Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

DISGUSTED about the LACK OF RESPECT!

14 posts in this topic

Much like other modern day newspapers offering on line service and allow people to leave comments some MORON decided that Capt. Vince Iaccino death was an appropriate time and place for a paid vs. volunteer war in the story about his death in the Poughkeepsie Journal.

Who knows if that person is a member on this site, regardless this person needs to GROW UP!

This post is not an invitation to start that war because no one wants to hear about it it's your own opinion.

My gripe is the lack of respect for someone who spent the last 22 years giving back to the community as a firefighter.

Story look under the 3rd group of comments

Rest in peace Captain / President

Jim

ryang, effd3918 and SageVigiles like this

There's a time to fight battles, and the time of a LODD is not it. But knowing some people's attitudes, it's not surprising...

I read all of the comments. I could not really find one that was largely pro volunteer or pro career. All I saw was a poster who misspoke about survivor benefits.

Is this the original post in question:

too bad hyde park doesn't have a PAID fire departmnet so this mans family would get a pension or some state compensation to help deal with the loss. when will hyde park ever learn...

This is the statement made by this same person at 23:04

oh i agree with you, these men and women are putting their lives on the line every time they go on duty, im just saying, i think simply the fact that they do this, they should receive some compensation

helicopper likes this

The username in question that started the whole thing is 17, thats what his profile on there says... I'm not surprised.

RIP Captain Vince Iaccino

The username in question that started the whole thing is 17, thats what his profile on there says... I'm not surprised.

RIP Captain Vince Iaccino

It is a real shame. RIP Capt.

There was an article on another website about ignoring comments made on these newspaper websites as the posts are "anonymous" and people will post things they would never say in person nor would they post if their identity was known.

One would wonder why the papers still allow "anonymous" comments but the more controversial a story becomes, the more "hits" the website gets and the greater the advertising revenue.

Paid, combo, volunteer, whatever.....there is always someone out there who hates us and has an axe to grind. Ignore them.

Beekman Fire will have the honor of protecting Roosevelt while they mourn the loss of their brother.

R.I.P. Captain

http://www.artsjournal.com/diacritical/2007/03/the-great-newspaper-comments-d.html

sekh92 wrote:

too bad hyde park doesn't have a PAID fire departmnet so this mans family would get a pension or some state compensation to help deal with the loss. when will hyde park ever learn...

4/13/2010 4:08:26 PM

sekh92 wrote:

im glad im wrong with the fact that his family will get compensation, they deserve it. and six figure pensions? what are you talking about. Go to the city of Poughkeepsie, there are approximately sixty members, all paid, and the city can afford it, along with a one hundred member police department, an inner city as a matter of fact, why can't hyde park do it?

4/13/2010 9:59:18 PM

sekh92 wrote:

oh i agree with you, these men and women are putting their lives on the line every time they go on duty, im just saying, i think simply the fact that they do this, they should receive some compensation

4/13/2010 11:04:45 PM

These are all the comments by the person in question. I don't think it is paid vs. volunteer as much as misguided/uninformed about survivor benefits. And don't get yourself all worked up about an anonymous post in a newspaper blog, it's just another anonymous comment by someone uninformed. Nothing to lose sleep over.

As for respect, there is precious little respect for any of us in any emergency service right now and we have to work to earn it, not demand it or expect it.

64FFMJK and PFDRes47cue like this

These are all the comments by the person in question. I don't think it is paid vs. volunteer as much as misguided/uninformed about survivor benefits. And don't get yourself all worked up about an anonymous post in a newspaper blog, it's just another anonymous comment by someone uninformed. Nothing to lose sleep over.

As for respect, there is precious little respect for any of us in any emergency service right now and we have to work to earn it, not demand it or expect it.

That is exactly what I was trying to point out, thanks for the clarification.

Much like other modern day newspapers offering on line service and allow people to leave comments some MORON decided that Capt. Vince Iaccino death was an appropriate time and place for a paid vs. volunteer war in the story about his death in the Poughkeepsie Journal.

Who knows if that person is a member on this site, regardless this person needs to GROW UP!

This post is not an invitation to start that war because no one wants to hear about it it's your own opinion.

My gripe is the lack of respect for someone who spent the last 22 years giving back to the community as a firefighter.

Story look under the 3rd group of comments

Rest in peace Captain / President

Jim

I just finished reading the pojonews comments section on this.......makes me sick to my stomach...not the right place to air these type of things and really... really... not the right time!

I just finished reading the pojonews comments section on this.......makes me sick to my stomach...not the right place to air these type of things and really... really... not the right time!

Wrong time for that crap. Especially in that thread.

While distasteful as it is, you give persons like that all the power by even acknowledging what they do.

On a side note...respect is a funny thing...and I always conduct myself as a professional and demand respect when appropriate in the street. Anything else in a public forum is fair game and I do not expect respect for what I do as no one held a gun to my head to do it. I demand respect for who I am as a person and the professional I am. No one cares what we do..and I'm just fine with that. Pay no attention to that moron and you get all the power.

M' Ave likes this

Guys, this sort of thing happens in comment threads about people dying all the time. Pete Steele from the band Type O Negative died yesterday, and the second or third comment was DRUGS, followed by something about how he was a bad role model, etc. Face it, there are people out there who just don't like people in our profession. For whatever reasons.

Remember that guy who wrote the scathing article about what he saw at a LODD funeral?? Same type of person. Ignorance, or just dislike fuels what they say. Try this, IGNORE IT!!! For every three people that respect, admire, appreciate what we do, there's one that doesn't. It's how it goes. We don't have to like it, we just have to learn how to deal with it.