Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Portsmouth OH Fire Buff

115' Schwing Aerial Ladder

17 posts in this topic

Its a big rig and has been in service a long time now. I beleive it was already discussed here a long time ago but still it is a very interesting unit.

I know I will not make many friends with this sentiment, but I am sure that their need for this type of articulating platform is almost as great as their need for 10 person cabs.

M' Ave likes this

Their department was torn apart over this truck. As from what I understand the truck is seldom in operational capacity and the engine companies have distanced themselves from the truck company. They have had to have loaner trucks on numerous occasions as the Schwing is very faulty and dangerous (It has stalled in mid air operation)

Their department was torn apart over this truck. As from what I understand the truck is seldom in operational capacity and the engine companies have distanced themselves from the truck company. They have had to have loaner trucks on numerous occasions as the Schwing is very faulty and dangerous (It has stalled in mid air operation)

Schwing has been making aerial devices concrete pumping for decades. They have provided booms for fuel storage and refinery fire fighting as well. Chances are if you see a 6 or 8 axle concrete pump on a highrise construction job, the boom is probably a Schwing product. Thus I'm willing to bet that if there are issues with this rig, it's not the boom.

99% of the rigs I've ever seen with Schwing booms on them are Mack MR or MC (I think) chassis with twin or tri steer front axles. I'm willing to bet that the biggest issue with this rig is whomever built it didn't have the skill set necessary to place that aerial device on that chassis with the proper electronics, pump, etc.

I know I will not make many friends with this sentiment, but I am sure that their need for this type of articulating platform is almost as great as their need for 10 person cabs.

I'm sure their 19 member company fills out that cab every run.

LOL- Wasn't "schwing" the word that Wayne and Garth (Wayne's World) used to describe the reaction of a "certain member of the male anatomy" to the sight of a beautiful girl? Can't believe no one picked up on that and commented about getting the Schwing up at a fire scene.... I must be getting too old.

FFBlaser likes this

Although it looks a bit under sprung (but that could be the picture) it is a very unique piece that seems to have been well thought out by the purchaser. At first glance I knew it was a concrete pumper that are usually on Macks. I bet the only problems are the electronics. It would be tricky for any fire manufacturer to get the electronics smooth on essentially a prototype. They probably should have stuck with Mack's electronics and challenged Mack to build a ten man cab, not the other way around. Kind of intriguing though……..

the local paper in bergen county did a piece on this because of the million dollar price tag that came with it

Seems slightly pointless. Every company member has his own personal seat and a seat for his gear as well.

Should have kept the old Mack Snorkel........

very interesting piece...one would think it would need more than three axles carrying all the additional fire rescue equipment. Most commercial concrete pumpers have four or even six.

very interesting piece...one would think it would need more than three axles carrying all the additional fire rescue equipment. Most commercial concrete pumpers have four or even six.

I bet that has to do with the incredible weight of the concrete that would be pumped through. In comparison, people and even water, don't weigh as much.

That said, what a stupid rig. Clearly, no one on the committee has ever heard of the K.I.S. theory. KEEP IT SIMPLE! Also, having a one-off item doesn't usually turn out well. The first of anything has bugs, glitches and design flaws that need to be worked out by actual field time.

We can always look for a way to improve upon the systems that we have now. We shouldn't get mired in the "100 years of tradition unimpeded by progress" mantra, but lets make smart decisions. Thousands of Tower Ladders and Ladder Towers have been sold all over the country and the world. Theses designs have worked for departments for 50+ years. Industrial Dept's, rural and suburban dept's and large cities from coast to coast. Why would one suburban department in New Jersey feel that they are so different that they need this radical device?

Just seems like poor planning.