Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Fire Apparatus Journal March-April 2010 Edition

6 posts in this topic

As usual, the March-April edition of Of Fire Apparatus Journal was awesome.

Joe Pinto's much anticpated Westchester County Updates column and photos were excellent, I just wish they would give him more space! Photos of Yorktown's new Dive Rescue 55, Mount Vernon's s "new" ladder, and Pelham Manor's newly rechasised and refurbed Tower Ladder 2 were included. Also mentioned was Yonkers FD's new fireboat, which I hope to see in the fireboat column. It is a 27 foot Vigilant Boston Whaler with a remote control Akron nozzle on the bow, twin 250HP Mercury Verdados motors, 800 GPM Darley fire pump system, FLIR radar, GPS, Chartplotter, and a diver rescue door. I didn't even realize, or forgot, they

Also, there was an excellent profile with photos-the Maxim snorkel even made the front cover top shot-of Chesire, CT FD. The article was very informatiive and the photos great. They have a very well thought out department with very well cared for progressive almost all Pierce fleet. I just wish I could see the Chevron striping on the back of the cab of their newest engine. This author and photographer of this article was Matthew Palmer, and I hope to see more profiles from around CT in the future-maybe even a CT column in the "Updates" section. I also hope he finds a god home for Truck 1 when it is retired! (Maybe he will drive it to Texas for me?)

And, as always, there were tons of beautiful in color photos from some of the top apparatus photographers in the world. This magazine is a "labor of love" run by FDNY Battalion Chief John Calderone.

A sad thing I noticed, Marilyn from Marylin and Gil's Fire shop in Catskilll, NY have stopped advertising. I had heard on another forum she had a stroke, but I haven't heard further. She was always a friendly person to deal with at the many firematic events where she was one of the original "buff stores", carrying an impressive inventory of fire service diecast and books.

You can find Fire Apparatus Journal usually at certain Borders Books and select newstands nationwide, or order a copy from http://www.fire-police-ems.com Or, better yet you can subscribe online at http://www.fireapparatusjournal.com

Seth, I just happen to have of couple of pictures of the Cheshire Engine from last years New England Fire Chief's Expo.

post-27-126783646019.jpg

post-27-126783648533.jpg

Side view

post-27-126783668388.jpg

Top view with the diamond plate hose bed cover (note the rear of the cab, same as first picture above)

post-27-126783670762.jpg

Rear chevrons on rig and hosebed cover

A sad thing I noticed, Marilyn from Marylin and Gil's Fire shop in Catskilll, NY have stopped advertising. I had heard on another forum she had a stroke, but I haven't heard further. She was always a friendly person to deal with at the many firematic events where she was one of the original "buff stores", carrying an impressive inventory of fire service diecast and books.

I had read on another forum (and relayed the info to yet another) that Marilyn was being treated for Alzheimers. Had not heard about the stroke. Truly a shame, if indeed that is true. She's a great lady, and an asset to the die-cast collecting hobby.

That Cheshire engine is nice looking. Unique touches there with the chevrons not only on the hose bed cover, but the back of the cab as well. Never seen that before.

I miss FAJ. Had to let my sub lapse due to my personal situation. Hopefully things turn around soon and I can get it back and see what I've been missing.

Seth:

Thanks for the support for the CFD article. As an avid Pierce fan, it was a nice article to write and an excellent fleet to share with others.

From what I was told, the rear cab chevrons were a first of a kind for Pierce. The Truck Committee was tired of the issues with tread plate and wanted to do something different. Their entire fleet was in the process of having all rigs outfitted with front and rear chevrons and rear chevron hose covers, so the chevrons on the cab fit in nicely.

I have heard criticism that it is "too much chevroning", but if you were to see the rig placed as to be used for traffic blocking, you would easily see the value of the added rear cab wall chevrons. Not sure if Pierce has done any others, but I would not be surprised to see similar examples at upcoming shows.

The Snorkel shown on the cover is in as good condition as the picture portrays it. It is first-due for the southern end of town and will probably be around for a few more years. In light of recent economic issues and from the tone of the Town Boards, replacement money may be some time from now.

I have my eye on a few other article ideas, but not sure if this will become a regular thing?

...and Pelham Manor's newly rechasised and refurbed Tower Ladder 2 were included.

I think you mean Tower Ladder 3.

I miss FAJ. Had to let my sub lapse due to my personal situation. Hopefully things turn around soon and I can get it back and see what I've been missing.

Andy,

Sometimes the full service Borders Bookstores if you have one carries FAJ in their magazine section, usually with the special interest transportaion magazines like Airlines if there is one near you. Usually $4.25 plus tax. You can also special order it and if you pick it up at the store no fee for shipping. And you can request through the manager that they carry it.

I think you mean Tower Ladder 3.

Yeah, that's the one-lol.