 vehicle, a few years ago plans were set to replace it knowing the prep and building time needed. The planning for this went before the extent of the economical crisis was known, even the two gents running for President of the United States had no idea nor members of Congress how bad things were about to be. So the folks in the NRFD had no idea. Besides the age of the present rig we had the opportunity of have 25-30 per cent of the apparatus paid for by the Federal government,

Funny thing, the present 1991 Rescue was delievered to New Ro. right in the middle of another financial meltdown and the same questions were asked.Let us pray that things will be worked out in the Budget that will prevent any lay-offs or other critical reductions, so far so good, but more deliberations will occur.

At this moment the Fire Department submitted a Budget to the City Council with no lay-offs in it.

I think that it may be possible that members of the New Rochelle City Council are trying to wedge in the "Regionalization Project", which could be done, but it will take some time and effort to pull it off (not to count the political red tape that such a project would have to go thru). But, as everyone has read on EMTBravo.net, the Proposed Regionalization Project calls for only 1 Rescue Unit in the Southeast Corridor of Westchester County and it would be in Pelham. So, what becomes of the New NRFD Rescue 4 and FDMV's Rescue, if such a Regionalization Plan becomes reality?

At the same meeting the Mayor asked the Fire Commissioner about the Regionalization Plan. The Fire Commissioner advised that the report was done and the Mayor asked that copies be made available to all the Council Members to read. I don't think they are trying to put any wedge in any plan at this time. Most of the council only know that a study was being done and not to any of the specifics. They are all aware that the plan will attempt to provide the same or better service at equal to or less cost.

At the same meeting the Mayor asked the Fire Commissioner about the Regionalization Plan. The Fire Commissioner advised that the report was done and the Mayor asked that copies be made available to all the Council Members to read. I don't think they are trying to put any wedge in any plan at this time. Most of the council only know that a study was being done and not to any of the specifics. They are all aware that the plan will attempt to provide the same or better service at equal to or less cost.

I would bet the bank that once members of the City Council read the Regionalization Plan/Report, some serious questions will be raised to the Fire Commissioner and them requiring the NRFD Fire Commissioner to provide the City Council with an immediate report on when such a plan could be put into place. "IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY"

If I am correct, several high rise buildings were built in downtown NR at a considerable low-tax incentive. Those buildings require more firefighters...not less. The cost burden is now on the taxpayer to pritect the city as a whole. The developers, on the other hand. are probably doing quite well financially.

An awful lot of people saw this crisis coming when these hi-rises were proposed, but not the City Council.

People like Trummp could actually donate the 12 FF's salaries to the city and The Don would not even feel any financial pain. In fact, it would be a charitable deduction for him.

The 4 citys in Westchester have all been under the gun at one point or another, from the past I have noticed the departments being told by the city councils that cuts may have to happen. In one situation that I am very familiar with the cuts that were requested came from within the Fire Department. I have a problem when a Fire Service Leader volunteers to demote and downsize the Department , especially when the Department is one of the busiest Departments within the NY Metro area and is so understaffed to begin with. Maybe that Fire Service leader took a class to help him volunteer cuts and demotions to his own Department?