Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IzzyEng4

This is happening........IN WESTPORT!

8 posts in this topic

Okay folks, we have been all talking about layoffs, budget cuts, ect. .....but this is ridiculous!!!!!

It's time once again to re-think everything we think is right or otherwise this will happen to us!!!

JUST ONE MORE EXAMPLE OF CLUELESS INSANITY: "IT'S ENOUGH TO MAKE YOU GO CRAZY"...OR SIMPLY "TIE" ONE ON.

Monday, May 17, 2010

While we don't live in Westport (CT), we couldn't help but pass this story on to you related to the same issues most FD's are dealing with-the budget. It seems however, in Westport, that the WLPG's (Westport Library Power Guns) HAVE the power-but have probably never dialed 9-1-1 for something being on fire.

In Westport it's Library YES! Fire Department NO!

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/news/fullstory/newsid/107913

Just disgusting!!!

Well I hope they can all rely on the library to keep them safe, ensure their property is secure and provide other basic emergency services... oh wait thats the fire departments job....This not only puts people lives and property at risk but also the lives of firefighters waiting for their backup.

This is flat out stupid. With such a high mean family income, you would think the families have all the books they need in their 1.2 million dollar houses. tongue.gif

As a young guy, I worked as a letter carrier in Westport, Ct from 1970-1975. For me it as a Great job. Single, living at home with Mommy and Daddy, good pay, and good benefits. But I think even in those days, the general attitude of most people there was that they were always better than everybody else. It was a completely different lifestyle than what I had known growing up about 15 miles away in Bridgeport. In Bridgeport, if a young guy had a job as a letter carrier, or a cop or fireman, it was looked upon as having a Great job. But it was sure different in Westport.

As I remember, the firefighters there talking that in Westport, people didn't have much use for public servents. I knew most of the firemen then because I would take my lunch break at the firehouses. With all those beautiful homes, fancy expensive cars, maids, butlers, and swimming pools, those people taught me a lot. I saw at a young age that money really doesn't buy happiness, because so many people there appeared to be UNhappy.

I do remember that there were some good people though, and they were happy. I delievered the mail to a guy by the name of Harry Ackley. He was the Fire Chief of the dept. A Great Guy. I think his son is now the chief. Great people. I also delievered the mail to the Fire Dept Union President at the time. I think his nickname was "Moose", and a few other firefighters and police officers. But none of them had the maids or swimming pools. But they seemed happy.

I hope the firefighters of Westport are careful when it comes time for them to perform. You could get hurt there and those people could care less. I respected those firefighters then, and I respect them now. But for me, I have no use for about 90 % of the people there. Just a very different lifestyle and priority for them. Just my own opinion I formed a very long time ago. Give me the ghettos of Bridgeport any day. At least I know where those people are coming from.

Edited by nfd2004
PFDRes47cue, 16fire5 and RescueKujo like this

As a young guy, I worked as a letter carrier in Westport, Ct from 1970-1975. For me it as a Great job. Single, living at home with Mommy and Daddy, good pay, and good benefits. But I think even in those days, the general attitude of most people there was that they were always better than everybody else. It was a completely different lifestyle than what I had known growing up about 15 miles away in Bridgeport. In Bridgeport, if a young guy had a job as a letter carrier, or a cop or fireman, it was looked upon as having a Great job. But it was sure different in Westport.

As I remember, the firefighters there talking that in Westport, people didn't have much use for public servents. I knew most of the firemen then because I would take my lunch break at the firehouses. With all those beautiful homes, fancy expensive cars, maids, butlers, and swimming pools, those people taught me a lot. I saw at a young age that money really doesn't buy happiness, because so many people there appeared to be UNhappy.

I do remember that there were some good people though, and they were happy. I delievered the mail to a guy by the name of Harry Ackley. He was the Fire Chief of the dept. A Great Guy. I think his son is now the chief. Great people. I also delievered the mail to the Fire Dept Union President at the time. I think his nickname was "Moose", and a few other firefighters and police officers. But none of them had the maids or swimming pools. But they seemed happy.

I hope the firefighters of Westport are careful when it comes time for them to perform. You could get hurt there and those people could care less. I respected those firefighters then, and I respect them now. But for me, I have no use for about 90 % of the people there. Just a very different lifestyle and priority for them. Just my own opinion I formed a very long time ago. Give me the ghettos of Bridgeport any day. At least I know where those people are coming from.

Excellent post. More people should think and see the world like you!

Libraries still exist?!

I thought everything could be found at Wikipedia, Google or Amazon!

Saving libraries is not uncommon. Those that directly support the libraries tend to be a close knit group who turn out to town meetings and bring their voters. These aren't employees but donors, supporters and volunteers that tend to carry some favor with town councils. The library in our town seems to be way over funded when Fire and Police jobs are on the line. no one wants to hear how irrelevant the internet has made the libraries. And try getting statistics on how often their used... It always amazes me to see the turnout in communities when the library is threatened, but the near empty room as emergency services get drained.