Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x1243

Tow Truck/Scavenger

9 posts in this topic

I was wondering if any other Fire-Rescue companies in the area have to combat getting to a scene with not only the general public in your way but the tow truck companies as well???? Does any companies out there have any Policies or rules set fourth for tow companies to follow. In the west side of our district there are usually more tow trucks than Emergency personnel vehicles. It just annoys me that a Rescue Vehicle should park a quarter mile away due to 6 tow trucks being not only close to the scene but sometimes in the Hot Zone. I have even heard of a car being hooked up and being pulled on a flat bed when Fire-Rescue arrived.

Dont get me wrong there are a lot of good companies out there. I have worked hand and hand with some to help with extrication or even technical rescue but enough is enough. :unsure:<_< :angry:

yes lots of places deal with this. Several municipalities around me have adopted rules that companies must register and be placed on a rotating list and be called when needed. Granted you may have to wait a few minutes but it’s worth not going thru the hassle. If a tow is on scene and is needed to clear lanes by discretion of the PO may tell them to take it and they simply get moved to last on the list. This may be a good option for your dept. to explore along with the PD

Generally where I worked the tow companies worked on rotation for the police department, they had to meet certain standards (set forth by the Mass. Department of Utilities and Transportation) and it went on a weekly basis as to which company had it. generally unless directly requested (ordered) by an officer on scene (if passing by) we would steer clear if it was another company's rotation (jumping calls was frowned upon)

Wreckers can be a good thing. If it's an accident and patients are self-extricated, getting the vehicles out of the lane of traffic can help avoid secondary collision.

Also, working with the wrecker companies can help them establish a "barrier" until the PD or FD is ready to remove the vehicles from the roadway.

I know down here, priority (after life safety) is to get the vehicle off the roadway, especially if it is a high speed roadway, to prevent a secondary collision and protect responders)

Are you speaking of different tow companies on the scene? Are you speaking of scenes in general, or perhaps on a contracted roadway (like the thruway and parkwayss)?

I was wondering if any other Fire-Rescue companies in the area have to combat getting to a scene with not only the general public in your way but the tow truck companies as well???? Does any companies out there have any Policies or rules set fourth for tow companies to follow. In the west side of our district there are usually more tow trucks than Emergency personnel vehicles. It just annoys me that a Rescue Vehicle should park a quarter mile away due to 6 tow trucks being not only close to the scene but sometimes in the Hot Zone. I have even heard of a car being hooked up and being pulled on a flat bed when Fire-Rescue arrived.

Dont get me wrong there are a lot of good companies out there. I have worked hand and hand with some to help with extrication or even technical rescue but enough is enough. :unsure:<_< :angry:

Was there a victim in the car being hooked up by the tow? Why should they wait until Fire arrives to hook it up if there is no fire/injuries?

As for policies or rules, most municipalities have regulations for tow services and there is generally a rotation of authorized tows or a preferred vendor who has met some sort of minimum requirements to be an authorized tow for the community. I'm guessing that the municipality to which you're referring has no such thing.

Has an officer from your department spoken with the PD or the tow services to resolve this?

Was there a victim in the car being hooked up by the tow? Why should they wait until Fire arrives to hook it up if there is no fire/injuries?

As for policies or rules, most municipalities have regulations for tow services and there is generally a rotation of authorized tows or a preferred vendor who has met some sort of minimum requirements to be an authorized tow for the community. I'm guessing that the municipality to which you're referring has no such thing.

Has an officer from your department spoken with the PD or the tow services to resolve this?

I understand property damage, but a car into a tree with entrapment. There is no reason to have any number of tow trucks pulled up close to the scene no matter where you are. Even if who gives the tow truck authority to move any thing until PD deems it ok.

I simply asked if anyone else had any issues or possibly any suggestions no need to get all rough and rugged. Sorry to all of the tow truck ops who might have got offended

I understand property damage, but a car into a tree with entrapment. There is no reason to have any number of tow trucks pulled up close to the scene no matter where you are. Even if who gives the tow truck authority to move any thing until PD deems it ok.

I simply asked if anyone else had any issues or possibly any suggestions no need to get all rough and rugged. Sorry to all of the tow truck ops who might have got offended

Stand by, are you saying that your scenario involved a tow truck hooking up a car with an injured person still inside it? If that's the case there is certainly a big issue and the tow service should be dealt with by the local authorities.

Stand by, are you saying that your scenario involved a tow truck hooking up a car with an injured person still inside it? If that's the case there is certainly a big issue and the tow service should be dealt with by the local authorities.

Yes Chris that actually happened before. My overall issue is trying to get proper rig placement when the scene is mobbed with tow trucks. Not that it is there responsibilty but it ia almost like patient care takes a back seat to who can grab the car first.

Not sure where you work, but I cannot think of even one incident with out local tows that even comes close to this. Sounds like potentially a regional issue for you.