Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GoDucks23

Intercounty Mutual Aid - how far is too far?

58 posts in this topic

Can someone explain to me why Hughsonville would be the second due fast team to Highland? What about City Of Pok, Fairview, Arlington, New Hamburgh or even Kingston could be there in 10 minutes with a quick trip down the thruway. I understand Marlboro is the first due and if they are not available Hughsonville is next? That is absolutey ridiculous, I understand the whole concept of not taking away all resources from the airway but isnt the Fast Team a very important team that is needed at the scene. I am sure that if you took one of the other teams that is much closer it would not have hurt the areas. I could be wrong about this but it just seems to me that having a department come from 20 minutes away is a little bit much. Just my opinion and I could be way off base but maybe someone can explain. And before anyone gets all pissed I am not bad mouthing Hughsonville by anymeans. They were called and they responded and they are just doing what they were asked to do.

New Hamburgh and Arlington do not have FAST Teams, Fairview is one Station and City of poughkeepsie would need major back up to cover thier station that gets stripped. Also Hughsonville is right near Rt. 9 so it will take 15-20 min to get thier and I believe it was a ack up FAST Team not the primary, I could be wrong. City Of Poughkeepsie uses Highland FAST Team Over Fairview sometimes, because Fairview is operating as a back up engine or ladder. Its the same with City of Beacon useing Pleasent Valley Tanker this weekend East Fishkill and Glenham are way closer. Dont wanna strip your fellow departments.

Thomas

New Hamburgh and Arlington do not have FAST Teams, Fairview is one Station and City of poughkeepsie would need major back up to cover thier station that gets stripped. Also Hughsonville is right near Rt. 9 so it will take 15-20 min to get thier and I believe it was a ack up FAST Team not the primary, I could be wrong. City Of Poughkeepsie uses Highland FAST Team Over Fairview sometimes, because Fairview is operating as a back up engine or ladder. Its the same with City of Beacon useing Pleasent Valley Tanker this weekend East Fishkill and Glenham are way closer. Dont wanna strip your fellow departments.

Thomas

You may want to check your information as most of it is wrong.

Well then can you correct what is wrong because that is what I know. Not saying I know all, but thats what I have been told.

Thomas

COP uses Fairview almost exclusively but that may change in the near future. Arlington and New Hamburg both have FAST teams. We use Pleasant Valley as primary in the north end with COP and New Hamburg as backups. We use New Hamburg as primary in the south end with COP and PV as backups. We are normally called if Fairview goes to work in COP. I have only heard Highland with apparatus to Clover Street on a 3rd alarm for COP. Don't recall them being called for FAST (not saying they were not).

As far as Hughsonville going to Highland, who knows, they might have been specified or managed because of the incident load at the time.

Ok Thank You I didnt realize Arlington and New Hamburgh had FAST Teams Thank You for clearing that up I stand corrected.

Thomas

Thomas

Tommy- Beacon called Pleasant Valley? For a tanker????????? Ouch. Check the facts, that doesn't sound right on so many levels.

Seriouslly thats what I said you and me could have taken 39-33, just would have had to wait on the apron for me.

Thomas

ok due to that marlboro is the 2ed in fast team to highland and milton is first milton had a house fire at the same time and marlboro was at that fire also plattakill had a fire at the same time so now you have 3 big fires going on tying up all dept. in the area and if a 4th were to come in im sure companys like the c.o.p and arlington would be going to it was set up awhile ago for hughsonville to go to highland if the first 2 are put to work in this case neather one was able to go and from what im told there was already a differnt fast team there and got put to work and really if you wana know a true answer we can all write what we think what we here and now but if it eans that much call highland hose company and ask for the chief car 31 and ask him and if he wonts to tell you y im sure he will or does it really matter r we going to lose sleep over what truck goes where what fast team goes to who if it means that much to the people call and ask the chief

Easy on the sarcasm bro. I was simply asking a question.

You may want to check your information as most of it is wrong.

Thaanks for that input. My jaw dropped on that post

ok due to that marlboro is the 2ed in fast team to highland and milton is first milton had a house fire at the same time and marlboro was at that fire also plattakill had a fire at the same time so now you have 3 big fires going on tying up all dept. in the area and if a 4th were to come in im sure companys like the c.o.p and arlington would be going to it was set up awhile ago for hughsonville to go to highland if the first 2 are put to work in this case neather one was able to go and from what im told there was already a differnt fast team there and got put to work and really if you wana know a true answer we can all write what we think what we here and now but if it eans that much call highland hose company and ask for the chief car 31 and ask him and if he wonts to tell you y im sure he will or does it really matter r we going to lose sleep over what truck goes where what fast team goes to who if it means that much to the people call and ask the chief

Milton Fire was first. They called marlboro with a engine, highland fast team, engine and tanker, clintondale with tanker. while that fire was going on highland got called to a worker. now marlboro is highlands fast team. they were already in milton. that is why hughsonville was called. highland PREPLANED it that way in case of a situation like that. and then plattikill gets a worker that marlboro is also fast team for. now note Milton and highland use the same mutual aid companies most of the time. now when both get a worker at the same time other companies need to get called in.

Patch6713 likes this

Tommy- Beacon called Pleasant Valley? For a tanker????????? Ouch. Check the facts, that doesn't sound right on so many levels.

Beacon had Pleasant Valley on standby during the major incidents of multiple collapses over this past storm. I am unsure if it was related at all to lack of water from the mains due to an interruption, or more for just the guaranteed presence of a finite amount of water, hopefully someone from the Southern end can clarify.

I personally did not know about New Hamburg having a FAST, but it comes down to who deems who to have an official recognized FASTeam (at least specific to Dutchess Co.)? I have heard Arlington having been dispatched with their FAST to the City of Pok on several occasions, although it is usually a 2nd due FAST after Fairview, unless there are multiple 2nd+ Alarm assignments going on in the City.

If an IC requests a FASTeam (in Dutchess), DC911 will dispatch what, in their CAD, is considered a FAST, unless a specifically requested department is requested with their "FASTeam".

So again, it comes down to, if an IC requests a "FAST", and they know that the ones they plan on calling wouldn't be the one dispatched by 911, they specifically request whoever they want. Going back to my original question, what is it they lack that they are not in the CAD as an 'official' FASTeam?

Besides, it would be funny to think/assume that a career/combination department wouldn't have a FAST (or enough people trained to supply an adequately staffed/trained one).

Milton Fire was first. They called marlboro with a engine, highland fast team, engine and tanker, clintondale with tanker. while that fire was going on highland got called to a worker. now marlboro is highlands fast team. they were already in milton. that is why hughsonville was called. highland PREPLANED it that way in case of a situation like that. and then plattikill gets a worker that marlboro is also fast team for. now note Milton and highland use the same mutual aid companies most of the time. now when both get a worker at the same time other companies need to get called in.

Also, keep in mind that a FASTeam is not required (at least by name) by any regulation or standard out there. OSHA 1910.134 (Respiratory Protection Standard) requires such that:

1910.134(g)(3)

Procedures for IDLH atmospheres. For all IDLH atmospheres, the employer shall ensure that:

1910.134(g)(3)(i)

One employee or, when needed, more than one employee is located outside the IDLH atmosphere;

1910.134(g)(3)(ii)

Visual, voice, or signal line communication is maintained between the employee(s) in the IDLH atmosphere and the employee(s) located outside the IDLH atmosphere;

1910.134(g)(3)(iii)

The employee(s) located outside the IDLH atmosphere are trained and equipped to provide effective emergency rescue;

1910.134(g)(4)

Procedures for interior structural firefighting. In addition to the requirements set forth under paragraph (g)(3), in interior structural fires, the employer shall ensure that:

1910.134(g)(4)(i)

At least two employees enter the IDLH atmosphere and remain in visual or voice contact with one another at all times;

1910.134(g)(4)(ii)

At least two employees are located outside the IDLH atmosphere; and

1910.134(g)(4)(iii)

All employees engaged in interior structural firefighting use SCBAs.

Note 1 to paragraph (g): One of the two individuals located outside the IDLH atmosphere may be assigned to an additional role, such as incident commander in charge of the emergency or safety officer, so long as this individual is able to perform assistance or rescue activities without jeopardizing the safety or health of any firefighter working at the incident.

Source: http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=12716&p_table=standards

So therefore, by name, a 'FASTeam', or 'RIT', or whatever name you refer to it by, is not required (again, being referred to as anything in particular), so long as AT LEAST 2 members are staffed outside an IDLH (atmosphere that is Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health) for any rescue effort. This team can be from the same department as the interior team, or from 2 counties away (yes, I obviously know how ridiculous that seems [and is], it is just an example), but so long as they are trained, and equipped, and prepared properly, that is what matters (as far as legalities go).

The other way to look at it (referring to a previous thread '4 in 4 or 20 in 10?' [at least the concept]), would you rather have 2 available in 5 minutes, or wait the 20+ minutes for a dedicated team????

Just some food for though....

citystation1848 likes this

A. Did they get there?

B. Did they serve the purpose that they were called for?

C. Did they have adequate manpower/ equipment?

D. Was there untoward effect (loss of life/ increased risk) secondary to their delayed response under extreme circumstances (ie. 3 extra alarm fires in the same Battalion)?

E. Did that response/ utilization of resources/ specific department preplan save or spend manpower from a department that otherwise dedicates limited manpower to high volume areas?

F. Would it be different if it was 1100 hrs on a weekday?

These are questions that when answered will lead to a productive conversation, otherwise there is a lot of scanner listening - armchair quarterbacking in this discussion which seems to be an increasing trend in this forum. This is extremely counterproductive,leads to overall misinformation, and threads being locked.

Albeit there are a few with tride and true fireground experience speaking of this call, most partaking in this thread (including myself and 90% of the membership here on EMTBravo) have somewhat limited fireground experience (just from age and profile information) in comparison to the scopes of decision making that is required in such unique situations (ie. practical preplans for multiple extra alarm fires in the same area with limited manpower/ resources and water supply coordination for a hydranted city during a state of emergency that essentially puts all of your hydrants out of service). Perhaps before we break out the "jump to conclusion mats" we could base our $h!t talking on some valid information. Perhaps "senior members", UC 911/ DC 911 Dispatchers, Emergency Management professionals, or a Chief of an involved Department would care to elaborate prior to this becoming a "blue light argument".

efdcapt115 and Patch6713 like this

Beacon had Pleasant Valley on standby during the major incidents of multiple collapses over this past storm. I am unsure if it was related at all to lack of water from the mains due to an interruption, or more for just the guaranteed presence of a finite amount of water, hopefully someone from the Southern end can clarify.

I personally did not know about New Hamburg having a FAST, but it comes down to who deems who to have an official recognized FASTeam (at least specific to Dutchess Co.)? I have heard Arlington having been dispatched with their FAST to the City of Pok on several occasions, although it is usually a 2nd due FAST after Fairview, unless there are multiple 2nd+ Alarm assignments going on in the City.

If an IC requests a FASTeam (in Dutchess), DC911 will dispatch what, in their CAD, is considered a FAST, unless a specifically requested department is requested with their "FASTeam".

So again, it comes down to, if an IC requests a "FAST", and they know that the ones they plan on calling wouldn't be the one dispatched by 911, they specifically request whoever they want. Going back to my original question, what is it they lack that they are not in the CAD as an 'official' FASTeam?

Besides, it would be funny to think/assume that a career/combination department wouldn't have a FAST (or enough people trained to supply an adequately staffed/trained one).

Also, keep in mind that a FASTeam is not required (at least by name) by any regulation or standard out there. OSHA 1910.134 (Respiratory Protection Standard) requires such that:

Source: http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=12716&p_table=standards

So therefore, by name, a 'FASTeam', or 'RIT', or whatever name you refer to it by, is not required (again, being referred to as anything in particular), so long as AT LEAST 2 members are staffed outside an IDLH (atmosphere that is Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health) for any rescue effort. This team can be from the same department as the interior team, or from 2 counties away (yes, I obviously know how ridiculous that seems [and is], it is just an example), but so long as they are trained, and equipped, and prepared properly, that is what matters (as far as legalities go).

The other way to look at it (referring to a previous thread '4 in 4 or 20 in 10?' [at least the concept]), would you rather have 2 available in 5 minutes, or wait the 20+ minutes for a dedicated team????

Just some food for though....

Regarding your comments about the technical terminology of the OSHA Standard, and your legal interpretation of same; you are putting forth one of the most regressive arguements I've seen in quite some time. Are you quite sure that your legal knowledge is correct? You seem to have left out a few very key words in your deconstruction of the Standard; "provide EFFECTIVE EMERGENCY RESCUE." Do you understand how much weight those simple four words legally carry?

I'll tell you who does, FEMA for starters. They granted millions of dollars in AFG awards based on the proper application of the Standard you quoted. I've alluded to the fact that my job was a recipient of said AFG award. I will tell you, in the narrative, the term RIT or RIC (Rapid Intervention Crew is one which consists of fewer than four members) was used numerous times in justifying our need to be able to effectively perform the intent of 1910.134. FEMA agreed. I'm sure PESH would agree. I'm sure a judge would agree.

Many in the fire service have fought extremely hard to make this Standard just that; a Standard.

Please don't start telling all these members that there really is no "technical" requirement for FAST or RIT.

To all the younger guys that interpret your comments that there are technicalities, and ways to wiggle around with 1910.134, follow the progressive line of thought here fellas. FAST/RIT is one of the best improvements we have been able to establish in our lifetimes regarding firefighter safety. An IC that disregards the INTENT of the Standard, and trust me an attorney would be better able to explain the ramifications of the Standard in a lawsuit against a negligent IC; exposes him/herself to major liability. Aside from the catastrophy that might occur.

Stay progressive in your thoughts and actions out there guys. Please, for your own safety.

Edit: for unnecessary harshness.

Edited by efdcapt115
Turborich, calhobs and helicopper like this

You guys might wanna check out the new nfpa 2010 edition. 1407 - Standard for training fire service rapid intervention crews.

I have, in reading this thread, identified what I consider to be a serious problem. It seems that in the Dutchess County area there is an awful lot of misinformation regarding FAST (RIT, MAI, RIC). The basics of the requirements for FAST have to be known from top to bottom (Chief to proby) in every FD. When you pull up to a job, a FAST Plan has to be established, to follow the 2 in 2 out requirement. You are not following the rule if your plan is something like "8 in 1 out and call for a qualified FAST team who will take 20 minutes to get there.

I see too many problems in this thread to be corrected by a few paragraphs by well knowledged people in this thread. It will require some formal training for most of the Depts whose people posted in this thread. The best advice I can give you is this; If you posted in thiis thread or your dept is mentioned in this thread, your Dept may have some serious problems with FAST requirement. Note that I said MAY. I sugggest you get in touch with OFPC,State Chiefs or Dave Walsh of Dutchess CC. Show them this thread. I'm sure they can come up with something to get you squared away.

I saw that efdcapt115 edited his post because of unnecessary harshness. Sorry you did that, Cap. This thread calls for a littlle roughing the kicker and piling on.

helicopper and efdcapt115 like this

Regarding your comments about the technical terminology of the OSHA Standard, and your legal interpretation of same; you are putting forth one of the most regressive arguements I've seen in quite some time. Are you quite sure that your legal knowledge is correct? You seem to have left out a few very key words in your deconstruction of the Standard; "provide EFFECTIVE EMERGENCY RESCUE." Do you understand how much weight those simple four words legally carry?

I'll tell you who does, FEMA for starters. They granted millions of dollars in AFG awards based on the proper application of the Standard you quoted. I've alluded to the fact that my job was a recipient of said AFG award. I will tell you, in the narrative, the term RIT or RIC (Rapid Intervention Crew is one which consists of fewer than four members) was used numerous times in justifying our need to be able to effectively perform the intent of 1910.134. FEMA agreed. I'm sure PESH would agree. I'm sure a judge would agree.

Many in the fire service have fought extremely hard to make this Standard just that; a Standard.

Please don't start telling all these members that there really is no "technical" requirement for FAST or RIT.

To all the younger guys that interpret your comments that there are technicalities, and ways to wiggle around with 1910.134, follow the progressive line of thought here fellas. FAST/RIT is one of the best improvements we have been able to establish in our lifetimes regarding firefighter safety. An IC that disregards the INTENT of the Standard, and trust me an attorney would be better able to explain the ramifications of the Standard in a lawsuit against a negligent IC; exposes him/herself to major liability. Aside from the catastrophy that might occur.

Stay progressive in your thoughts and actions out there guys. Please, for your own safety.

Edit: for unnecessary harshness.

I never once said/implied/intended for people to feel that ONLY 2 people were needed to staff the "2 Out" positions. That is the bare minimum that is required, and, is what is the minimum required to conduct the interior structural firefighting operations. Until an established "Team" can be supplied, those 2 spots have to be filled. My point being that, although a delay in getting a full dedicated "team" of greater manpower to be a RIT or FAST, you still need those "2 Out" to be staffed, and, they can come from anywhere (including members of the initial department).

I fully believe in the FAST/RIT usage, I was merely trying to relate that in Dutchess County (specifically), what constitutes, in their CAD, who has a FAST, and who, when specially called by a department, with send their "FASTeam???

Also, I never said there is "no technical requirement for a FAST/RIT", it just doesn't use those terms by name, but again, I DO believe in their usage (and used to be a member of a dedicated, County recognized one in my previous FD).

I think you misinterpreted my line of thinking, and my intent was not as clearly expressed as I had thought/intended it to be. I guess I won't be posting @ 0100hrs anymore...

EFD Capt was right pre-edit. I notice the use of "county recognized" FAST. Can anyone post the Dutchess County standard for what makes up a FAST? Does a standard exist? Does every FAST that's in the DC911 CAD have the same manning, equipment and training?

Back to the original poster, I don't know why anyone would jump on a guy who was simply asking why a department 20 miles, one county and a bridge away would be called as a FAST. That's a fair question. If there is a logical answer for it, provide it to him, end of story. In this case there is; the Chief of Highland did his research and decided that Hughsonville would be the best option for his members, which are HIS responsibility.

jayhalsey likes this

I was on the Marlboro engine, E-38-10. Marlboro was called for an engine, initally to stand by at Milton, but then was upgraded enroute to the scene. At Milton's scene after we had been there awhile, we got called to the scene of Highland's fire, as an engine. At no point was Marlboro a FAST team for either Milton or Highland last night. Thats what the IC's called for, and thats what we came with. Also, we were NOT called to Plattekill's fire in any capacity due to Marlboro units operating both in and out of our district.

In the past, we have gone to all 3 districts as both engine and FAST team (and not at the same time).

Edited by 38ff

First off let me start by saying that this post is by no means trying to discredit other departments or their procedures/policies. As it will be explained we arrived to our decisons based off of research. I am an Asst. Chief/member of the Highland Fire District. I am going to try and set the record straight in regards to the decisions that were made in last nights multiple structure fire incidents and in future incidents to come. As most of you are aware while Milton's Structure fire was wrapping up, we were dispatched to a poss. chimney fire on pretty much the farthest end of our district. New Paltz was dispatched with an engine on the inital dispatch. Upon arriving the 2nd alarm assignment was requested. That would normally bring an engine and manpower from one of our surrounding depts.Being that Marlboro was standing by at Milton's headquarters, Car 31 requested that they be dispatched to our location with their engine and manpower. Now normally we would have Marlboro's FAST Team dispatched on that assignment, but the fact that we were utilizing them for another assignment, it was decided to dispatch our backup FAST Team Hughsonville. Now the question is why Hughsonville? And the answer to that is .... their overall FAST Operation is in many ways the same. They require their members to attend and stay current with training, they have a set of FAST SOP's (some departments that we looked at did not), they will not respond if certain criteria is not met... (ie. at least 4 members on the truck before it responds)... you know pretty much not going to do a job that is asked of you with JUST THE MINIMUM. Yeah it may take the in excess of 20 minutes.... and for the record it was a 17 minute response for last nights incident. And I will say one thing for the first time being used it went very well. They did what you would expect from a FAST Team and then some. The decsion to utilize them took MONTHS not hours or days like I am sure that most of you are thinking or believing, but MONTHS.

If anyone has any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Thanks again to ALL of the Mutual Aid Companies that assisted at last nights incident. You assistance was GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!

First off let me start by saying that this post is by no means trying to discredit other departments or their procedures/policies. As it will be explained we arrived to our decisons based off of research. I am an Asst. Chief/member of the Highland Fire District. I am going to try and set the record straight in regards to the decisions that were made in last nights multiple structure fire incidents and in future incidents to come. As most of you are aware while Milton's Structure fire was wrapping up, we were dispatched to a poss. chimney fire on pretty much the farthest end of our district. New Paltz was dispatched with an engine on the inital dispatch. Upon arriving the 2nd alarm assignment was requested. That would normally bring an engine and manpower from one of our surrounding depts.Being that Marlboro was standing by at Milton's headquarters, Car 31 requested that they be dispatched to our location with their engine and manpower. Now normally we would have Marlboro's FAST Team dispatched on that assignment, but the fact that we were utilizing them for another assignment, it was decided to dispatch our backup FAST Team Hughsonville. Now the question is why Hughsonville? And the answer to that is .... their overall FAST Operation is in many ways the same. They require their members to attend and stay current with training, they have a set of FAST SOP's (some departments that we looked at did not), they will not respond if certain criteria is not met... (ie. at least 4 members on the truck before it responds)... you know pretty much not going to do a job that is asked of you with JUST THE MINIMUM. Yeah it may take the in excess of 20 minutes.... and for the record it was a 17 minute response for last nights incident. And I will say one thing for the first time being used it went very well. They did what you would expect from a FAST Team and then some. The decsion to utilize them took MONTHS not hours or days like I am sure that most of you are thinking or believing, but MONTHS.

Thanks again to ALL of the Mutual Aid Companies that assisted at last nights incident. You assistance was GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!

Very well said!

fireguy140 likes this

This is one of the things that makes this site interesting and useful. Thank you, Chief, for taking the time to answer when clearly you didn't have to.

It also speaks volumes about knowing what you're getting and not assuming! Caveat Emptor! Is the resource you're requesting going to be able to do the job you want it to or isn't it?

Kudos to you and your department for using the right resources for the right job!

efdcapt115 likes this

Pleasent Valley was in the City of Beacon due to the fact that Hydrants were inaccessible. The surrounding Dept's in the Town's of Fishkill, and Wappingers were basically in the same situation.

An amazing attempt at conserving punctuation marks....

My apologies Tom, you were correct. There's an interesting conversation.... not saying it was the wrong call, but I would like to hear the rationale for going so far afield. Tankers with a at least a couple thousand gallons in Glenham, Hughsonville, East Fishkill, etc.. Did BFD consciously think about where the heavy snow line was and go beyond it? Again, not questioning the decision, just fascinated as to what the thought process was. Anyone from Beacon care to explain?

AND..... what were they thinking in PV when they got called to the big city :o

My apologies Tom, you were correct. There's an interesting conversation.... not saying it was the wrong call, but I would like to hear the rationale for going so far afield. Tankers with a at least a couple thousand gallons in Glenham, Hughsonville, East Fishkill, etc.. Did BFD consciously think about where the heavy snow line was and go beyond it? Again, not questioning the decision, just fascinated as to what the thought process was. Anyone from Beacon care to explain?

Beacon is the big city? :lol:

But seriously that is a long trip from PV down to Beacon

Well this gave me quit the laugh when reading all responses to this I think if everyone was in same room I think it would have been a brawl lol I think it was a good job by highland on the decision making well planed. Just wanted to also comment on th pv tanker going to beacon they new they might need water and called a. Truck from a department that wasn't getting there a** kicked with storm calls good decision glenham east fiskill in that are were just running from call to call and no manpower or I would say the energy to keep up with it all so for one of those dept to go with a tanker to beacon for a fire might not have happened with all that was going on

There were multiple prolonged water system failures in southern Dutchess from late Thursday into late Friday. Many of the effected water districts are coterminus with Fire Districts that don't have tankers (Rombout, Village of Fishkill, City of Beacon). I believe the rationale behind Beacons request for Pleasant Valley's tanker was to keep the local tankers available for the potential adverse effects of all those alternative, non-electric light and heat sources being deployed in homes without water.

xfirefighter484x likes this

Did you not understand that Southern Dutchess County was getting hammered during the storm? There was a thought process that included officials from Beacon, and Dutchess County 911. It worked well!