Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PEMO3

DC to Denver "Shoe Bomb" Attempt

9 posts in this topic

NBC and ABC are reporting that a man tried to ignite a small explosive on a flight from Washington D.C. to Denver. ABC is reporting the man is Mohammed al Modadi a diplomat from the Qatar embassy in Washington. According to ABC:

The suspect was identified by authorities as a diplomat in the Qatar embassy in Washington, Mohammed al Modadi. The FBI said the man had full diplomat immunity as the 3rd secretary and vice-consul

CNN is now reporting that the explosive was a "shoe bomb."

Time is reporting that the Qatar Official was sneaking a smoke, not blowing up his shoes...

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1978633,00.html

The New York Times is reporting the same, additionally they state the official became involved in a disturbance with an Air Marshall

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/08/us/08flight.html?hp

quote from the Times...

"The situation here is not like the shoe bomber,” an official said

Edited by bvfdjc316

Diplomatic immunity should NOT be an excuse for leniency. This guy should have been locked up for this stupid stunt, you know that you or I would have been... in a heartbeat.

Send this knuckle head back home.

Diplomatic immunity should NOT be an excuse for leniency. This guy should have been locked up for this stupid stunt, you know that you or I would have been... in a heartbeat.

Send this knuckle head back home.

Not that I don't agree, but wouldn't that basically make any diplomatic immunities * and void? Then our diplomats won't be able to drink and drive in other countries! :blink: Maybe this also prevents our guys and gals from being prosecuted for some of the crazy laws in other countries? I think the point of DI is to make them non-prosecutable for most of the same crimes as you an I. Definitely send him home for good.

NBC and ABC are reporting that a man tried to ignite a small explosive on a flight from Washington D.C. to Denver. ABC is reporting the man is Mohammed al Modadi a diplomat from the Qatar embassy in Washington. According to ABC:

The suspect was identified by authorities as a diplomat in the Qatar embassy in Washington, Mohammed al Modadi. The FBI said the man had full diplomat immunity as the 3rd secretary and vice-consul

CNN is now reporting that the explosive was a "shoe bomb."

Amazing how the media leapt to conclusions and got it completely and totally wrong.

Diplomatic immunity is just that, immunity. The State Department could revoke his credentials and declare him a persona non grata to make sure he stays out of this country but we'll have to see what our "kinder and gentler" administration wants to do with this moron.

Yes, he wanted to take a quick smoke. Then he said the wrong thing! Guess that he thought his DPL status would protect him.

All were poor choices.

So it seems that he made it though gate security in DC with a cigarette lighter or matches? Any comments.

So it seems that he made it though gate security in DC with a cigarette lighter or matches? Any comments.

It seems a good part of the TSA's screening is just a facade. I've seen all ends of the spectrum of screening quality, sometimes in the same airport day to day. The on thing that is standard, is that there seems to be no standard. Flying in and out of DCA this weekend, it will be interesting to see if this incident has any effect.

BTW, wouldn't it be easy to leave matches in your pocket and pass through a metal detector vs. putting them through the X-ray where they'd possibly be seen?

I put matches and my lighter in the screening tub. I have never been stopped.