Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnnyOV

Bill Looks to Adjust Requirements for New York State Firefighters Memorial

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should any FF who dies "In the Line of Duty" be placed on the wall?

• Yes, an LODD is an LODD
    • No, There is a difference between an accident and someone sacrificing themselves for others when it comes to being placed on the wall

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 posts in this topic

The committee that has denied Malverne firefighter Paul Brady a place on the state Fallen Firefighters Memorial would lose its authority to make such decisions under state legislation submitted Wednesday by Assemb. Harvey Weisenberg (D-Long Beach).

Weisenberg's proposal would allow on the wall the name of any firefighter recognized as killed in the line of duty by the state Workers' Compensation Board, the U.S. Department of Justice, the state Office of Fire Prevention or the Fireman's Association of the State of New York.

http://www.firehouse.com/news/top-headlines/bill-looks-adjust-requirements-new-york-state-firefighters-memorial

Interesting points of views on both sides, how do you all feel?

I thought to be a LODD it has to be while responding to, working at, or returning from, a call. I would imagine maintenance is in the same catagory as training. Can you get a LODD for training? You may, I really don't know. I believe in the military you can.

So if a firefighter, volunteer or paid is killed doing maintanence, during training, responding or returning from a call, etc it will not count as a LODD by this committee?

So if a firefighter, volunteer or paid is killed doing maintanence, during training, responding or returning from a call, etc it will not count as a LODD by this committee?

If I am interpreting the committee correctly, The bill would allow the LODD to be given (so full benefits, ect), but the name would remain off the wall.

Edit: I think right now there is a committee who says, yay or nay to peoples names being placed on the wall. Currently there is an individual who was killing in the line of duty legally wise, but the committee voted to keep his name off the wall because he "wasnt bailing out a 3rd story window" and "his name would 'cheapen' the sacrifice others have made."

Edited by EMSJunkie712

Unfortunately just as with many things there are lines that have to be drawn in regards to the entitlement of certain benefits. Just as unfortunate is that we rely on others to often make those determinations whether it be for LODD or a injury sustained on the job and whether a career member gets one form of coverage versus another and if serious enough whether disability retirement will apply.

Also when talking about benefits the state doesn't effect if you get federal benefits or not. They will take that into consideration but still make their own determination.

There are obvious things that require a fine look at when it comes to such benefits. I have never believed that a parade unless required to attend is a duty that warrants a LODD status. Training is another boat being that it is a duty which involves significant risks at times and similar to alarms and is an example how policies can help by having "requirements." Maintenance again can depend on the task...you come to the station and are working on a chain saw...you have a heart attack..is that a LODD? Or you are at the station and it begins snowing for a significant forecast of snow...you are putting on the tire chains per policy when something happens and the truck crushes you...to me that is a LODD. Or here's another...you are filling the booster tank upon returning from a car/brush whatever fire...you get off the truck go to put the hose back, slip on a puddle of water when the tank over flowed striking your head and you die later from a closed head injury....LODD? Now side twist...you don't die from any of the above...are you covered by disability? Or workers comp as a career member? The scope of such injury/death determinations are going to become ever so narrower as the economy and people take interest in governmental expenditures.

>>"The committee that has denied Malverne firefighter Paul Brady a place on the state Fallen Firefighters Memorial would lose its authority to make such decisions under state legislation submitted Wednesday by Assemb. Harvey Weisenberg (D-Long Beach)."<<

The committee had been debating the concept of a tragic accident while on duty vs. a death while risking ones life to aid another prior to this case.

They had already determined that if every "on-duty" LODD was on the wall, it would reduce the honor for those who died while operating a great personnal risk.

For example; should we honor an 85 year old member (with a history of multiple cardiac events) who has an additional event while tracking member responses as the same as the FDNY firefighter who ran into the world trade center?

The FF Brady LODD was a tragic and stupid accident (he was on top of the rig, when it was driven out of the station, so the floor could be cleaned. He was trapped between the rig and the ceiling). When this case was denied by the committee as a tragic accident, but not up to the same honor, the dept. is trying get Albany to go arround the committee by mandating it.