Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
conman

Wireless in the Apparatus

4 posts in this topic

My department is looking to put apparatus in our rescue. We were looking at two options, either getting a pre-paid wireless card or a contract. Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

My department is looking to put apparatus in our rescue. We were looking at two options, either getting a pre-paid wireless card or a contract. Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I just ran across this;

http://www.datajack.com/products

Don't know much about it though, sorry.

It all depends on what you plan on doing with it. You need to make sure you have a "plan" if you are going to make the investment with the technology. Will it be integrating with CAD/dispatch? GPS enabled? Security considerations also need to be taken into consideration. Just mounting a computer in a truck with no software or shortcuts is not very useful. You also need to make sure you have someone keeping the computer updated/current. You also need to consider the type of computer and the use it will get. A Panasonic Toughbook (or similiar) will cost $4,000 plus. The newer CF30 computers also have an integrated modem (Gobi). I would also check with your State to see if you can get on a State contract (Verizon, AT&T, etc.)

Before you select a Wireless carrier, I would check the signal strength in your rig. I would be sure to mount an external antenna given the amount of material that will be surrounding the cab of the truck/computer.

Edited by T. John
efdcapt115 and x635 like this

We recently installed inmotion wireless into all 45 of our ambulances basically making each ambulance a WiFi hotspot on wheels. I have no idea how much the system costs but with additional software it will also allow you to maintain vehicle locators and also vehicle performance information when hooked to the vehicle's computer. When fully functional, the system is going to provide some great information to our communications center.

There are a few things to be cognizant of, however. First and foremost is security versus access. Beyond that, read the fine print when you order a system and match it with your needs. Although the inmotion system advertises 100 MBps internet service, the truth is that 100MBps is only a reality while the vehicle is standing still. While moving, your internet service is 10MBps at best and sometimes less. If you are trying to download database information while the vehicle is moving, that may not be the most reliable access. You should also consider the terrain that may limit your access. We have a few emergency rooms where the entrance is up against a several story building or under a canopy and the service is limited in those areas. We can usually resolve that by moving out of the ER bay after discharging our patient but if you're regularly parking your rescue in a city environment, that may be an issue.

Overall, once the bugs worked themselves out, the wireless access has been great via the inmotion system.