Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Yonkers FD New Apparatus Updates

19 posts in this topic

Does anyone within YFD have an update as it relates to the deliveries of the 2 New ALF Eagle Pumpers (1 to replace the current E308 and the other to replace the current E306)? As well as an update as it relates to the deliveries of the 2 New Smeal/Spartan Pumpers (1 to replace the current E309 and I believe the other will be going to replace the current E313)-and the delivery of the New Smeal/Spartan Rescue/Pumper to replace the current Squad 11 and finally the delivery of the New Smeal Rearmount Ladder Truck to replace the current L72? I believe that the Smeal/Spartan Bid Award for the 2 New Pumpers, the New Rescue/Pumper and the New Ladder Truck was approved and awarded back in November 2008, not sure when the ALF Award was approved [PS - Does anyone also have an update as to the repairs on the Old Rescue 1 (now Spare Rescue 2)? Has it come back and is it in Spare/Reserve Fleet Status yet]

Much thanks for any and all informaton that someone within YFD might have on this and Happy New Year to everyone. Please make it a safe one for all. :)

Edited by 61MACKBR1

No updates that I know of. Are you sure about the amount and placement of apparatus?? I searched previous threads and can not find anyone stating the amount or placement of apparatus. Are you able to clarify.

I had read on EMTBravo awhile ago that Yonkers was due to get 2 New ALF Eagles that they had ordered early in 2008 and were originally due in September 2009 and that delivery date was pushed back to December 2009. I also read on the Fotki.com Westchester Fire Apparatus Site that "originally" the 2 ALF Eagles were planned for Engine 309 and 308, but that it had been changed to 308 and 306 (since apparantly 306 needs to be replaced quicker than 309 does). Then, I read the public notices from the November 28, 2008 Yonkers Board of Contract and Supply awarding Smeal the bid for 2 Pumper Apparatus (309 and I would presume the other going to 313 as it is the next oldest front line pumper in service), 1 Rescue/Pumper Apparatus (to replace Squad 11) and 1 Tandem Axel Rear Mount 100' Aerial Ladder (to replace Ladder 72). Here is a copy of the minutes of that November 28, 2008 Yonkers Contract and Supply Meeting, referring to Page # 5 for the information that outlines the award of bid on the Smeal/Spartan Apparatus

CITY OF YONKERS

BOARD OF CONTRACT AND SUPPLY

MEETING OF NOVEMBER 26, 2008 – 10:30 AM

CITY HALL - MAYOR’S RECEPTION ROOM - 2ND FLOOR

MEMBERS

PHILIP A. AMICONE, MAYOR

Chuck Lesnick, City Council President

James LaPerche, Commissioner of Finance & Management Services

Joseph Moran, City Engineer

Sandy Annabi, City Council Majority Leader (Absent)

OTHERS IN ATTENDANCE

Tom Collich, Purchasing Director William T. Regan, Deputy Mayor

Frank J. Rubino, Corporation Counsel David Medranda, Aide, City Council

ANNOTATED AGENDA - PART 1

PROCUREMENTS SUBJECT TO GENERAL MUNICIPAL LAW 103

VOTING MEMBERS

Mayor Philip A. Amicone Joseph Moran

James LaPerche Chuck Lesnick

Page 5

Fire

Bid 5421 – Purchase of two pumper apparatus per Yonkers Fire Department

specifications.

FUNDING 060-007-0491-0200 BID OPENING 11/24/2008

Three bids received.

Award to low bidder: Award Amount

Smeal Fire Apparatus $447,000

Award contingent upon IG review of Vendor Background Questionnaire.

Bid 5422 – Purchase of one tandem axel rear mount 100’ aerial ladder apparatus per

Yonkers Fire Department specifications.

Three bids received.

Smeal Fire Apparatus $699,900

Award contingent upon IG review of Vendor Background Questionnaire.

Bid 5423 – Purchase of one rescue pumper apparatus per Yonkers Fire Department

specifications.

Three bids received.

Smeal Fire Apparatus $518,000

I had read on the Fotki.com site that the Smeal/Spartan Rigs were due in Early January 2010. However, I wasn't sure if anyone within YFD had an update.

Any and all information on this would be appreciated - THANKS !!! :)

post-80-12620338721.png

Edited by 61MACKBR1

Question - item number 7 for the 2 pumpers... the quote of $ 447,000 is that for 2 rigs - or - price PER rig ???

Question - item number 7 for the 2 pumpers... the quote of $ 447,000 is that for 2 rigs - or - price PER rig ???

I believe the way that the City of Yonkers does its award bidding, the quote of Item # 7 for the '2 Pumpers' of $447,000 is the price per rig, not total price for both.

yes, you are correct, that is a price PER rig. I will inquire about the other questions on my next tour (New Years Day)

Have any ALF rigs rolled off the incredibly delayed assembly line recently?

Why is squad 11 being replaced so soon? Its 3-4 years old correct? Will the old squad 11 be placed in the spare pool as a spare when the new squad 11 goes out of service?

Thanks WhoisDan.

Yonkers FD, for being one of the largeset cities in NYS (outside of NYC) continues to be the best equiped Fire Department in the State. Interesting to see that YFD has gone back to Smeal for their Pumper Apparatus (this time apparently with a Spartan Chassis rather than a HME Chassis). The lowest bid has allot to do with it also probably given that Campbell out of New Jersey is no longer hanlding ALF as their Front Line Apparatus and maybe the new dealer didn't have the relationship and reputation with YFD that Campball had and the success and service that YFD has has with New England Fire Apparatus.

Is the current squad 11 going to go in to the spare pool? Its only 3-4 years old correct?

Why is a three or four year old piece getting replaced? I wish my department was that aggressive with replacement!

Why is a three or four year old piece getting replaced? I wish my department was that aggressive with replacement!

It's not getting replaced, really. Yonkers needs some dependable spares, as well as apparatus to use for training and during major incidents. Also, Squad 11 is getting replaced for the same reason...in addition,they don't have a backup rig capable of carrying all their equipment.

If you get "up close and personal" with these apparatus, you can see they are well-cared for, but you can also see that they really see some fire duty and other work, as well as brutal Yonkers street conditions.

The prices Yonkers is getting these engines for is very,very reasonable considering they are custom chasis, custom built stainless steel apparatus.

These apparatus were also bid out, and Yonkers didn't pick who they wanted, they picked who meeted their needs and at the price they wanted.

I don't think anyone even YFD has any idea when the ALF's will be delivered. ALF direct is now the dealer, and they are very hard to get an answer from. I believe this is in the process of being resolved through language in the contract.

I don't think anyone even YFD has any idea when the ALF's will be delivered. ALF direct is now the dealer, and they are very hard to get an answer from. I believe this is in the process of being resolved through language in the contract.

Seth - Could not have said it any better. If one would look into the number of runs each of these rigs make each year, within the rough terrain of the City of Yonkers (Hills, Tight Roads, etc), you would see the beating that they take, but to look at them up close, you would not know that they are as old or have the wear and tear on them, that they do. Your point on Squad 11 is right on. They don't have an adequate spare to hold all of the equipment that they carry on their regular front line rig, thus the need for a new one (just like YFD is anxiously awaiting the return of Rescue 2 [The 2000 ALF Eagle Heavy Rescue that is in for Body Work] so that they can have an adequate spare for Rescue 1. Also, Engine 306 is the busiest Engine Company in Westchester County, thus the crticial need for a replacement rig. Yes, ALF is behind in their delieveries, but I suspect that they will honor all of their orders and make delieveries on them as quickly as ALF can deliver them to Yonkers. Hopefully the replacements for E308 and E306 will get to Yonkers within the next couple of weeks. As for the Smeal Spartans, knowing how prompt Smeal has been in the past, via NEFA, I would suspect that the new E309, Squad 11, E313?, and Ladder 72 will be arriving as originally scheduled, sometime in late January. It will be very interesting to see what these 2 Smeal/Spartans Engines and the New Squad 11 will look like when they are delivered in Yonkers.

I am sure that Chief Fitzpatrick and others within YFD are on top of each of these 6 delieveries and will report on the progress, here on EMTBravo.net, as soon as they have updates. :D

you nailed it on the head. Chief Fitz is definetly on top of all of this, all of the time. If anyone knows when these rigs are coming, it is him. Seth, from my experience as a FF in Yonkers, your assumptions are right on target. Especially regarding E-306, Sq-11, and Rescue.

OK, here are the facts from a great friend who's also a very knowledgable source:

-The info 61Mack posted regarding the BOCS agenda is correct we did bid 2 regular pumpers HOWEVER only awarded the bid for 1 which is going to 309 because 309 is a LDH company and the new rig has a 1500 gpm pump.

-The ALF's are still going to 308 & 306 because they are next in line. They have seen photos of the engines in production, with Larchmont's new Engine having the final inspection done right ahead in line)

-The squad was replaced due to them not having a spare and the Rescue could also use the spare squad.

-313 will be the oldest rig on the line until at least the next budget cycle.

-Hope to send the threee F-350's out in January for complete outfitting as command vehicles and have them in service by end of Jan - Feb Latest.

Thanks Seth for the update. Do you (or your contact within YFD) know the latest on the body work and repairs being made on Rescue 2, so that it can be used as the primary spare for Rescue 1?

Any more word on these new rigs ?

Any more word on these new rigs ?

I haven't heard if Larchmont FD has received delivery of their ALF Eagle Pumper yet. What I understand is that the 2 New Yonkers FD ALF Eagle Pumpers (New 308 and 306) were right behind Larchmont's on the assembly line at ALF. It should be anyday now, but again, with ALF you never know. I am somewhat surprised that the 3 New Smeal Spartan Rigs from New England Fire Apparatus coming to Yonkers (New E-309, Squad 11, and L-72) haven't come ahead of the ALF's knowing how efficient and effective Smeal and NEFA are about meeting or exceeding delivery requirements. I am sure that Chief Fitzpatrick, Chief Flynn, or maybe R1Smokeeater or Seth might have updates that they can provide everyone on this, plus the New Batt 1, Batt 2, and Safety Trucks going into service, the latest on the New Foam Truck out of Station 13, and if the body repairs on Rescue 2 (the 2000 ALF Rescue Truck) have been completed [latest was that the Body Repair facility in Yonkers doing the work on R2 was waiting on Spare Parts from ALF).

If those in YFD could provide us with an update that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and Stay Safe