Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Adding LED strobes and other lights to a Prius

8 posts in this topic

I am trying to add lights to my 2010 Prius for use when I respond with my local VAC. I don't want to put anything on the dash and nothing magnetic (or otherwise)on the roof or anywhere on the exterior.

I am looking to take advantage of the LED lights that the Prius using for headlights and brake lights in the back. I will also be looking to add green LED in the grill work in the front. Maybe a light stick on the inside of the trunk lid in the smaller window.

Has anyone done anything like this in a Prius? Any suggestions / guidance? What vendors would you recommend for the LED units? What system controllers would you recommend -- which should I stay away from.

Thanks

I did an install on a Prius a few years back. At the time leds were still rather new and we used spare strobes from the parts room. I do remember removing the front bumper cover to remove the headlights.I would suggest that you don't use the existing lights and install Whelen hideaway leds on a plain rocker switch.

Yea you gotta be really careful messing with the factory wiring in the new vehicles. I did installs for 2 years in emergency vehicles and unless there is a specific relay pack for your vehicle I would avoid the factory wires and install led hidaways in the lenses with a flashpack.

What controllers would you recommend? Any sites you recommend who have reasonable pricing?

Just a thought...but why do you need all those lights to respond with your VAC...would 1 simple green light work? Oh wait...that's just the NYS V and T law.

Just a thought...but why do you need all those lights to respond with your VAC...would 1 simple green light work? Oh wait...that's just the NYS V and T law.

the same reason why vollie FD members get away with mini and full size lightbars, no one really cares about that law. i have never met a cop that has bothered a member about their "excessive" blue/green light use

I actually got pulled over yesterday by a Mount Pleasant cop. He pulled me over for have two many green lights. All I have is a single talon in the windshield and two TIR3's in the grille. So moral of the story, cops are watching. Also, as far as good cheap lighting, Prestige Emergency Lights is very good. They sell a dual dash and a quad stick for $72 bucks which is very cheap. They offer split colors and solid colors. I have two blue/clear dash lights from them they are very good low profile lights. However, for your Prius, hide always LEDs are good if you do not mind drilling into your new lights. Otherwise a single light such as an Whelen Avenger will do just fine!

Edited by PFDRes47cue

I actually got pulled over yesterday by a Mount Pleasant cop. He pulled me over for have two many green lights. All I have is a single talon in the windshield and two TIR3's in the grille. So moral of the story, cops are watching. Also, as far as good cheap lighting, Prestige Emergency Lights is very good. They sell a dual dash and a quad stick for $72 bucks which is very cheap. They offer split colors and solid colors. I have two blue/clear dash lights from them they are very good low profile lights. However, for your Prius, hide always LEDs are good if you do not mind drilling into your new lights. Otherwise a single light such as an Whelen Avenger will do just fine!

So just because you think you can get away with it, it's OK to break the law? Come on! The law is abundantly clear and if you choose to ignore it and put more lights on your vehicle than permissible it is still illegal. Personally I think we should take responsibility for ourselves and comply with the law but that's just me.

As for your blue and clear lights, they're illegal. You're not authorized to use clear lights and as ALS correctly noted, the law says one.

I am looking to take advantage of the LED lights that the Prius using for headlights and brake lights in the back. I will also be looking to add green LED in the grill work in the front. Maybe a light stick on the inside of the trunk lid in the smaller window.

Sounds like you're trying make clear/red flashing lights out of the cars existing LED's. Responding with a VAC that's illegal. Red/Clear (white) are reserved for emergency vehicles only.