Welcome to EMTBravo.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

Home Gas Explosions: Preventive measures?

8 posts in this topic

Again the TV news runs a very scary piece about a gas explosion leveling a home in Clifton, NJ a few days back.

And there have been several in Queens with homes fully destroyed upon exploding.

Why are there so many of these explosions and can a homeowner take any preventive measures aside from leaving the premises after dialing 911 and opening all doors and windows???

It seems like there may be neglience on the part of the utility providers responding to these jobs too.

Maybe I never should have converted from oil heat to gas years back!!! LOL

But it really is tragic seeing these homes leveled like tornadoes hit them...

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital Center

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again the TV news runs a very scary piece about a gas explosion leveling a home in Clifton, NJ a few days back.

And there have been several in Queens with homes fully destroyed upon exploding.

Why are there so many of these explosions and can a homeowner take any preventive measures aside from leaving the premises after dialing 911 and opening all doors and windows???

It seems like there may be neglience on the part of the utility providers responding to these jobs too.

Maybe I never should have converted from oil heat to gas years back!!! LOL

But it really is tragic seeing these homes leveled like tornadoes hit them...

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital Center

If you recall in the home gas explosion in Clifton, NJ, the homeowner evacuated the house then went back in and flipped on a light switch then everything went boom...

If you think there is a gas leak, just get yourself and all of the PEOPLE in your house out, and dont touch or use anything with power or heat or a spark or batteries etc just leave and call the fire department when you are safely away from your house....

here is a a link from the Ohio Public Utilities Commission regarding gas leak safety:

http://www.puco.ohio.gov/PUCO/Consumer/Information.cfm?id=5812

Edited by bvfdjc316

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One solution is the all-electric home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since many homes are equipped with cordless phones and many elderly use the secondary bells and light flashers one would wonder if even asking dispatch to try the call back number could be enough to set off an explosive event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you recall in the home gas explosion in Clifton, NJ, the homeowner evacuated the house then went back in and flipped on a light switch then everything went boom...

If you think there is a gas leak, just get yourself and all of the PEOPLE in your house out, and dont touch or use anything with power or heat or a spark or batteries etc just leave and call the fire department when you are safely away from your house....

Just like most elementary kids are taught/know from fire prevention...

Get out, and STAY OUT!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we take a call for an odor of gas we tell them to evacuate.

If you tell them to turn out a light, that spark could trigger an explosion.

If you tell them to open the windows, you could be letting out some gas that was above the UEL and now it lowers into it's explosive range.

Perhaps units such as these could help:

First Alert Explosive Gas Detector

PEMO3 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the same note lets make sure we do not cause the explosion. It's easy to become complacant on gas leaks since 95% are not serious i.e. defective stove, burner left on.

Only use intrinsically safe equipment. Leave the TIC on the rig because it's not intrinsically safe. Don't ring the doorbell or turn on light switches. Turn your handlight on out side.

We investigate with two seperate meters. A TIFF (orange meter used by most utilities) pretty sensitive good for locating the source of most leaks. The second meter for most trucks is an ALtair which provides a percent of the LEL reading. This allows you to know when your dealing with a minor or serious leak.

One thing to remember is the meters the utility crew uses measure the concentration of gas in the air. It is not uncommon for our members to be assiting a utility crew check basements or gain access. Gas workers are for all intensive purposes deal with gas leaks every day and may not treat the situation with the urgency we feel is necessary. This is all important because a reading of 5% on the utility workers meter is the equivalent of 100% of the LEL. It means the environment is explosive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we take a call for an odor of gas we tell them to evacuate.

If you tell them to turn out a light, that spark could trigger an explosion.

If you tell them to open the windows, you could be letting out some gas that was above the UEL and now it lowers into it's explosive range.

Perhaps units such as these could help:

First alert Explosive Gas Detector

Great find. A search of the internet found this item available at Lowes for $60. Home Depot has another brand for the same price. Small price for peace of mind!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Members

    No members to show