Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seagrave7

LAFD KME Water Tender

13 posts in this topic

Peterbilt, 2500 gal, remote water trurret controls in cab, rear backup camera, LED lightbar.

WaterTender007.jpg

WaterTender009.jpg

Very nice!! Question though... Is that all wheel drive???? It looks high off of ground.. Almost top heavy looking..

Very nice!! Question though... Is that all wheel drive???? It looks high off of ground.. Almost top heavy looking..

yes it's AWD. It isn't that top heavy. There are thousands of these style trucks used by road construction crews, forestry, and FD's

looks like it's built like a water tender not a tanker hence no dump valve

Yep 6x6.

the center of gravity has got to be at least...... 5 ft. if not more... so how is it not top heavy ?

Tankers in general are top heavy, add on the 4x6 feature, and that baby is really top heavy... but it is what they need so it works well for them....

looks like it's built like a water tender not a tanker hence no dump valve

here in the West a tanker is an aircraft which drops retardant, a tender is a truck that hauls water...

In Canada Firefighting Aircraft are called water bombers.

In Canada Firefighting Aircraft are called water bombers.

Now I like that name.... its plan and simple....

the center of gravity has got to be at least...... 5 ft. if not more... so how is it not top heavy ?

Tankers in general are top heavy, add on the 4x6 feature, and that baby is really top heavy... but it is what they need so it works well for them....

I wrote that quick reply on my cell phone... My point is that it isn't much more top heavy than an existing 3000gal tanker. I took the another members quote as implying that it was too top heavy to be worth having in service.

I've driven one of these before and have over a decade of experience driving T-15 in Millwood which is arguably the biggest and tallest tanker in Westchester. A 6x6 setup like this one doesn't feel that much different. In fact, they are sprung so stiff, that the front end feels more solid than a RWD varient. Also, if you look at the center of gravity on an Engine-Tanker like Westchester's Tankers 10, 12, 5, 6, 15, etc that all carry a full bed of LDH above the water tank, I'd argue that the added height of a 6x6 with a semi elipictal tank and no hose up top as well as no added weight of upper compartmentalization that the two might be a wash...

Who knows I might be wrong.

Nice lookin' rig. When did LAFD get this WT?

They have not been delivered yet. There are two of them for the LAFD. Currently they are at the KME dealership still being outfitted.