Welcome to EMTBravo.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

Carbon Monoxide Alarm Testing - How to?

7 posts in this topic

How can I test a newly purchased Carbon Monoxide alarm??

This tiny battery version is made by First Alert, but it appears really cheap and flimsy.

Thank You

Stick it in front of your car exhaust? (Not sure here, but that's the easiest source of CO that I can think of)

Stick it in front of your car exhaust? (Not sure here, but that's the easiest source of CO that I can think of)

Not to close. If you flood it, you can kill the sensor.

I would follow the manufacturers instructions. Here are two additional sites that might help.

US Consumer Product Safety Commission

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/466.html

Underwriters Labortories

http://safetyathome.com/home-safety/home-safety-articles/test-your-carbon-monoxide-iq-and-protect-your-loved-ones/?fbid=sTdQ7AmdVvc

Not to close. If you flood it, you can kill the sensor.

Good to know. This of course reminds me....I need to check the date on my CO detector. They need to be replaced, what?, every ten years I think? I got the one I have now with my house so I've no idea when it was purchased. With the new mandate, should we have one on each level? Or is one on the bedroom level (I have a three level townhouse) sufficient?

Good to know. This of course reminds me....I need to check the date on my CO detector. They need to be replaced, what?, every ten years I think? I got the one I have now with my house so I've no idea when it was purchased. With the new mandate, should we have one on each level? Or is one on the bedroom level (I have a three level townhouse) sufficient?

Link to a copy of Amanda's Law, which went into effect in New York State on February 22, 2010

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/code/COAlarm.htm

Anyone can post a link to the law. I was hoping to incite some discussion regarding the new requirements to pass on the information to others. Care to post the meat and potatoes that the general public (who might see this via google search) needs to know?

Edited by WAS967