Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

Fire Chief's Emergency Plan - August 15, 1941

5 posts in this topic

Protection from the Past - The Beginings of the Westchester County M/A plan - Apparatus & Equiptment List August 15 ,1941

Special Thanks to Beachbum

post-23-126845188408.jpg

post-23-126845229968.jpg

post-23-126845259537.jpg

When I first started working at 60-Control back in 1983 the Mutual Aid plan book from the Fire Chiefs Emergency Plan was still laying around. Written in the 40's the plan which had alot to do with the Civil Defense plan in the event of an attack of NYC was interesting to read. Amazingly almost 60 yrs later the plan was kind of activated for 911. My grandfather was involved back then when there was no county dispatch center, I believe it was out Westchester Co. Police and was not manned 24/7.

Haha, Acetelyne torches and grappling hooks, I love it.

Now the REAL question is, does any such list STILL exist today?

When I first started working at 60-Control back in 1983 the Mutual Aid plan book from the Fire Chiefs Emergency Plan was still laying around. Written in the 40's the plan which had alot to do with the Civil Defense plan in the event of an attack of NYC was interesting to read. Amazingly almost 60 yrs later the plan was kind of activated for 911. My grandfather was involved back then when there was no county dispatch center, I believe it was out Westchester Co. Police and was not manned 24/7.

You're right Hudson. I remember reading that book too.

Back in the mid '70's when I worked as a dispatcher for the old Parkway Police, County Fire Contol occupied the same office as the police communications supervisor. It was adjacent to the teletype room.

When the phone rang (949-8883/4) or KED-281 was called by radio (there was a speaker on the wall above the teletype), you would run into the room and handle the call.

There was also an apparatus status board on the wall with a "tag" for each apparatus in the county. When the tag was turned over, the apparatus was turned over. I believe that remnants of the board exists today at 60 Control.

Tim, those are neat. Note the phone numbers on the third page. Most are three digit phone numbers with Glenville (Grrenburgh Fire District(Tarrytown)) and Goldens Bridge having daytime and nightime phone numbers.