Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moggie6

Vassar Hospital Emergency Room

16 posts in this topic

For those of us who have bought patients to Vassar's Emergency Room...... Does anyone find the computers they have annoying?

I just want to add that the Emergency Room Staff at Vassar Hospital do one hell of a job. I have the up most respect for them. I hope that no one takes this personally.

For those of us who have bought patients to Vassar's Emergency Room...... Does anyone find the computers they have annoying?

YESSS....especially with TC being so widespread now, you could have 3 beds on the bored labeled just transcare.

Edited by 67R93

you mean they actually use that sometimes. Its usual blank when I get there. :angry: :huh:

you mean they actually use that sometimes. Its usual blank when I get there. mad.gifhuh.gif

umm, yah well when they use it..lol...kind of the same thing with Saints.

Which computers are we referring to? The ones used by the nurses for registration or the one to point crews what bed they are taking their patient?

The board that tells us where to go is great. They use it most of the time at night and it prevents crews from piling up in front of the core with patients (coincidentally the most "in the way" place you can be in the Vassar ED). As far as the computers that they use for triage, they take a bit of getting used to both on the part of the nurses and EMS but they will, if used correctly, lead to more precise patient care. It might take you another minute to give your report, but it's well worth it.

I agree totally. The transfer of patient care is a much smoother process than it has been in the past. I remember waiting for a nurse to notice that you were standing there with a patient, then wait longer for the patient to get triaged and paperwork signed. The incoming board was a great idea (if used) at all facilities.

The board that tells us where to go is great. They use it most of the time at night and it prevents crews from piling up in front of the core with patients (coincidentally the most "in the way" place you can be in the Vassar ED). As far as the computers that they use for triage, they take a bit of getting used to both on the part of the nurses and EMS but they will, if used correctly, lead to more precise patient care. It might take you another minute to give your report, but it's well worth it.

The first screen is nice until there is AFD for room 11,17,26 transcare for rooms 33,28,and 17. As for the "COWS" (PCS) that the nurses, docs, and techs use they obviously get in the way and in reference to pt care have taken away from it. The staff ends up spending more time on the computer then actually looking at the patient and treating. Unfortunatly if I remember correctly all hospitals are to be using "online documenting" I.E. "Emergisoft" that Vassar uses or another program by 2011 or 2012.

How about all the ER expansions lately that never consult with EMS? Kingston's looks great, but like Vassar's, you have walk-ins crosing were ambulances are moving thru, and the transport rigs are trying to move people out. mad.gif St. Francisis? C'mon folks, before you build, ask those who use it what we would like to see, suggestions. Architiects are generally not EMS providers, and often have no hospital experience. Vassar's nice computers look great. They have a nice CiC, except ... the charge nurses' backs is towards the door EMS door, and it is at ground level. Raising it 6 inches would give them the ability to oversee what we are doing and have better command and control. AND, I didn't mention those $%^&**^$@# loading docks from the daze of the Caddys!blink.gif

How about all the ER expansions lately that never consult with EMS? Kingston's looks great, but like Vassar's, you have walk-ins crosing were ambulances are moving thru, and the transport rigs are trying to move people out. mad.gif St. Francisis? C'mon folks, before you build, ask those who use it what we would like to see, suggestions. Architiects are generally not EMS providers, and often have no hospital experience. Vassar's nice computers look great. They have a nice CiC, except ... the charge nurses' backs is towards the door EMS door, and it is at ground level. Raising it 6 inches would give them the ability to oversee what we are doing and have better command and control. AND, I didn't mention those $%^&**^$@# loading docks from the daze of the Caddys!blink.gif

they don't consult the people working in the ER let alone the people that are there for a few mins lol...it seems more time than non functionality is the least concern

they don't consult the people working in the ER let alone the people that are there for a few mins lol...it seems more time than non functionality is the least concern

I can attest to that too WMCer111!!

Ever been to Good Sam? I could only imagine what an ED would like like if you built it, Ed. :o

Back to the original question, i think the computers have good and bad points. Believe it or not, I much prefer the way St. Luke's triages on scrap paper, then documents in the computers. I feel like this way the patient care aspect is not gone from the process. It can be frustrating, especially when brining in a critical patient and you have to give a report 3 times because you didn't answer the questions the computer was prompting for in the right order... It seems to bog down the process. On the other side of the coin, I'm sure it is much more streamlined for the ED staff, I dig the virtual bed boards.

Vassar's incoming board is great when they use it until you get to the room and it hasn't been cleaned from the last patient

Computers - get used to them they are the future...now it's just getting used multi-tasking

Just because you are on the board does not translate to getting a warm body to speak to as far as pt report and transfer of care right away. I have waited as someone has stated before ,quite a while, before someone even notices we are there...dont get me wrong... I know the ERs in this area get taxed to the max at times. But even after getting a bed we have waited a while to give a report.

Just because you are on the board does not translate to getting a warm body to speak to as far as pt report and transfer of care right away. I have waited as someone has stated before ,quite a while, before someone even notices we are there...dont get me wrong... I know the ERs in this area get taxed to the max at times. But even after getting a bed we have waited a while to give a report.

With Vassar ER it runs deep with mis-communication, no organization at times and a staff that can be very overworked. One of the saddest parts of the matter is management just doesn't care.