Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Mohegan Structure Fire 12/12/09

21 posts in this topic

Most of the fire was K/D when I got there, and the fire that was showing was hidden behind the smoke so the pictures didn't come out so good.

post-34-126065890178.jpg

post-34-126065890921.jpg

post-34-126065891692.jpg

post-34-126065892382.jpg

post-34-126065893378.jpg

post-34-126065894098.jpg

post-34-126065894819.jpg

post-34-126065895723.jpg

post-34-126065896695.jpg

post-34-126065897589.jpg

post-34-126065898411.jpg

post-34-126065899262.jpg

efdcapt115 likes this

Just curious was Santa and his Reindeer dispatched on the initial assingment or were they part of 10-75 mutual aid? :rolleyes::lol::P

Edited by DES630

Before the questions are asked...Yes, that is Santa in the first picture. The fire occurred during our candy cane runs and Santa "hit" the hydrant for us.

I am asking for a PAR.

Did Santa check in with 8 Reindeer or 9?

I'm a little disappointed that the Mack didn't stretch the first line in...with Santa!

:P Sleigh One responding with Eight Reindeer. :lol:

Is Santa's outfit NFPA compliant? :P

Where does Santa fit into NIMS?

Where does Santa fit into NIMS?

NIMS is dynamic and adaptable for all situations. Where Santa fits is up to the IC.

Consider Air Recon for him, or perhaps something in Logistics with his bag of stuff. Planning would be good, too...he's got that Naughty/Nice list going, you know.

Good things I see from these photographs:

1. At this point in the fire there seems to be adequate manpower.

2. The Command Post Board is deployed, with the Chief and Coordinator keeping a close eye on it.

3. There is RIT equipment and apparently a FAST team in front of the building.

4. All members are wearing appropriate gear, including Sanata.

5. Multiple handlines for back-up.

The questions I have are not a critique, I'm just curious:

1. Is this a truss constructed prefab, or a type 5?

2. Is there a basement?

3. Was the home occupied at the time of the fire?

4. How many units responded for the initial attack and what was that manpower number?

5. Was the aerial master-stream used for a knockdown?

6. Were groundladders deployed, maybe to the rear and out of view, or not needed?

4. Is the structure one level on all exposures?

Looks like it was a tough one for the first in units. Glad to see there is no info on here about any injuries.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

DOC22 likes this

The questions I have are not a critique, I'm just curious:

1. Is this a truss constructed prefab, or a type 5?

2. Is there a basement?

3. Was the home occupied at the time of the fire?

4. How many units responded for the initial attack and what was that manpower number?

5. Was the aerial master-stream used for a knockdown?

6. Were groundladders deployed, maybe to the rear and out of view, or not needed?

4. Is the structure one level on all exposures?

Looks like it was a tough one for the first in units. Glad to see there is no info on here about any injuries.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

I will try and answer most questions.. I am sure someone else can fill in the rest..

#1- No truss-- House was probably built in late 40's to 50's... roof had 3/4 tongue and groove and 2x6 rafters, 16 on center,, so guys inside did have a little time trying to stop spread in attic..

#2- Unknown- I never went into house..

#3- No, homeowners out shopping

#4- 1 ladder- Driver only.. 2 engines(257,258) had driver and probably 4+ on each due to Santa candy cane run that day and engine 255 driver only. But there was also some manpower on scene with there POV's upon my arrival (Ladder- First on scene)

#5- Yes, but after aggresive attack on garage and interior attack.. Fire was blowing out both garage doors upon arrival and was working it's way into attic area..

#6- Yes, one was deployed in front for venting team (moved away when ladder aerial masterstream used) and one was deployed to rear for secondary escape if needed..

#7- Property was level, so yes it was level on all exposures..

Edited by fire55

Instead of standing by the command post maybe Santa could have taken the windows in the front and helped out with ventilation which helps the crews that are operating inside. Even if the windows are removed later in the job, that can help out with visibility during overhaul and help vent CO and all the other products of combustion/incomplete combustion.

#1- No truss-- House was probably built in late 40's to 50's... roof had 3/4 tongue and groove and 2x6 rafters, 16 on center,, so guys inside did have a little time trying to stop spread in attic..

#4- 1 ladder- Driver only.. 2 engines(257,258) had driver and probably 4+ on each due to Santa candy cane run that day and engine 255 driver only. But there was also some manpower on scene with there POV's upon my arrival (Ladder- First on scene)

*That was a well built roof.

*It sound like y'all got lucky as the fire happened on a Saturday; you had the manpower on the rigs, and at the scene.

*Nice job and thanks for the detailed response; I appreciate it!

I have cell phone video from someone who was 10-84 before fd. If anyone knows how to upload it ill text it you, just PM me.

*That was a well built roof.

*It sound like y'all got lucky as the fire happened on a Saturday; you had the manpower on the rigs, and at the scene.

*Nice job and thanks for the detailed response; I appreciate it!

Well, Cap, I knew it was eventually going to happen.

You of all people,actually said "y'all."

The job in question was in NY, so the proper comment should have been "Youse guys was lucky."

...and Nims wants common terminology!

Which one of those terms is NIMS compliant?

Good job prompting that critique/discussion...Oops! I should have said "Debriefing"

efdcapt115 likes this

Yikes, those video's look a lot better on a screen as opposed to the cell phone.

Well, Cap, I knew it was eventually going to happen.

You of all people,actually said "y'all."

Actually, he has some more learnin to do, yet . The proper usage of y'all here, should have been plural:

*It sound like all y'all got lucky as the fire happened on a Saturday;....

There, I fixed it for ya'll.

Actually, he has some more learnin to do, yet . The proper usage of y'all here, should have been plural:

There, I fixed it for ya'll.

You are correct. Y'all applies to 1 or 2 people. All y'all is for larger groups.

Also they don't just do things, they go ahead and do them. For example, we say "I'll get the vent." They say "I'm gonna GO AHEAD and get the vent."

I thought I was starting to understand all this until somebody told me to "Go ahead and back up." NIMS is right...we need common terminology.

II'm going to write to NIMS, and ask them to address this issue. I'll ask them to expedite. That means I want them to look at this as soon as they ffinish with "What's a Rescue"