Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WCDES-FTA

FDNY Lime Green Engines

18 posts in this topic

Ok Everybody, who can supply me with the FDNY Lime Green engine numbers? Doing a major Code3 kit bash, including the lime green units, the Super Pumper tender unit, changes done after delivery, and some of the older FDNY tower ladders using the generic Code3 Mack Aerialscope. I have the units 85,58 and 45, the ones code3 built on the Mack CF. Secondly, were the Macks the only ones lime green, or did some of the AmFrance units get painted green also?

First, as a previous member of a Company with a Lime Yellow apparatus, FDNY, along with other FD's, had Lime YELLOW apparatus. Some FD's (such as Verplanck still have Lime GREEN) apparatus.

With that said, Joe Pinto has some pictures of FDNY Lime Yellow apparatus at EMTBravo.com. This is a good start for you.

According to this thread at Firehouse.com there was also a Lime Yellow American LaFrance Engine.

Edited by SteveOFD

Engine Co 65 was the ONLY American LaFrance with that color. But I always thought it was called "Lime Green". Guess I learned something.

Ok Everybody, who can supply me with the FDNY Lime Green engine numbers? Doing a major Code3 kit bash, including the lime green units, the Super Pumper tender unit, changes done after delivery, and some of the older FDNY tower ladders using the generic Code3 Mack Aerialscope. I have the units 85,58 and 45, the ones code3 built on the Mack CF. Secondly, were the Macks the only ones lime green, or did some of the AmFrance units get painted green also?

I believe that the lime colored Macks were assigned to: E-10,E-41*,E-42,E-45,E-46,E-58,E-85,E-94,E-236,E-277.

*Note that when Squad 41 was formed, they were assigned the former apparatus of E-41. The members of the Squad added a front platform to hold the 35' hydrant connection, some additional emergency lighting and a mechanical siren.

efdcapt115 likes this

Here's my shot of engine 65 when new . 1981Amercan Lafrance

post-289-12733751271.jpg

First, as a previous member of a Company with a Lime Yellow apparatus, FDNY, along with other FD's, had Lime YELLOW apparatus. Some FD's (such as Verplanck still have Lime GREEN) apparatus.

With that said, Joe Pinto has some pictures of FDNY Lime Yellow apparatus at EMTBravo.com. This is a good start for you.

According to this thread at Firehouse.com there was also a Lime Yellow American LaFrance Engine.

The color of verplanck is SLIME green!!! Lol

On a serious note never knee fdny had lime yellow fire trucks. The super pumper tender does anyone have a photo I would live to see what it looked like

Ken

The color of verplanck is SLIME green!!! Lol

On a serious note never knee fdny had lime yellow fire trucks. The super pumper tender does anyone have a photo I would live to see what it looked like

Ken

Here's a bunch of Super Pumper System photos:

My link

Here's a bunch of Super Pumper System photos:

My link

Thanks for pics....does fdny still run these?

Nope the super pumper has been out of service for years...

Edited by bvfdjc316

Thanks for pics....does fdny still run these?

The Super Pumper and Super Pumper Tender are no longer in service ( They were sold to collectors back in the early 80's I believe). The Satellites still exist and they are referred to as the 'Maxi Water System'. There are two in Brooklyn: Satellite 3 (E 284) and Satellite 6 (E-207). There is one in each of the other four boroughs

Satellite: / Housed With:

1 E-9

2 E-72

5 E-159

Edited by bad box

The Super Pumper when taken out of service was sent [ by request ] to the navy for testing on dewatering ships. After that was complete it was returned to New York and then sold a few times untill it was saved by a collector and now lives in Michigan, The Tender was sold to a used truck yard in New Jersey and sat there for a few years until picked up by a collector in California. Both rigs are some what restored and are being taken care of .

The Super Pumper when taken out of service was sent [ by request ] to the navy for testing on dewatering ships. After that was complete it was returned to New York and then sold a few times untill it was saved by a collector and now lives in Michigan, The Tender was sold to a used truck yard in New Jersey and sat there for a few years until picked up by a collector in California. Both rigs are some what restored and are being taken care of .

Any idea where in michigan? Thanks for the information.

Any idea where in michigan? Thanks for the information.

Check out this link for a photo of the Super Pumper as well as the website for the museum where the rig is located.

My link

I may be mistaken but recently there was that L/G rig that they absorbed from the Coast Guard on Governor’s Island

The Super Pumper and Super Pumper Tender are no longer in service ( They were sold to collectors back in the early 80's I believe). The Satellites still exist and they are referred to as the 'Maxi Water System'. There are two in Brooklyn: Satellite 3 (E 284) and Satellite 6 (E-207). There is one in each of the other four boroughs

Satellite: / Housed With:

1 E-9

2 E-72

5 E-159

The Maxi Water System evolved into the Satellite Water System in 1998. With Maxi-Water becoming Satellite 6. Sat-1/E-9, Sat-2/E-72, Sat-3/E-284, Sat-4/E-324, Sat-5/E-159, Sat-6/E-207. They respond on certain street, bridge, and special building boxes on the First Alarm(Bronx Terminal Market, Navy Yard, Manhattan Bridge), any foam operation, or where a Marine Company is operating at a land incident. Any All Hands in SI, and any multiple alarm in the city. If you look at where they are all quartered, they are within a short distance of a major highway, and can get to certain places quickly if needed.

Prior to 1998, the same rules were in effect, with the exception of an additional Satellite, associated Engine, and E-207/Maxi responding on the 3rd, and E-207 being Water Resource. The officer of E-207 would look at maps of the water mains, and find the nearest large diameter main to hook up to. They would advise the dispatcher while responding "Maxi-Water hook up point will be...wherever". Example: Box 1477 in Manhattan(W. 125 and Lenox Avenue) Satellite 1 on the 2nd Alarm(South Side of 125) Satellite 2, and 207/Maxi on the 3rd.

As for the Lime Green Engines, they were, 10,(Later given to E-4 and repainted) 41,42,45,46,(both repainted to red/white)58,65(ALF),73,85,94,236,277. 236 totalled theirs in a wreck in 1985 or 86 out on either Liberty, or 101 Avenue right over the Queens border. 263 got 85's after 85 was disbanded in 1986. 277's went to Corrections and was repainted blue, white and orange. That was in the early 90's I think.

Edited by JBE
efdcapt115 likes this

The Maxi Water System evolved into the Satellite Water System in 1998. With Maxi-Water becoming Satellite 6. Sat-1/E-9, Sat-2/E-72, Sat-3/E-284, Sat-4/E-324, Sat-5/E-159, Sat-6/E-207. They respond on certain street, bridge, and special building boxes on the First Alarm(Bronx Terminal Market, Navy Yard, Manhattan Bridge), any foam operation, or where a Marine Company is operating at a land incident. Any All Hands in SI, and any multiple alarm in the city. If you look at where they are all quartered, they are within a short distance of a major highway, and can get to certain places quickly if needed.

Prior to 1998, the same rules were in effect, with the exception of an additional Satellite, associated Engine, and E-207/Maxi responding on the 3rd, and E-207 being Water Resource. The officer of E-207 would look at maps of the water mains, and find the nearest large diameter main to hook up to. They would advise the dispatcher while responding "Maxi-Water hook up point will be...wherever". Example: Box 1477 in Manhattan(W. 125 and Lenox Avenue) Satellite 1 on the 2nd Alarm(South Side of 125) Satellite 2, and 207/Maxi on the 3rd.

As for the Lime Green Engines, they were, 10,(Later given to E-4 and repainted) 41,42,45,46,(both repainted to red/white)58,65(ALF),73,85,94,236,277. 236 totalled theirs in a wreck in 1985 or 86 out on either Liberty, or 101 Avenue right over the Queens border. 263 got 85's after 85 was disbanded in 1986. 277's went to Corrections and was repainted blue, white and orange. That was in the early 90's I think.

Does Satellite 2 still respond on the ALL hands on City Island?

I don't believe it does, however it still responds on any 10-75 west of Broadway and north of 231st Street.