Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LCFD968

Technical Horse Rescue, Lake Carmel FD (Putnam Cty) 12-15-2009

14 posts in this topic

We were called this morning for a horse stuck in a hole. Upon arrival this is what we found. a 35 year old Morgan horse named Parader with his rear leg stuck in a sink hole. Unknown the amount of time Parader was in the hole but it was completely exausted and had no strength left in him. With the manpower we had we extrciated the horse in approx 20 minutes by pulling and pushing and some rolling. It was then determined because the horse had no strength left we had to lift him up to his feet or he could die. Long story shortened.. The Town of Kent brought a front end loader, the local Horse Hospital out of Patterson brought a harness and the horse was raised up and an IV (5 Litter) was established.. After an hour or two Parader couldn't hold up his own weight still so they loaded him into a horse trailer to transport to New England Equestrian (sp?)Patterson Horse Hospital.

Awesome job by Lake Carmel FD, Kent FD, Kent PD, Putnam County Emergency Services, Town of Kent and the 4 or 5 Vets that were on location..

post-937-126091941999.jpg

post-937-126091964695.jpg

post-937-126092169144.jpg

post-937-126092172781.jpg

post-937-126092186886.jpg

post-937-126092188689.jpg

Edited by LCFD968

Hopefully the horse pulls through.

Good job to all involved.

Have there been any large animal rescue techniques classes taught in the New York City Metro area recently. The only reason I ask is that about every six months or so there seems to be another situation requiring the rescue and extrication of a large animal from some situation. I know I heard that there was talk of a class in Northern Westchester and Putnam or Dutchess County but I don't know if anything happened. Does the county or state have a protocol for dealing with these situations. It said that 4-5 vets were on scene, how were they notified of the incident and how did they operate within the structure of the incident?

That's pretty damn old for a horse. Did the owner or anyone give him tranquilizers?

That's pretty damn old for a horse. Did the owner or anyone give him tranquilizers?

No tranqs were used.They wanted that horse to get up on his own power. They did pump him with anti inflammatory and a warmed up IV to raise his body temperature.

Have there been any large animal rescue techniques classes taught in the New York City Metro area recently. The only reason I ask is that about every six months or so there seems to be another situation requiring the rescue and extrication of a large animal from some situation. I know I heard that there was talk of a class in Northeern Westchester and Putnam or Dutchess County but I don't know if anything happened. Does the county or state have a protocol for dealing with these situations. It said that 4-5 vets were on scene, how were they notified of the incident and how did they operate within the structure of the incident?

Hi-

Im with Bedford FD. Ive been trying for about a year now to organize this training, but it has been the tuition fees have not been easy to raise. Myself and our Capt. have taken the class upstate and found it worthwhile if your district has horses or other large animals. Ive not been able to raise the capital needed to secure the tuition so if you have any ideas or if your dept. is interested in this, have an officer contact Lt. Newman at the Bedford FD.

Thanks

What happened to the burnt toast calls in the morning!?! Looks like a great job by all involved!

What happened to the burnt toast calls in the morning!?! Looks like a great job by all involved!

LOL...

"Hey what did you do today??"

"Well I was awaken for a call in the morning and went and lifted a horse out of a hole, what did you do??"

Sad to say Parader passed away early this morning at New England "Horse Hospital" with his half brother by his side. His half brother "Glory" is also 34 years old and they have spent their life together...

Sad to say Parader passed away early this morning at New England "Horse Hospital" with his half brother by his side. His half brother "Glory" is also 34 years old and they have spent their life together...

That's a shame. If memory serves me right 34 isn't too bad for a horse, no?

That's a shame. If memory serves me right 34 isn't too bad for a horse, no?

35 years old in horse years is equal to a 90 year old human...

Sad to hear that the horse passed away. Nice job on calling the right resources for the rescue. Well the bells hit you never know what you are going for..