Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M' Ave

FDNY: New 75' TL's Bgin to Arrive

22 posts in this topic

The first of the most recent 75' TL order has arrived, assigned to Bureau of Training.

Tried to link photos, but I couldn't. Sorry. The cab is the same as the new Engines.

I wanna seeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thomas

These are Seagrave manufactured correct? Is this using the Aerialscope II technology or something different?

They are seagraves and the front end looks JUST like the recent engines. It is the same Aereialscope that's been used on the last few orders.

Found these pics of the new TL's on nassaufdrant.com

post-5767-126496158863.jpg

post-5767-126496160613.jpg

post-5767-126496162663.jpg

Edited by Firediver

Anyone know what companies the new tower ladders will be assigned to?

Edited by rfdu39

Very Nice! I like how the older TL trucks had the bigger front bumper with the outriggers on it, not a big fan of the small bumper on the new ones.

Very Nice! I like how the older TL trucks had the bigger front bumper with the outriggers on it, not a big fan of the small bumper on the new ones.

And why are you not a fan? 'Cause you don't like the way it looks? I think you need to have a better reason than that. From a practical standpoint, that rig is HUGE for NYC streets and the shorter it is, the better it is to operate. With a long bumper having no operational value, they order a short one and hope to hit less stuff.

General FYI: TL's have "Jacks" on the front bumper and rear quarters. "Outriggers" are the mid-mounted stabilizers.

16fire5 and FFLieu like this

Anyone know what companies the new tower ladders will be assigned to?

Figure 46,138,142,and 124 right off the bat.

M' Ave and JBJ1202 like this

TL's have "Jacks" on the front bumper and rear quarters. "Outriggers" are the mid-mounted stabilizers

M'ave - I am not a truck guys, so clueless is my middle name here, these " Jacks " are the power operated ? and do they have the strength to lift the ladder ?

M'ave - I am not a truck guys, so clueless is my middle name here, these " Jacks " are the power operated ? and do they have the strength to lift the ladder ?

Tower Ladders or specifically Aerialscopes, are designed to be lifted off of the wheels completely. All 6 TL stabilizers are Hydraulic. The front and rear go straight down and lift up. The mid-mounted outriggers lift as well as supply latitudinal stability.

How about 107, didn't they have a problem with their's :o

Figure 46,138,142,and 124 right off the bat.

also firgure 23 truck and 22 truck....word is 23 truck has the oldest tl on the job

And why are you not a fan? 'Cause you don't like the way it looks? I think you need to have a better reason than that. From a practical standpoint, that rig is HUGE for NYC streets and the shorter it is, the better it is to operate. With a long bumper having no operational value, they order a short one and hope to hit less stuff.

General FYI: TL's have "Jacks" on the front bumper and rear quarters. "Outriggers" are the mid-mounted stabilizers.

I just said im not a big fan of the small front bumper, never said I didnt like the truck itself, just like the old bumpers better so just chill out. And my bad on the whole Outrigger thing, wasnt exaclty sure what they were specifically called.

From what I have been told L-138 and L-46 will receive the first 2 TL's when they start coming in, about 2 a month as per shop guys. L-46 has ST9703 as their regular rig now and it is in need of replacement, L-138 is 9702 i think.

M' Ave likes this

well i see a cord reel on the side of the boom so i guess there was some truth to the rumor that they rejected an Aerialscope II because of the new track going up the side. anyone else know anything about that?

The 1st unit was rejected due to Cat tails and the greaseless boom. FDNY wants greaseable boom sections and didnt like the way the tails retracted, they could get snared on wires branches light poles etc. The new rigs seem to have 2 reels one on each side of the boom, the orange one pictured is new and in other photos you see the usual reel on the boom.

The 1st unit was rejected due to Cat tails and the greaseless boom. FDNY wants greaseable boom sections and didnt like the way the tails retracted, they could get snared on wires branches light poles etc. The new rigs seem to have 2 reels one on each side of the boom, the orange one pictured is new and in other photos you see the usual reel on the boom.

Lt, this first was rejected and thats why it went to DOT? Over on another site they said the same thing but the shop said ok with this one only? It is not clear if this one is OK and the rest will be changed. Any clarification on this? Also I heard same guy talk about the cables controls? was to the effect of losing controls lose ALL boom control (no emergency controls)? I am in no way shape or form familiar with Aerialscopes. Thanks LT

The first unit is on seagrave website as a demo for sale. The unit that we have seen in pictures has been accepted by FDNY with the changes mentioned. With this unit accepted the order will now move with the 2 per month coming in. until contract is done. The cable control issue was with the catails on demo, the new unit has 2 reels one on each side of boom that are used for wiring needed to operate controls and other features of basket. Older towers have 1 reel but with the improvements to design i assume they needed more wires and power to bucket. Hope this helps, also remember the firefighter on the pedestal can always take control of boom/bucket operation via foot pedal at base of unit.

M' Ave likes this

The first unit is on seagrave website as a demo for sale. The unit that we have seen in pictures has been accepted by FDNY with the changes mentioned. With this unit accepted the order will now move with the 2 per month coming in. until contract is done. The cable control issue was with the catails on demo, the new unit has 2 reels one on each side of boom that are used for wiring needed to operate controls and other features of basket. Older towers have 1 reel but with the improvements to design i assume they needed more wires and power to bucket. Hope this helps, also remember the firefighter on the pedestal can always take control of boom/bucket operation via foot pedal at base of unit.

Any insight into the use of the raised roof with the MM? It seems you guys have lost a bit of operational envelope using this cab, the box on top and the scene lights?