Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Town Of Yorktown New 34-M-1

13 posts in this topic

Town Of Yorktown Advanced Life Support District

New 34-M-1

Operated By Empress EMS (Set up for dual medic use w/ 3 sets of ALS equipment)

2010 Ford Expedition

Photos courtesy Empress EMS:

post-11-127049850088.jpg

Interior lights/siren/radio Console:

post-11-127049859648.jpg

post-11-127049875478.jpg

post-11-127049893893.jpg

Seth, would you or someone from Yorktown mind explaining the multiple sets a bit more? I see that there are multiple Lifepaks and gear sets, so do two medics operate the one fly car, or is it set up so that a fly car will go first and another medic without equipment can meet and also use equipment? If two medics do operate the fly car, does it function where one medic will go ALS if needed and the fly car remains in service? Thanks in advance.

I can't say that I know what operations are out where you are but where I am, there are medic units (fly cars) that carry multiple sets for the purpose of just having extra. Though its rare, if a LifePack fails in the field, the fly car would have an extra just in case one in the field has to be replaced.

Also, say there are two patients that require ALS, the medic now has extra set to perform ALS on the second patient who will be ready for the second incoming ALS rig.

I can't say that I know what operations are out where you are but where I am, there are medic units (fly cars) that carry multiple sets for the purpose of just having extra. Though its rare, if a LifePack fails in the field, the fly car would have an extra just in case one in the field has to be replaced.

Also, say there are two patients that require ALS, the medic now has extra set to perform ALS on the second patient who will be ready for the second incoming ALS rig.

I've seen plenty of times where two medics are assigned to a unit with multiple sets of gear. Once they meet up with the local BLS crew, if it is determined that only one medic is required for transport, the second medic continues to staff the ALS car in the first due until the BLS crew returns from the hospital with the other crew member.

The way I last knew it (and it could have changed by now), Empress runs two medics during the day (7A-7P, 8A-8P, 7P-7A). If there is an ALS call, two medics go. If another ALS call drops, the other medic responds. Also, a lot of Empress medics live in the Yorktown area. If needed, they could be called in, therefore placing a third medic into service. (I believe this is how the ALS district contract designed the system).

These medics cover Yorktown VAC calls, and Mohegan VAC calls that are within the Mohegan part of Yorktown.

The Empress medics assigned to Yorktown have spent a required amount of time in the Yonkers (and formerly Mount Vernon) 911 systems. They are also required to do 1 ALS 911 tour in Yonkers a week to keep their skills up.

Given the size of the district of the 34 Medics, you would think they would use two cars during those double medic shifts. Two calls drop at the same time often, and a Mutual Aid Medic has to be dispatched to cover one of the calls, or there's a delay in getting one of those two Medics. Seems silly to me. It's not a jab at Empress or the Medics themselves, it just seems to be a very large and rather busy area to cover with just one car and two Medics in it.

As for the car itself, looks nice. I still don't understand why people keep getting 3 or 4 radios in their vehicles, but hey, that's a personal choice I guess...

Edited by Remember585

Thanks for all the input guys, I have never heard or seen of a system like that before (then again, I had never heard of a single ambulance medic system like Greenburgh EMS either). While I can certainly understand having extra sets of equipment, that is one big price tag to dish out in order to carry an extra Lifepak, narcotics, etc, but like Remember585 said, I am certainly not knocking on the Empress guys, its more curiosity. If it works for them then great, good luck with the new piece, I hope it serves Yorktown well.

Do they still carry the third set of gear anymore? Every time I ever asked anyone about the third set, it always seemed to be the set that was raped for restock since it never got used. I can't remember the last time a third medic got activated.

And I'm with 585. I never did understand why they didn't split the medics up into two trucks. One in Mohegan (JV perhaps) and one in Yorktown (near the triangle perhaps).

Who is this vehicle owned by? I know it is operated by empress, but who owns it, empress or YVAC?

As for the car itself, looks nice. I still don't understand why people keep getting 3 or 4 radios in their vehicles, but hey, that's a personal choice I guess...

It's gotta be nice to have one radio on the YVAC frequency for Yorktown jobs, and having the ability to also listen to Mohegan VAC freq. at the same time. They do have to call on location to 60 and Yorktown Police(who dispatches them).

If there is an ALS call, two medics go. If another ALS call drops, the other medic responds.

No matter what call it is, not just ALS, the medics are dispatched and both respond in the single vehicle. It could be broken finger on the south east end of town off crow hill and a more serious call up in mohegan by lexington and route 6 and they would still have to travel to both calls.

As for the more buffy side of the new car, it comes complete with a "Rumbler" siren. Lemme tell you, there is no chance in he11 you wont feel that car coming up behind you

This is what the contract that Yorktown Adavanced Life Support District designed and Empress is bound by. Empress is simply meeting the terms of a contract.

Empress has the capbility of paging a third medic, or having a third medic going out during shift change. Between 8P and 8A, the contract states the Empress must have the capability of paging out a second medic to come into work.

The Yorktown ALS District flycar is centrally located within the town. Having two flycars would add significant cost to the taxpayers- another vehicle, maintainence, gas, housing for the medic, etc. Both agencies (YVAC,Mohegan) call volumes have grown tremendously since the inception of the flycar program. But, all this is determined by the ALS District Board that meets every month and it's their decision basic on statisics and other factors as to what works and what they can afford-it does affect taxes.

Empress owns the flycar and is reponsible for equipping it (I'm pretty sure) and is required to replace it at certain intervals.

I still don't understand why people keep getting 3 or 4 radios in their vehicles, but hey, that's a personal choice I guess...

Because it's Westchester County, and nobody can operate on the same frequencies. Interopertability!!! Isn't that a bad word? You have the YVAC frequency, Yorktown Police, Mohegan Fire, 60 Control, and Empress EMS radios. As for the radios being seperate, it's easier to swap out if one goes down.

This is what the contract that Yorktown Adavanced Life Support District designed and Empress is bound by. Empress is simply meeting the terms of a contract.

Empress has the capbility of paging a third medic, or having a third medic going out during shift change. Between 8P and 8A, the contract states the Empress must have the capability of paging out a second medic to come into work.

The Yorktown ALS District flycar is centrally located within the town. Having two flycars would add significant cost to the taxpayers- another vehicle, maintainence, gas, housing for the medic, etc. Both agencies (YVAC,Mohegan) call volumes have grown tremendously since the inception of the flycar program. But, all this is determined by the ALS District Board that meets every month and it's their decision basic on statisics and other factors as to what works and what they can afford-it does affect taxes.

Empress owns the flycar and is reponsible for equipping it (I'm pretty sure) and is required to replace it at certain intervals.

Because it's Westchester County, and nobody can operate on the same frequencies. Interopertability!!! Isn't that a bad word? You have the YVAC frequency, Yorktown Police, Mohegan Fire, 60 Control, and Empress EMS radios. As for the radios being seperate, it's easier to swap out if one goes down.

Because it totally SUCKS when the single radio with all the channels goes down in the middle of the **** hitting the fan! I have had to deal with a comms failure in the middle of trying to pin down the location of a cardiac arrest and it was in the days before cell phones were widely available for personal use so no I couldn't just grab my cell! I would never have a unit without at least 2 radios in it! Yes, three would be nice! BTW, I like the truck and wish them good luck with it!

Edited by Mark Z