Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest WCDES636

Scenario: Pissing off your Dispatch

12 posts in this topic

Just didn't want to be left out of the whole scenario thing!

Be nice to your dispatcher..nuff said.

I'll see if I can dig up some old tapes of me when I was dispatching. I came up with some very creative responses back in the day. :D

One thing I can't take is being questioned on the air. Run the response and talk about it after the fact. With all the scanner heads out there, and the news media carrying them, it really sounds unprofessional to go back and forth on the radio.

Yes, we all make mistakes. Everyone will learn from them, just do it where not everyone in your area can hear the discussion...

I know I have pissed off a dispatcher a time or two, three, four. . . . , but I can only recall once where I actually set out to piss off a dispatcher! I will plead young age and stupidity and throw myself on the mercy of the court ! sad.gif But why would you set out to piss off the dispatcher except in a bout of temporary insanity!

pissing off dispatch happens, one way to fix it is to bring the D&D's at the end of the tour.. In 60-controls case.....

post-1072-127180535708.jpg

One of the things I was notorious for when I was a dispatcher, was telling units who kept begging for a ticket was, "Write it down, you'll have a ticket waiting for you in Quarters." Now that I'm a boss, I usually say it loudly across the platform. That and if I hear something I don't like, I make it a point to have a polite word with anyone who speaks to my people like garbage. Usually that's enough.

One of the things I was notorious for when I was a dispatcher, was telling units who kept begging for a ticket was, "Write it down, you'll have a ticket waiting for you in Quarters." Now that I'm a boss, I usually say it loudly across the platform. That and if I hear something I don't like, I make it a point to have a polite word with anyone who speaks to my people like garbage. Usually that's enough.

That says it all, "JBE". Agree 100 %.

Even though I'm on a truck F/T, I still pick up my extra money as a P/T dispatcher. Those of us who have been on both sides know there is a definate love and hate relashionship. It's never gonna end. Inasmuch that there are medics that have nothing better to do than to make their dispatchers job more difficult, there are dispatchers who do the same inturn to the medics. No doubt the dispatcher has a difficult job.

Ancient EMS Proverb:

Remember it is better to be pissed off, than pissed on

:P

"You may know where you are,

God may know where you are,

But if the dispatcher doesn't know where you are........

You better be on good terms with God!!!"

Your Dispatcher has a list from your FD that specifies what goes for every type incident.

There are Chiefs who jump on the radio as soon as it is dispatched and change the response for no apparent reason.

They do this over and over again.

helicopper likes this