Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
223Truck

Katonah Fire 1/26/10 Discussion and Info

17 posts in this topic

Anyone have anymore information on this fire, sounds like a big one. I thought I heard thornwood FD at bedford hills firehouse covering for quite a few towns

KATONAH — An overnight fire gutted the Deer Park Tavern.

The blaze was reported about 3 a.m. in the two-story building at Routes 22 and 35. A sanitation man from a private carter passing by noticed the fire and flagged down a state trooper.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20100126/NEWS02/1260365

link

Me too, I heard Thornwood's ladder was still covering just before seven.

Edited by E106MKFD

Anyone have anymore information on this fire, sounds like a big one. I thought I heard thornwood FD at bedford hills firehouse covering for quite a few towns

From what I can remember hearing.

At scene, Katonah (All Eqpt) , BHFD TL-57, T-5, Mt Kisco U-13 (FAST), E-104, TL-14, Goldens Bridge E-140 , Bedford E-108, Tankers, 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8,14, 15

DES B-16, B-13 (Water) C&O Zones 4/5

Relocates

Chappaqua E-146 (Later sent as additional water source on Jay St), Banksville E-158, Pleasantville E-261 ( I thinK) in Katonah

Thornwood TL-1 in Bedford Hills

Additional Relocates- Croton Falls E-148 to cover Goldens Bridge, and Brewster 11-4-2 to CFFD North Salem Station to cover the area with the Tanker.

Photos from the Katonah fire http://jukebox.lohud...0fire%201-26-10

looking at some of those pictures I don't want to monday morning quaterback but the protabale ladder being used I would think that you would of wanted to be raised higher. From the pictures not being there seeing all that fire and smoke i would think with the limited light i would want that ladder raised higher about the edge of the roof so if i had to baily quickly I would be able to grab it fast. just looking what other people think of that.

Does anyone in Northern Westchester use FOAM ? If not,they should really look into it. They would use alot less water! Also Put the fire out alot quicker.

Additional Relocates- Croton Falls E-148 to cover Goldens Bridge, and Brewster 11-4-2 to CFFD North Salem Station to cover the area with the Tanker.

Thanks Doc, thats what happens when you try to post at the end of a long midnight tour. You forget things

looking at some of those pictures I don't want to monday morning quaterback but the protabale ladder being used I would think that you would of wanted to be raised higher. From the pictures not being there seeing all that fire and smoke i would think with the limited light i would want that ladder raised higher about the edge of the roof so if i had to baily quickly I would be able to grab it fast. just looking what other people think of that.

I seriously doubt anyone was on the second floor, therefore making the ladder placement not necessary for quick escape.

I seriously doubt anyone was on the second floor, therefore making the ladder placement not necessary for quick escape.

There were several FF's on the roof. However that pic is just a moment in time the ladder may have just been positioned and raised after the pic was taken. I would want the ladder raised higher then that if I was on the roof.

There were several FF's on the roof. However that pic is just a moment in time the ladder may have just been positioned and raised after the pic was taken. I would want the ladder raised higher then that if I was on the roof.

I do agree with you. It is hard to tell in a picture whether the ladder was for the window(to vent) or for the roof. My apologies for jumping the gun.

I also agree with your second statement, it does appear the the ladder is crooked and the FF on the left is repositioning the ladder.

Edited by flyboy14295

Relocates

Chappaqua E-146 (Later sent as additional water source on Jay St), Banksville E-158, Pleasantville E-261 ( I thinK) in Katonah

Thornwood TL-1 in Bedford Hills

***Pleasantville Engine 260***

Apparently C&O determined the cause of the fire was a faulty washing machine...

http://www.lohud.com/article/20100126/NEWS02/1260365/Washing-machine-faulted-in-fire-that-destroys-Deer-Park-Tavern

I am curious to know how water supply operations turn out. Bedfords supply engine was dispatched about 1.5 hours after initial dispatch...was a second of third fill sit created? Any one have the details of water supply operations and fill sites at this fire, there are lot of standing bodies in that general area, which ones were utilized?

Edited by bvfdjc316

Bedford was for a 2nd site. One of the assigned tankers also reportedly had mechanical problems and was replaced.

***Pleasantville Engine 260***

Thank you, i stand corrected