Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Syracuse FD (NY) Rescue Truck

16 posts in this topic

Here's a "Oldie But Goodie" (Can anyone tell us what make, year and model it is? I believe it might be a Old International Harvester or a Diamond Reo but I can't be too sure)

post-80-126971596824.jpg

post-80-126971682217.jpg

Edited by 61MACKBR1

The rig in the picture is a late 50s or early 60s Seagrave. Not sure about the body.

Picture of the door art is from the International Paystar which likely replaced the Seagrave (or maybe whatever replaced it.....don't know how long the 'Grave served).

The rig in the picture is a late 50s or early 60s Seagrave. Not sure about the body.

Picture of the door art is from the International Paystar which likely replaced the Seagrave (or maybe whatever replaced it.....don't know how long the 'Grave served).

Late 60's Seagrave Anniversary series [note flat fenders on top plus duel headlites] saw service till the Internationl paystar was placed in service

what is the triangle frame for on the front ?? looks lke a tow hitch for a trailer..

what is the triangle frame for on the front ?? looks lke a tow hitch for a trailer..

The triangle on the front is a short A Frame used with the front mounted winch.

This rescue was originally white in color

Howard - Did the City of Syracuse run its citywide Ambulance Service via the Fire Department? Is it still that way? (That ambulance looks like something out of the 1970's Emergency TV Series) - ALSO - It looks like there are two sirens on the Rescue Rig. One on the Front Grill and one around the City Round Flasher above the Front Windsheild. Does anyone know what kind of sirens would be on this rig? [PS - I kinda like the White Color vs. the Yellow Color)

Did the City of Syracuse run its citywide Ambulance Service via the Fire Department? Is it still that way?

Rural Metro is the transport provider which they took over from Eastern Paramedics when they aquired that company in the 1990s. I think the cuse finally came to their senses and went red.

Rural Metro is the transport provider which they took over from Eastern Paramedics when they aquired that company in the 1990s. I think the cuse finally came to their senses and went red.

Yes, they have switched to red. Their new rescue truck is about 4 times the size of that old one too.

The motor type siren "Q" in the nose of the Seagrave Anniversary series was a common installation as were other brands. The one above the windshield was an electronic siren, however I do not know the brand.

IIRC the "Rescue Company" in Syracuse had several different vehicles. A traditional box truck for heavy rescue, a ladder truck who's first duty was to rescue trapped occupants, and the ambulance, used to provide medical aid to firefighters at working fires.

From SR 1's Facebook History page....

The Rescue is rich in history from 1952 to 1958 the Rescue Co. was the primary company to do all work requiring the use of breathing apparatus. In 1962 they recieved a first aid type vehicle to become a 2 piece company. In 1965 the first Heavy Rescue was delivered for Rescue 1 and 1969 or 1970 Rescue 2 was put into service a Chevrolet Ambulance type vehicle. The Rescue Company did not respond to signal 99's (working fires) until February 9, 1961. The Rescue Company is made up of members who are NYS E.M.T'S (Emergency medical Technicians) but also trades such as carpentry, electricians, plumbers, welders and small engine repair. The RESCUE COMPANY today responds to all 1st...... alarms of fire for working structure fires. The RESCUE COMPANY is a multi apparatus Company. Rescue crew is 1 officer and 6 firefighters, divided into (2) 2-man search teams and (1) RIT. RESCUE 1 is a 2004 American LaFrance Heavy Rescue, with a spare heavy rescue 1997 E-ONE. Rescue 2 is Ford Super duty crew cab with a utility box. RESCUE TRUCK is a 1985 EMERGEN...CY ONE 135' Aerial ladder 1 of 7 built by E-One.

I worked in Syracuse for Eastern and Rural/Metro for about 10 years. SFD is a top notch organization.

The Rescue is one of the greatest assets of that department. Seven guys who step off at MVCs and fires ready to go to work. On an MVC, you get handed a fully packaged patient. For fires, they generally responded(while I was there) in Rescue 1 and Rescue 2. The Rescue Truck is a 135' straight stick (only stick in the city) and rolls on certain target hazards and at the Rescue officer's discretion.

They had an ambulance for their Rescue 2 for a number of years. It would respond city wide on cardiac arrests to assist the mini and ambulance (they would usually ride in to the hospital freeing the mini to return to service) and would transport injured firefighters. A few years ago, they switched to a light rescue/pickup and the ambulance got shuffled out to a substation to run as the Mini. From what I understand, two of their "minis" are now ambulances and are used to back up Rural Metro when they have no rigs available. Two firefighters will take the mini, leaving two on the engine.

Syracuse for years ran with a Maxi pumper and a Mini pumper as the engine company. The mini started out as a vehicle to handle nuisance fires, and evolved to doing mostly EMS calls. Somehow, the minis were at one point almost as large as the Maxis. They downsized to the current pickup truck and these are used mostly for EMS calls. I left just as they were starting to integrate these into the running order, so I am not sure what they handle alone other than EMS calls.

A great series of pictures of SFD apparatus are found at cnyfiretrucks.com. Click on Onondaga County then Syracuse.

Edited by STAT213

Syracuse for years ran with a Maxi pumper and a Mini pumper as the engine company. The mini started out as a vehicle to handle nuisance fires, and evolved to doing mostly EMS calls. Somehow, the minis were at one point almost as large as the Maxis. They downsized to the current pickup truck and these are used mostly for EMS calls. I left just as they were starting to integrate these into the running order, so I am not sure what they handle alone other than EMS calls.

I understand the concept to lessen the wear and tear on the large apparatus but the idea that leaving 2 guys back is leaving the engine in service dosen't make sense to me. I think Rochester does something similar but different the company has 6 assigned and when the midi responds with 2 to an EMS run 4 are left back for the quint.

Here are some progression photos (Courtesey of John Kenealy) of the Syracuse FD Rescue Truck (I am not sure if there are any SFD Rescue Trucks in between the SeaGrave (Yellow Version) and this other Ex Rescue 1 (Can anyone identify the make, model and year of this?)

PS - How would the size of the City of Syracuse compare to the City of Yonkers? By the looks of their apparatus fleet, it appears as if they have a much larger front line appparatus pool than the City of Yonkers FD. Interesting to see that it appears that all of their Front Line Engine Companies are actually Quints. Also, what capacity does their "Mini Fleet" take on (outside of the Engine Companies)

I worked in Syracuse for Eastern and Rural/Metro for about 10 years. SFD is a top notch organization.

The Rescue is one of the greatest assets of that department. Seven guys who step off at MVCs and fires ready to go to work. On an MVC, you get handed a fully packaged patient. For fires, they generally responded(while I was there) in Rescue 1 and Rescue 2. The Rescue Truck is a 135' straight stick (only stick in the city) and rolls on certain target hazards and at the Rescue officer's discretion.

They had an ambulance for their Rescue 2 for a number of years. It would respond city wide on cardiac arrests to assist the mini and ambulance (they would usually ride in to the hospital freeing the mini to return to service) and would transport injured firefighters. A few years ago, they switched to a light rescue/pickup and the ambulance got shuffled out to a substation to run as the Mini. From what I understand, two of their "minis" are now ambulances and are used to back up Rural Metro when they have no rigs available. Two firefighters will take the mini, leaving two on the engine.

A great series of pictures of SFD apparatus are found at cnyfiretrucks.com. Click on Onondaga County then Syracuse.

post-80-126980602833.jpg

post-80-126980604309.jpg

post-80-12698060558.jpg

I would be happy to answer any specific questions anyone has concerning the Syracuse Fire Department, its Rescue Company, or apparatus in general.

District Chief David B. Reeves

Superintendent - SFD Division of Maintenance

312 State Fair Boulevard

Syracuse, NY 13204-1139

315-473-3276 Ext. 605

FAX 315-473-2618

reevesd@ci.syracuse.ny.us

PS - How would the size of the City of Syracuse compare to the City of Yonkers? By the looks of their apparatus fleet, it appears as if they have a much larger front line appparatus pool than the City of Yonkers FD. Interesting to see that it appears that all of their Front Line Engine Companies are actually Quints. Also, what capacity does their "Mini Fleet" take on (outside of the Engine Companies)

Yonkers is a bit larger than Syracuse (200,000 vs 150,000), and has a very progressive fire dept (ISO Class 1). SFD runs out of 11 stations (not counting the Airport station). They have 10 2-piece engine companies (mini & engine); 6 truck companies, and a 2-piece heavy rescue co. A Hazmat Company is cross-staffed by an Engine company. The minis respond together with the engine for fire & MVA calls. EMS runs are usually handled by the mini alone (usually with 1 ff/emt). EMS txps are by ALS provider Rural/Metro.