Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

DA Sites Lack Of Training In Boston LODD Accident

8 posts in this topic

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/12/11/poor_training_cited_in_crash/

"The Boston Fire Department failed to provide adequate training on how to handle firetrucks in emergency situations, so when a firefighter tried desperately to slow his ladder truck as it careered down a steep hill on Jan. 9, he had no knowledge of how to overcome the massive brake failure, according to crash investigation results released yesterday."

Unfortunate, hopefully BFD will successfully retrain their engineers, drivers, whatever they refer to them as in driving in general, and especially the "what to do's" in situations such as this one that lead to the LODD of Lt. Kelley.

Are we providing adequate knowledge?

I know I was trained in such matters when I started driving apparatus, hope I never have to use it obviously, but I also hope all apparatus operators know.

Why pawn this off on the driver when it was the lack of adequate preventative maintenance that caused this incident???

I have to ask. How DOES one stop a giant ladder truck that is "careening" down a steep hill when your brakes have failed?

The article linked has the way air brakes operate completely backwards.

Reality: If the truck lost air pressure the brakes (should) engage.

(IMO) Both the primary and emergency vehicle braking systems failed causing this tragedy, not a lack of training!

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/12/11/poor_training_cited_in_crash/

"The Boston Fire Department failed to provide adequate training on how to handle firetrucks in emergency situations, so when a firefighter tried desperately to slow his ladder truck as it careered down a steep hill on Jan. 9, he had no knowledge of how to overcome the massive brake failure, according to crash investigation results released yesterday."

Does Massachusetts require CDL's for their emergency vehicle operators?

I would think the training required to get a CDL with all of the appropriate endorsements should be sufficient. If the operator had a CDL than the criteria behind the awarding of CDL's should be reviewed. If the operator didn't have a CDL than this is one more reason why the fire service should start driving to this type of standard.

I have to ask. How DOES one stop a giant ladder truck that is "careening" down a steep hill when your brakes have failed?

1. Say "feces" but in profanity form.

2. Then say "come on baby...come on" once..and only once.

3. Then say "hooooollllyyyyy pooooooooop (in profanity form)" while attempting to locate one of the following:

1. A place to bury the truck to minimize injury or death to others

and/or

2. A soft place to land as you contemplate bailing out.

In all seriousness...I don't think there is much more he could have done...that sounds as if there was a massive failure of the brake system...if anything the pumping of the air brakes might have helped the situation, as someone mentioned by causing the brakes to engage. Otherwise from the little info there he did as we are all taught and EVOC and defensive driving instructors teach..property before life. They seem hung up on the checking of the brake pressure and a broken u turn manuever. This sounds more of an issue of a lack of maintenance, lack of understanding of what a gauge (and hopefully the sounding of an alarm) and operational feature of apparatus. If the pressure was low then there should have been an alarm sounding when the pressures are under usually 90 psi...if the pressure drops below 45 psi the maxi brake engages as there isn't enough air pressure to keep the the system open.

On a side note..if you want to talk about how often singular events can effect the outlook of a department and fire service as a whole..look at the PR disaster BFD deals with by reading the comments. Some of these people with their comments are spot on and others are airbags that are morons that have no clue what they are talking about. But it again shows we're not special and no one cares what we do.