Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pvfdtowman

Question about obtaining an EMT cert.

7 posts in this topic

i have a question and i hope one/some people on this site can shed some light on it...... a close friend of mine got caught up on the wrong side of the law a couple years ago and has sinced turned his life around for the better hes gotten back into volunteering and now wants to further things by getting his emt but he has heard conflicting reports that he cant get it , he can get , and he might be able to get it with a lot of paperwork and a review from the D.O.H. ......is there anyone here that can confirm or deny any of the things he has been told??? thanx in advance

In accordance with the provisions of the State Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Code - 10 NYCRR Part 800; applicants for EMS certification or recertification must not have been convicted of certain misdemeanors or felonies. The Department will review all criminal convictions from any federal, military, state and/or local jurisdiction to determine if such convictions fall within the scope of those specified in Part 800, or to determine if the applicant for certification represents a potential risk or danger to patients or the public at large.

The regulation does not prevent an applicant with a criminal conviction from attending and completing all of the requirements of an EMS course. However, it may prevent the applicant from becoming certified in New York State until the Department has conducted a review and investigation of the circumstances of the conviction(s) and made a determination that the applicant does not demonstrate a risk or danger to patients. If the Department makes a determination allowing certification, the applicant will be eligible to take the NYS practical and written certification examinations, if otherwise qualified. All applicants should be fully informed of these requirements by the CIC at the beginning of the course.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/policy/09-05.htm

EFD nailed it and the instructions in that policy statement are pretty clear.

What the criminal record is will determine how extensive the investigation will be. It is possible to become an EMT with criminal convictions (including some felonies) but it isn't a guarantee.

Whatever your friend decides, make sure he/she DOES NOT SIGN the course application unless he/she is absolutely sure that they can. If they sign, they're affirming that they're eligible for certification and that will be treated harshly when/if the record comes to light.

What Chris said. If he does sign before being approved he's toast. I've seen some people with impressive records still get their card. Letters from judges, arresting officers, parole officers, etc go a long way towards getting approved.

thanks a lot guys for helping me out i let him know the options and read him all your answers ....to add further he said the final conviction was attemted burglary in the 2nd degree if that matters that much more

non violent crime, not drug related, and not a habitual offender. He should be fine.

B&E stuff... lol

That's actually more of an asset. We break into homes to rescue people all the time!