Update - Yonkers 4th Alarm 3-21

15 posts in this topic

Engine 314 called to the fire scene by B2

Ladder 70 to Station 1

Hartsdale Engine 170 to Station 1

Now is a 4th Alarm

Car 2 requests Ladder 70 to 4th Exposure Roof with Hook

Ladder 73 relocating to Station 1

Car 2 Requests Ladder 73 to the fire scene - Also requested to Exposure 4 - Roof with hooks (along with Ladder 70)

Car 2 reporting fire in Cockloft on Exposure 4 at 199 North Broadway, all companies working

Car 4 10-84 on location

Car 2309 to Station 12 Yonkers

Edited by 61MACKBR1

Deja vu?

Yes, same address...the first one was deemed arson.

Date: March 16, 2010

Time: 2244

Location: 199 North Broadway between Lamartine Av and entrance to Cottage Pl Gdns (Google One Click Map Link)

Frequency: 484.7125 etc

Units Operating: Engines: 308, 309, 303, 306, 312; Ladders: 71, 72; Rescue 1, Safety, Battalion 1

Weather Conditions: Fair

Description Of Incident: Working fire originating in bsmt of building

Writer: O-Wind, oilflame

Initial call, taken by yours truly, caller reports fire in the basement of the premise.

2247hrs- E308 with smoke in the area.

2248hrs- E-308 rpts 10-29.

2250hrs- B-1 transmitting 10-30, req. 5th Engine (312), E-306 will be FAST. Safety req. PD.

2254hrs- Relocation to cover station 9: Squad 11 and Tower Ladder 75

2303hrs- B-1 reports fire in the basment main body of fire K/d req coned

Here's a silly question, this fire was less than 4 miles from the NYC/Yonkers border, how come FDNY wasn't requested mutual aid??

Here's a silly question, this fire was less than 4 miles from the NYC/Yonkers border, how come FDNY wasn't requested mutual aid??

I'm sure it has to do with the delay in getting that request approved by the duty chief and FDNY's refusal to provide mutual aid for coverage.

i was onscene with the ambulance 2 mins after the first due engine pulled up. i have nice shots. i just need help how to put them on

It does not appear as though FDNY was needed according to the run down. YFD is the best prepared for this kind of work in the county and it shows each time they go to work. 5 engines 2 trucks rescue and 2 chief officers on the first alarm. That is 36 on scene for the first. No Westchester dept can say they can do that even if they called every company working the tour on the first alarm. The following alarms were covered by YFD also and a couple of mutual aid companies to cover the city while YFD calls back off duty. Unless FDNY wants to sit in the firehouses in Yonkers I don't see the need to call them for this job. Way to go YFD, Doin' the do the Yonkers way.

Edited by lad12derff

Procedure is to call 60 control for our Mutual Aid request. Unless otherwise directed by the Deputy Chief at scene to request Mutual Aid from another source, such as the FDNY. Although it is a bordering location, our first due mutual aid to cover is from other Westchester County agencies. In this case, New Rochelle, Eastchester, Greenville, and Hartsdale. These departments have not only the Countywide Trunked Radio system in their apparatus but also have the YFD Fire Ops frequency and can easily communicate with dispatch. I also don't believe FDNY wants to be called to "cover" until resources/personnel are called back. In this case, as well with the Elliott Ave fire 2 weeks ago, M/A co's covered stations and did not go to work at the scene. Yonkers recalled men and filled reserve/spare apparatus and then relieved the M/A co's. as per procedure.

Thanks again for the fast help from 60 control in getting us M/A. As well, kudos to the men on scene and the D/C for stopping the 4 story next door from being lost. There was a lot of house on North Broadway last night, glad I don't have to roll it up...lol

For Mutual Aid, Yonkers first goes through the County of Westchester Mutual Aid Plan. The County maintains the list of which southern Westchester Municipality provides the first, second etc. Engine, and then for the Ladders. NYC is called after the departments on the list. It's not a slight to NYC, we participate in the County plan for mutual benefit.

Thank you gents, I didn't preceive it as a slight in as much as a question of distance.

we participate in the County plan for mutual benefit.

Chief.....I've been out of the loop for a while. Does Yonkers F.D. still follow the policy of not covering another F.D.'s houses? The last I heard was that YFD only goes to the scene to work (like FDNY).

Chief.....I've been out of the loop for a while. Does Yonkers F.D. still follow the policy of not covering another F.D.'s houses? The last I heard was that YFD only goes to the scene to work (like FDNY).

Our policy is that we will respond on mutual aid to cover another department's houses and we will remain there for at least 30 minutes during which time we expect that the department in question will begin a recall of their off duty members. If they begin a recall we will wait around for however long it takes as long as they are making a legitimate effort to get guys in. If the department we are covering refuses to begin a recall of off duty members we will inform them that we will be leaving. This policy is not hard and fast and we are willing to be flexible depending on the situation. What we have tried to get away from is past practice of us sitting in another departments firehouses for indefinite periods of time. In some cases in the past, our companies had spent whole tours covering another departments houses.

Our policy is that we will respond on mutual aid to cover another department's houses and we will remain there for at least 30 minutes during which time we expect that the department in question will begin a recall of their off duty members. If they begin a recall we will wait around for however long it takes as long as they are making a legitimate effort to get guys in. If the department we are covering refuses to begin a recall of off duty members we will inform them that we will be leaving. This policy is not hard and fast and we are willing to be flexible depending on the situation. What we have tried to get away from is past practice of us sitting in another departments firehouses for indefinite periods of time. In some cases in the past, our companies had spent whole tours covering another departments houses.

Thank you for the info.

How far down the M/A list is Mount Vernon? I know of past problems with FDMV M/A abuse, is it still occurring or has it stopped?

I would think that they would call in Mount Vernon before FDNY.